Walk a city block in Washington and you’re sure to see more than one person glued to a BlackBerry. President Obama famously fought to keep his personal BlackBerry after his inauguration. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton uses one, as do many members of Congress.

But Washington’s well-documented BlackBerry addiction is on the wane. For many D.C. denizens, whether or not they’ll switch from BlackBerry to iPhone or Android isn’t a question of if, but when.

“You can play with an Android a lot more,” said Andrew Trembley, a consultant at the World Bank. “I wouldn’t bother with the BlackBerry; they’re business phones” — good for e-mail and little else.

“I enjoy typing with ease,” said Cammie Flippen, a paralegal at Wiley Ryan and a BlackBerry user. But, she said, “in two months, I’m switching over.”
    Over 85 percent of congressional staffers use a BlackBerry for work, as do about 45 percent of lobbyists, according to a March survey by the George Washington University Graduate School of Public Management, the Original U.S. Congress Handbook, and ORI. More than 1 million government employees in North America use BlackBerry, according to RIM.
    What Will Washington Do Without BlackBerrys? Move On - Sophie Quinton - NationalJournal.com

Photos here:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/pictu...fair--20120704
    07-05-12 06:51 AM
    Now that's a scary thought......politicians walking around playing games on their phones, as if they do alot of work now
    carullo and bunky1971 like this.
    07-05-12 06:55 AM
    Title should be, "what WOULD Washington do", since blackberrys will exist for some time.
    07-05-12 06:57 AM
    Now that's a scary thought......politicians walking around playing games on their phones, as if they do alot of work now
    Most of them don't even show up to vote on issues. I guess now they will be tapped as easy as the rest of us.
    07-05-12 06:58 AM
    What about Hollywood. All the spy, counterintelligence, espionage films show BB phones for high security.. Will they now carry Apple and Android devices... That won't be very realistic.. I just won't believe those movies anymore

Just watch Safehouse, Ryan Reynolds at the beginning of the movie is an inexperience CIA operative and you can clearly see he's using an iPhone with the Apple logo and everything. In the end when he proves himself and becomes a full fledge agent he's carry a BB Bold

NOW THAT'S REALISISM!
    hpjrt likes this.
    07-05-12 07:07 AM
    When I go to business meetings, all the people sitting on either side of the table are playing on their iphones and androids, but the person at the head of the table, the guy who gets sh*t done, always, ALWAYS has a blackberry.

When you look at the personalities of people around the table, the phones match, the lazy slackers have their iphones and androids so they can play games, constantly, every spare minute they have (or every spare minute they make for themselves).

The blackberry people do, thor got it right, it really is a certain type of person that use blackberry to help them with their life instead of promoting laziness.
    07-05-12 07:13 AM
    Oh no; this may slow down the legislative process.
    07-05-12 07:13 AM
    Oh no; this may slow down the legislative process.
    I fear BB10 would actually speed it up.
    07-05-12 07:16 AM
    Lots of assumptions there
    07-05-12 07:27 AM
    Hopefully, they get a lot less done.
    07-05-12 07:37 AM
    You guys are silly... Washington and the Military will do just fine without BlackBerry.

U.S. military unveils mobile devices strategy - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com
    07-05-12 07:38 AM
    07-05-12 07:38 AM
    You guys are silly... Washington and the Military will do just fine without BlackBerry.
    I'll help you out with the fine print.
    The U.S. military already uses more than 250,000 BlackBerry devices built by Research In Motion, and has begun piloting the use of several thousand devices made by Apple or powered by Google's Android software.
    That's not saying they are doing fine without, that is saying they are testing the waters to see if using other devices will even work. They aren't even in the double digit percent range of replacement.
    07-05-12 07:43 AM
    Well we see how intelligent the BLACKBERRY users are, just look at the state of RIM right now. I'm sure the individual at the head of the table has one.
    07-05-12 07:49 AM
    Nope - that's a different article from the National Journal.
    elderberryman likes this.
    07-05-12 07:57 AM
    Well we see how intelligent the BLACKBERRY users are, just look at the state of RIM right now. I'm sure the individual at the head of the table has one.
    So now you're implying that Blackberry users lack intelligence?

That's an asinine thing to say.

Forum rules prevent me from answering that remark in the manner it deserves.
    Pete6 and hpjrt like this.
    07-05-12 07:59 AM
    We should rate our politicians according to the device that they use, toys or BBs. Serious, get the job done types probably use BBs, while others use toys. Oops, Obama uses a BB.
    07-05-12 08:05 AM

Don't take offense, but I see even worse on this forum towards Apple and Android users every day.
    07-05-12 08:06 AM
    We should rate our politicians according to the device that they use, toys or BBs. Serious, get the job done types probably use BBs, while others use toys. Oops, Obama uses a BB.
    So does Hinze or Haines or whatever his name is.
    07-05-12 08:17 AM
    A lot of people in Washington have BlackBerry so there's a lot of older BBs that need upgrading.

One person in the article was quoted as saying her iPhone was easier for viewing pdfs...she most likely had an older BB and jumped on the iPhad wagon. My 9810 is great for viewing pdfs! And I can easily make pdfs.

Whichever excuse is printed...people in Washington can't admit they're interested in android or iPhone for the games because it's not productive...
    07-05-12 08:25 AM
    Just watch Safehouse, Ryan Reynolds at the beginning of the movie is an inexperience CIA operative and you can clearly see he's using an iPhone with the Apple logo and everything. In the end when he proves himself and becomes a full fledge agent he's carry a BB Bold

NOW THAT'S REALISISM!
    Ryan Reynolds is Canadian. He's a RIM plant.
    07-05-12 08:30 AM
    Fortunately for you we do not rate our members by the idiocy of their posts.....
    john_v likes this.
    07-05-12 09:10 AM
    You are correct. Please read the Personal Attacks section.
    07-05-12 09:16 AM

Not disagreeing with you but see post #6 above. Bad behavior all around.
    07-05-12 09:29 AM
    You are correct. Please read the Personal Attacks section.

No. Maybe you should. Had I called YOU an id!ot you'd have a valid point.
    Since it was your post I was referring to, you don't.
    07-05-12 09:32 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD