Includes a dual GPS-Magnetic compass, speedometer, camera/screen flashlight, and emergency flashers.

On phones without a magnetic compass, it will function as a GPS-only compass.

* Please note: Originally, NavLight was a combined app with simultaneous compass and camera flashlight. Unfortunately, those features did not work simultaneously on many phones (possibly due to the combined power consumption), so the compass and flashlight features had to be separated for the sake of quality and reliability. They are downloadable as a single product from the store, or separately via direct-install:

Links: App World Download

Direct-install Magnesium Flashlight

Direct-install Tritium Compass (for OS 5-6)

Direct-install Tritium Compass (for OS 7)

Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-09-12 at 11:12 AM. Reason: description updated
    beaver5963 and Blacklatino like this.
    07-03-12 01:31 PM
    Hello,

Torch 9810 user here, OS 7.1.0.536 the screen flashlight works but the camera flash part doesn't seem to be working. Everything thing else works great! Nice looking app!
    liquid_metal likes this.
    07-05-12 11:49 AM
    Hello Liquid Metal,

I tried the test file and still not working on the 9810. I sent to a buddy that has a old storm 2 and he says it works great on his phone. Thanks for looking into the problem!
    07-05-12 02:54 PM
    Couldn't figure it out. Update pending, the compass and flashlight have been separated.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-09-12 at 11:13 AM.
    beaver5963 likes this.
    07-05-12 09:13 PM
    Same device and OS as beaver 5963. But, totally appreciate the multi-functions of this app.
    liquid_metal and beaver5963 like this.
    07-05-12 09:45 PM
    Hello Liquid Metal,

It works perfect with your new OTA links! Thanks for all your help and the great app!!

Regards
    liquid_metal likes this.
    07-06-12 08:41 AM
    Hello Liquid Metal,

It works perfect with your new OTA links! Thanks for all your help and the great app!!

Regards

Thanks. Apparently there may still be a problem for some devices. Any more feedback, working or not, is appreciated. I can send free non-expiring copies to users who help.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-06-12 at 04:10 PM. Reason: shortened
    07-06-12 03:17 PM
    Thanks. Apparently there may still be a problem for some devices. Any more feedback, working or not, is appreciated. I can send free non-expiring copies to users who help.
    I installed the compass on a BB 9860 Torch running 7.1.0.523 (not really interested in the flashlight app). It loads fine and displays North immediately, but then 2 weird things happen:

1. It hangs for about one minute. Pressing keys display no visual feedback, then suddenly the keystrokes entered queue up and display as intended.
    2. After the first directional display, the compass doesn't seem to work anymore. If you rotate the phone on the horizontal plane, the compass directions follow the phone, so North moves with the phone.

Hope these help.

Elrohir59
    liquid_metal likes this.
    07-07-12 12:32 AM
    I installed the compass on a BB 9860 Torch running 7.1.0.523 (not really interested in the flashlight app). It loads fine and displays North immediately, but then 2 weird things happen:

1. It hangs for about one minute. Pressing keys display no visual feedback, then suddenly the keystrokes entered queue up and display as intended.
    2. After the first directional display, the compass doesn't seem to work anymore. If you rotate the phone on the horizontal plane, the compass directions follow the phone, so North moves with the phone.

Hope these help.

Elrohir59
    Thanks. First of all, for the record let me note that this is the last native app I will ever develop for BlackBerry, because it is the worst platform to write software for.

Back on-topic. After researching this, the problem seems to be that the OS does not do what it's supposed to do per the documentation. It's supposed to report to the app whenever the magnetic or GPS data changes, but it is not doing that consistently. I've got to rewrite the app to read the data a different way. I'm working on it, and hopefully by Monday will have a new version that works consistently on all models.

It would also help if there were not 53 different models to test for. I can't afford 53 smartphones
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-07-12 at 03:58 AM.
    07-07-12 03:54 AM
    Thanks. First of all, for the record let me note that this is the last native app I will ever develop for BlackBerry, because it is the worst platform to write software for.

Back on-topic. After researching this, the problem seems to be that the OS does not do what it's supposed to do per the documentation. It's supposed to report to the app whenever the magnetic or GPS data changes, but it is not doing that consistently. I've got to rewrite the app to read the data a different way. I'm working on it, and hopefully by Monday will have a new version that works consistently on all models.

It would also help if there were not 53 different models to test for. I can't afford 53 smartphones
    Understood. Thanks for sticking with it and here's waiting for Monday (hopefully).

Elrohir59
    liquid_metal likes this.
    07-07-12 11:03 AM
    Hey Liquid_Metal,

I just installed the OS7 Tritium compass app - on a hybrid based on 7.1.0.523 - compass functions 100%

BTW - when first launched, Tritium heading was off by 130 degrees - then, I launched the native compass app, performed "wavy arm recalibration" - once the native compass was recalibrated, then Tritium compass worked correctly.

I did a comparison to heading readings between the native compass app and Tritium:

When native is set to magnetic north - Tritium reads approximately 15 degrees more easterly (i.e. native shows 180 south; Tritium shows approximately 165)

When native is set to true north - Tritium reads approximately 25 degrees more easterly (i.e. native shows 180 south - Tritium shows approximately 155)

Also noticed that Tritium heading seems to waver more than native compass.

NOTES:

1) The above is intended to be good input - not complaints - again, this is a great app - love the format, love the information and content - you clearly put a ton of work into this.

2) RE: the comparisons to the native compass - who knows how accurate the native compass is - could be that Tritium (other than the wavering) is more accurate in terms of heading.

Looking forward to trying out the updates you mentioned.
    liquid_metal likes this.
    07-07-12 11:13 AM

Well, just want you to know that this is an awesome app and I appreciate it. BTW, you're not the first dev to make that statement about the platform. Could possibly explain why OS 7 has been overlooked, unfortunately. Anyway, thanks again.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    liquid_metal likes this.
    07-07-12 12:11 PM
    Thanks for the feedbacks, it's getting harder to get feedback these days.

While rewriting the app, I'll just take another careful look at everything, and maybe add in a calibration feature and an option to have the rotating dial indicate either magnetic or true.

As for it jumping around -- personally I prefer it to instantly show the latest data, but if there's too much jumpiness then I can increase the sampling rate and add in animation with a simulation of "mass" of the dial, just like a physical compass. That will come at some power expense.

Also just ordered another test device to have a better chance of working all these issues out asap.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-09-12 at 11:15 AM.
    07-07-12 01:10 PM
    Cool - the calibration feature may take care of the deviation between what the native compass and Tritium indicate (both on true and magnetic basis) - and as for the "jumpiness" it is not all that bad - so maybe when you increase the sampling rate, don't do TOO much - the jumpiness would then calm down some, but not have too much hit on battery rate.

Again - this is an AWESOME application!!!
    07-07-12 02:04 PM
    It now uses Autonomous mode, rather than Assisted mode, so it will work without a network connection.

Also, it seems that even on some OS 5-6 models the flashlight and compass would not work together -- so I separated them for all OS versions. Suspect it was the combined power consumption, can't think of any other reason.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-13-12 at 08:07 PM. Reason: removed temporary links
    07-09-12 06:52 AM
    What is the diff between the two apps?

Are you not the same developer? Both have the same apps but with different company names.

Free Flashlight - Download Flashlight - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

Buy Compass - Download Compass - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

07-11-12 12:33 PM
    It's the same business -- same contact address -- but different brands in the store.

They are some of the same products, but sold different ways.

If I put all that under the same vendor name it would have been a mess -- how to see what's part of the Liquid Nitrogen group and what's not? This way it's all clear and simple on one page in the store.
    07-11-12 10:20 PM
    Re. the compass, after getting my 9930, I was able to reproduce and solve the problems. The inaccuracy has been fixed, the GPS no longer goes to sleep after a short time, and it has a calibration option, and selection of what reading to show on the dial.

The links in the o.p. point to the latest version.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-13-12 at 09:38 AM. Reason: beta links removed
    07-12-12 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD