This is a serious question I've been asking myself.

Why do we wait for BB10 when there is IPhone, Android and the emerging WP?

All have been better phones for years and continue to get better.

So why do we stick to BB and why do we wait for BB 10? Especially that these new phones will be out months before BB10.

I posted that I was switching and asked advice on what to switch to, but I keep wanting to wait. I can't just figure out why.

It's not like we get paid for staying with BB. It's not like BB has more to offer and it's not like their devices that are much behind the others are cheaper.

Theres a sony hayabusa phone coming out that's mouth watering.

Someone please tell me straight up, why do we wait?

For me, i hate all touch screens. They are complicated. I guess the keyboard, the track pad, menu, talk, end, back buttons.

All that is over. I can't imagine a physical keyboard bigger than the 9900. I imagine it being pretty ugly. Based on some phones I've seen that tried it and failed.

Even with the things I like, is that even a good enough reason to stay compared to these amazing other phones?

Do we just like the name "BlackBerry"?

Not to mention they continue to screw us over.

Someone seriously explain to me, why do we stay or wait?

I really don't want to hear about people being faithful. That's kind of a cop out or a lame excuse. Faithful to who or what? And how does that benefit you?
    07-03-12 06:33 PM
    I think you answered your own questions.. nothing more to say really.
    07-03-12 06:37 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting for a BB-style QWERTY keyboard phone that is able to browse the web at least as well as the current Iphone, Android, or WP8 offerings.

Is that so much to ask for?
    shaleem likes this.
    07-03-12 06:38 PM
    The flaw in your question is that we are all waiting for BB10.

BlackBerry users kind of break down this way in my opinion:

1) Those that are truly waiting for BB10. I mean like counting the days waiting.
    2) Those content with what they have but have high hopes for BB10 and patience.
    3) Those content with what they have and could not care less about BB10.
    4) Those dissatisfied with BlackBerry and looking for the nearest exit.

Also, if you do not want to hear about brand faithfulness you have cut off half
    of your discussion before it even starts.
    07-03-12 06:46 PM
    one word CrackBerry

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-03-12 07:09 PM
    I have a question.....first of all I don't like Apple, but my question is what can the latest Android devices do that my BB 9900 can't do? I really want to know and I want to know the usable features that are better, not the "nice to play with" features. Seriously though? I am not trying to be nieve, I just would like to know.
    07-03-12 07:23 PM
    Because my current Blackberry works for me, so why switch? I can wait.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-03-12 07:31 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting for a BB-style QWERTY keyboard phone that is able to browse the web at least as well as the current Iphone, Android, or WP8 offerings.
    Concur, though browsing the web on a phone isn't as important to me.

Is that so much to ask for?
    Quite possibly.
    07-04-12 06:05 AM
    Iphone lacks LED and removable battery. Phone is fragile.

Android is way too big, Google wants too much info and the virtual keyboard can't keep up with me. There is no delete all in email, it uses tons of data. Phone is fragile.

I haven't tried a Windows phone yet.

BlackBerry has what I need in a device. I like the BlackBerry UI and how it fits together. Security, battery, durability.

I'm eventually get a BlackBerry 10 physical keyboard device. I'm not waiting though, I love mt 9930. Best phone I've had and I'll probably be using this another year or so.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 07-04-12 at 06:18 AM.
    mirren, grover5, jkomo001 and 3 others like this.
    07-04-12 06:15 AM
    Iphone lacks LED and removable battery. Phone is fragile.

Android is way too big, Google wants too much info and the virtual keyboard can't keep up with me. There is no delete all in email, it uses tons of data. Phone is fragile.

I haven't tried a Windows phone yet.

BlackBerry has what I need in a device. I like the BlackBerry UI and how it fits together. Security, battery, durability.

I'm eventually get a BlackBerry 10 physical keyboard device. I'm not waiting though, I love mt 9930. Best phone I've had and I'll probably be using this another year or so.
    You speak as if the android phone you use to have is the only android phone in existence. My 2 daily drivers keep up perfectly fine, and are far from fragile. And there is certainly a delete all in the email client I use. Great ecosystem and fantastic hardware/software options. Very flexible.

Ios is fine, but very basic and restricted. Great platform/ecosytem, but no hardware choices.

Wp is good with great hardware options like android, but too basic of a platform on its own. Has a good developing ecosystem.

Bb is even more basic, with no real hardware/software options available for my usage anymore. Solid security though I suppose fwiw. Not very reliable or durable IMHO either (aside from the Playbook).

Was excited for bb10, but not really at all anymore. My Playbook has waited long enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Ynomrah; 07-04-12 at 06:38 AM.
    07-04-12 06:34 AM

....snip....
    Define "better"

My Skyrocket outspecs the iPhone that I just gave to a family member who needed a phone. Yet the experience of the iPhone was smoother, more seamless than the Skyrocket. So specs alone were not the deciding factor. Specs are good on a sheet of paper, but when dealing with the experience of the devices, the iPhone won. So in that instance the iPhone was better.

But the iPhone cannot be customised in any capacity other than to change the wallpaper unless it's jailbroken. And for me, that was ridiculously boring. Additionally, although the battery life was better than the Skyrocket, it cannot be changed. So in that sense, the Skyrocket, although with horrendous battery life, is better because I can just pop a new battery in. That is a big deal to me so the Skyrocket was better.

But both the iPhone and Android are notorious for security problems. That matters to me, regardless of what the usual suspects say about security not being a concern. Additionally, the level of customisation is higher than the iPhone so in that sense the Blackberry is better than the iPhone. Blackberry's BBM is a huge big deal to me, and it is not available on any other platform....WhatsApp is close to BBM, but it failed me during the recent power and network outage this last weekend. BBM continued. So for the things that I consider to be critical, Blackberry is better.

I always carry my BB and used to carry either the iPhone or the Skyrocket. The iPhone was such not a match for me that I literally *gave it away* when a family member needed a phone. Now I have my BB and the Skyrocket. I can use either, at will. Yet if I had to give up one, I will give up the Skyrocket. That flies in the face of your statement, that those devices are "better." Clearly, for me, they are not.

So, to answer your question about why I wait for BB10....because it's the next generation of my preferred platform.
    07-04-12 06:36 AM

But both the iPhone and Android are notorious for security problems. That matters to me, regardless of what the usual suspects say about security not being a concern. .
    So you have ran into security problems then? If not, where are you getting this from?

07-04-12 06:43 AM
    So you have ran into security problems then? If not, where are you getting this from?

I happen to read the news.

I know from the news that cancer exists, yet I haven't experienced it.
    I know from the news that there are car thefts all over the city, yet my car sits in the driveway.
    I know from the news that there are child molesters, yet my children are untouched.

I don't have to experience something to know it exists.

Do YOU read the news?

Start with this one. Or just google android security vulnerability 2012 and you'll get a couple of hits.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...issions-75001/

Here, I'll do it for you.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1600&bih=762

Here is for iOS

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...Iphone-Os.html

Now, as I mentioned, this matters *to me.*

It doesn't matter to a lot of people. THAT does NOT matter to me.

I care about the things that are important TO ME. The others....pppppfffffttttttt.....let the chips fall where they may....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-04-12 at 07:33 AM.
    FMB8900, Cesare21, grover5 and 7 others like this.
    07-04-12 07:23 AM
    Because of many of the issues you've mentioned (and the fact that I personally don't like the iPhone design - oh no!) I switched to a Windows Phone 7. Which I am really enjoying as it works for me (which really is the only important thing in the discussion) and has never crashed or locked up. BBM had gone into oblivion as family and coworkers had switched from their BlackBerrys, and it has all the apps I need.

Why did I switch? I got bored with my BlackBerry, and I switched before the latest delays.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    07-04-12 07:43 AM

I know from the news that there are car thefts all over the city, yet my car sits in the driveway.
    I know from the news that there are child molesters, yet my children are untouched.

Do YOU read the news?

Start with this one. Or just google android security vulnerability 2012 and you'll get a couple of hits.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...issions-75001/

http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1600&bih=762

Here is for iOS

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...Iphone-Os.html

I care about the things that are important TO ME. The others....pppppfffffttttttt.....let the chips fall where they may....
    So all of a sudden news organizations are be-all credible? Okay, fine...

You like to be informed and watch the news. Great. So since you like to read and post links, read this:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ky-not-falling

Its one thing to be informed, but another thing to live your life vicariously through the perspective of the ill.

07-04-12 07:50 AM
    Why do we wait for BB10 when there is [...]
    'Cause I don't want APPL and GGL to rule my life and RIM is my weapon of choice.
    Besides that, I really like my 9900 and PB - never be my best friends - they are mobility tools that trustingly served me on a daily basis for both pro and personal usages. I like the brand image that brings accuracy on my desk.

I could stick to it, but I believe BB10 will bring some "magic" and extend the mobile logic to the next level. That's what I've been waiting for: not a "swiss knife" that tries to barely do things it's not intended to, but a solid "cross over" hybrid platform.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-04-12 07:54 AM
    So all of a sudden news organizations are be-all credible? Okay, fine...

You like to be informed and watch the news. Great. So since you like to read and post links, read this:

Its one thing to be informed, but another thing to live your life vicariously through the perspective of the ill.

And it is quite another to

1) deny the clearly independently documented
    2) ignore that throughout all I wrote I cited *my preferences* and what *I* deemed important, while stating that others use and think are literally ppppppffffffftttttt to me
    3) ignore the fact that I carry a Skyrocket but use it in a manner that I see as having the least risk

And linking to Android central quoting an Android developer's conference denying the existence of Android security vulnerabilities is.....um....unbiased.....

Right.....

Link to an independent expert security source proving that Android does not have a higher number of security vulnerabilities and you might give me cause to pause....as of now, I remain with the documented evidence cited.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-04-12 at 08:14 AM.
    shaleem, 9of13, mirren and 5 others like this.
    07-04-12 07:54 AM
    As it is off-topic, I'll keep it short.
    First : This is good news that security consideration hits the Android dev community ears, and that GGL starts enhances guidelines and tools for that. Kudos.
    Now, until this gets mandatory, this is nothing. If you have 199 apps that have solid security, and one that isn't, you'll NEVER gain any kind of efficient security. Open markets can't make this append. So I believe this will be accurate for "closed version" (Samsung ?) intended for companies, but not for the general audience.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-04-12 at 10:12 AM.
    07-04-12 08:05 AM

If I wanted an iPhone, Android or WinPhone and/or truly believed any of them were 'better' than what I have, I can assure you I would already have one.

The fact of the matter is, app selection aside, BB7 is not that far behind the the others, either from a hardware or a software perspective. I'll give you that BB doesn't offer the same full touch-screen experience as the others, but that isn't what those of us to whom you're posing this question buy BB's for. Ditto for LTE and the just-won't-go-away front-facing camera argument. BB7 OS is pretty rock-solid and feature-packed. The devices themselves, while not dual-core as so many would have us believe is absolutely required, are 1.2 ghz single-cores with integrated graphics processing. They are not slouches.

As I noted in another post, most of the people complaining that BB is so far behind everyone else are those who haven't actually used the latest BB phones.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-04-12 at 09:24 AM.
    shaleem, grover5, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    07-04-12 09:14 AM
    I'm not waiting. I'm looking at it as my next phone if.....

I am also not waiting for win8 but looking at it.

For now I like what I have and they are working fine. If they weren't I would already be using something else. When I am ready for something else I'll see what's going on at that time.

I am hoping bb10 will be the one at that time but if it isn't then it is on to what is.
    sleepngbear and spike12 like this.
    07-04-12 10:02 AM
    I don't like Android phones. There is just something about them that isn't as crisp to me as BB OS and iOS.

I don't want iOS cause I just don't really care for the product. There was a time I thought it would be a great alternative but the more I look at it the more I get bored. And really aside from apps and facetime(which I probably would not use anyway) I don't feel that I would gain too much.

I use my phone for SMS, BBM, Internet, photos and Facebook. If its not equal its only a half step behind the other two platforms and really I could care less. Plus my contract is up August 2013. So BB 10 being delayed doesn't really bug me as I plan to get a new carrier and phone at that time anyway(Unless I can't control that tech buggyness).

Also my Blackberry's have all been dead reliable. Even with the abuse they receive.

All that together: My phone satisfies me, not due for a new phone yet, reliability/durability and no appealing alternative(though if WebOS comes back ), I stick to BlackBerry. Though I am actively looking for a Pre 3 just to have some fun with.
    Cesare21 and Chrisy like this.
    07-04-12 10:14 AM
    these threads are funny when I read them...I see people talking up blackberry and others talking up iOS and android...others make blackberry sound terrible and others make ios sound too simple and stupid to use...

Ultimately it's the individual who chooses and who cares what other peoples reasons are, just use what you enjoy...

I had the iPhone and got great fun out of it, and of course used it as a phone but I got the Bold 9900 when it came out and I am loving this phone!! The keyboard is amazing and for me, the applications are plenty and do what I need of my phone...i can call, email, text, bbm, check facebook or twitter when the feeling arises...the integration of apps in blackberry is amazing! something that iOS is JUST getting with facebook now...

So "what exactly are we waiting for?"

well i will have to say that everyone is waiting for different things and if people who think blackberry isnt nearly as good as the competition then y not leave and go to them? if you havent left, there is a reason u stick with your blackberry...people become used to their platform of choice and BB10 for me (from the little previews i have seen) looks absolutely amazing!!! ill wait a couple more months to have a 100% device released! If RIM brings all the goodies from the current blackberry os to BB10 but with enhanced new cascade apps running them and a browser that is looking like it will destroy the competition, well then BB10 will be one amazing device!

iPhone 5 will be good for those who like iOS, Samsung GS3 will be awesome for those who like Android, and Nokia Lumia 900 will be good for those who like WP...and BB10 phone will be awesome for those who like Blackberry...there is no right or wrong, there is only personal preference and we all choose the phone that works best for us...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    9of13, Cesare21 and spike12 like this.
    07-04-12 10:28 AM

Do YOU read the news?

Zero-permission app reveals major Android security vulnerabilities

android security vulnerability 2012 - Google Search

Here is for iOS

Apple Iphone Os : List of security vulnerabilities

You can add this to the mix. Beware.

The true face of the Android threat
    07-04-12 04:37 PM
    Right now I'm waiting for dinner to be done so I can eat.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-04-12 05:27 PM
    You can add this to the mix. Beware.

The true face of the Android threat
    Very interesting read.

Of course, the usual suspects will predictably say that
    1) if it doesn't happen to him/her, it doesn't exist
    2) people who pay attention to security concerns wear tin foil hats

meh....I know the real of it...

Thank you for the link.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-04-12 06:26 PM