Whether you are 100% sure RIM is survive, or 100% sure they died last year, is there any point to the belittlement that we see everyday on here now? There is absolutely nothing constructive about getting on the internet and resorting to personal attacks on a smartphone forum. If you think the people supporting RIM are idiots that's wonderful! I'm a huge advocate of free speech, and I'm even more in support of spirited debates. A personal attack is the lowest form of either. If your point is better made by making someone feel like an idi0t then you likely are one. Going through these threads it's obvious. RIM isn't the only thing falling apart. This community is falling apart. It's amazing enough to see people who have been RIM's biggest cheerleaders do an about face in the last few weeks and spelling out their doom, but belittling someone over your point tells me this: You are incapable of having an actual discussion; You're in desperate need of attention.

To the folks slamming people supporting RIM personally. Are you cheering RIM's demise? Do you want less choices with smartphones? Do you want people to lose their jobs? There is a big difference between speaking the truth and actually attempting to be hurtful. I'm not suggesting everyone walk on eggshells by any means, but I think the point is clear.

To the people cheering on RIM and slamming naysayers. Do you actually think that only your opinion matters? There are some people on here with over 10,000 posts and 5 years under their belts and I'm seeing people who started a crackberry.com account THIS YEAR calling these veterans "trolls". The troll card has gotten out of hand. Someone speaking their mind isn't a troll, in fact the most trolling I see are people saying "WHY ARE YOU HERE?!?!" if that's your best response, I would suggest taking a debate class. Would this be a response in an actual conversation in person? If you can't think of a response during a conversation you're having with someone in the room do you suddenly scream 'PFFT WHY ARE YOU HERE?

The point is both sides are perfectly able to make a point without the end point being that someone else's perspective is invalid because you've assumed something about their personal life that you can exploit as inferior and therefore rendering anything they type irrelevant.

There is no reason this community need collapse upon itself just because a handset manufacturer is drowning. Many of you likely know my side of the situation, and I enjoy debating/conversing. But the attacks need to stop.
    07-02-12 09:40 PM
    Well said Katiepea. There has been lot of it from both side of the fence.
    07-02-12 09:48 PM
    I think that the problem with forums in general is the anonimity that allows people say whatever they want. Like you said, would you have a real conversation with someone that way? No of course not but a lot of people here don't think that way and just go from thread to thread and pi** on anything positive and vice versa. I wish all the avatars and names were real and maybe we'd see much different conversations.
    pantlesspenguin and ajst222 like this.
    07-02-12 09:50 PM
    Why are you here again?
    ayekon likes this.
    07-02-12 10:11 PM
    Amen katiepea! Very well spoken.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-02-12 10:19 PM
    Regarding the attacks and all that fun jazz - supporting a brand is like supporting your favorite hockey team. As a fan, you're most likely going to be more critical of your team than someone cheering for your arch rival.

I don't believe that anyone here really wants RIM to fail; Canadian's have a vested interest in RIM's continued success. Anyone with half a brain (or more) knows that the mobile marketspace can change very quickly so RIM certainly still has a chance to win or lose big. No one - not Google, Apple, nor Microsoft, and obviously not RIM have figured out the perfect mobile solution... there is still plenty of room to grow for all 4 players.
    07-02-12 10:24 PM
    Crackberry nation is fragmenting. Unfortunately it's a necessary process. It's still reverberating from RIM's bad news. The WebOS forums suffered much the same way for a while when they were 1st purchased, then betrayed by HP. (There was much consternation, but I don't recall the level of vitriol I see here)

Soon those who have lost heart will leave for 'greener' pastures. Those who have more stamina will chose to stay. Things will settle down and Crackberry will have fewer members.
    07-03-12 01:10 AM
    I too am an advocate for free speech and people are free to speak their minds here. But let's stick to the facts and not resort to personal attacks. Each of us have our own opinion and yes, you are entitled to it. But that doesn't give you a free pass to call anyone who has an opposing view an idi0t.

Katiepea said it right. If you need to belittle someone to make a point, it just looks bad upon you as you need to step on someone to make yourself heard.

People, if you have nothing good to say, it's better to be branded as a mute rather than branded as an idi0t yourself.
    kstock and Thunderbuck like this.
    07-03-12 01:15 AM
    I really like this Quote....

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain.
    07-03-12 02:05 AM
    Couldn't have said it better myself, katiepea. Intelligent debate and exchange of ideas is how we learn and grow. Belittling people because of their opinions and choices is pure arrogance and achieves nothing.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-03-12 01:20 PM
    I don't care for the personal attacks either. I don't like that many threads get bogged down in discussions that frankly would not and could not be had face-to-face. I don't like having to skim through pages at a time of a topic only to find a point where the discussion gets back on track.

But, from a high-level perspective, RIM is in a state of transition where the range of outcomes is indeed very broad and no one can, at this point in time, accurately predict. The lack of new software/hardware from now through Q4 (the point on the newly published timeline for the Playbook 4G) provides a vaccum that's not conducive to a forum like this. With the lack of any new news to discuss, the discussions will have a natural tendency to be more editorial than factual.

Fact of the matter is, however, that in a forum with very little to discuss, there's a lot of discussion going on. Crackberry is vibrant - more so than just about any other tech-based community that I know.

The personal attacks have got to stop. People have to pretend that their responses are being made face-to-face and not behind the curtain of anonymity. People have a tendancy to behave better face-to-face.

But aside from the personal attacks, it's also clear that people here are very passionate (one way or the other) about RIM. This passion is great and it's what drives a site like this. If we all could be just a bit more considerate about the feelings of others, then this is still the premiere tech site on the web.
    07-03-12 01:32 PM
    While I agree with your reasons expressed I think there's a false equivalence presented here.

There's a difference between the means/ways/intentions that "both sides" go about posting/commenting/replying.

Sorry, but generalizing and saying that "both sides" do the same will not make people stop. Why should they?

Only solution presented in this scenario is a total ban/shutdown for all. And maybe that's the point.

I think we all know that only one "side" would be happy if the forums/site shut down. That alone is reason enough to differentiate the two sides as not equal in my books.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-03-12 04:05 PM
    Whether you are 100% sure RIM is survive, or 100% sure they died last year, is there any point to the belittlement that we see everyday on here now? There is absolutely nothing constructive about getting on the internet and resorting to personal attacks on a smartphone forum. If you think the people supporting RIM are idiots that's wonderful! I'm a huge advocate of free speech, and I'm even more in support of spirited debates. A personal attack is the lowest form of either. If your point is better made by making someone feel like an idi0t then you likely are one. Going through these threads it's obvious. RIM isn't the only thing falling apart. This community is falling apart. It's amazing enough to see people who have been RIM's biggest cheerleaders do an about face in the last few weeks and spelling out their doom, but belittling someone over your point tells me this: You are incapable of having an actual discussion; You're in desperate need of attention.

To the folks slamming people supporting RIM personally. Are you cheering RIM's demise? Do you want less choices with smartphones? Do you want people to lose their jobs? There is a big difference between speaking the truth and actually attempting to be hurtful. I'm not suggesting everyone walk on eggshells by any means, but I think the point is clear.

To the people cheering on RIM and slamming naysayers. Do you actually think that only your opinion matters? There are some people on here with over 10,000 posts and 5 years under their belts and I'm seeing people who started a crackberry.com account THIS YEAR calling these veterans "trolls". The troll card has gotten out of hand. Someone speaking their mind isn't a troll, in fact the most trolling I see are people saying "WHY ARE YOU HERE?!?!" if that's your best response, I would suggest taking a debate class. Would this be a response in an actual conversation in person? If you can't think of a response during a conversation you're having with someone in the room do you suddenly scream 'PFFT WHY ARE YOU HERE?

The point is both sides are perfectly able to make a point without the end point being that someone else's perspective is invalid because you've assumed something about their personal life that you can exploit as inferior and therefore rendering anything they type irrelevant.

There is no reason this community need collapse upon itself just because a handset manufacturer is drowning. Many of you likely know my side of the situation, and I enjoy debating/conversing. But the attacks need to stop.

Ever seen a more clear case of a pot calling the kettle black? LMAO
    07-03-12 04:20 PM
    Ever seen a more clear case of a pot calling the kettle black? LMAO
    Yes, your post...
    07-03-12 04:24 PM
    This place reminds me of XBOX Live and PSN. People talk $H!7 because they are behind a screen and for them, it's fun seeing people get so pissed off about things that, in their opinion, isn't really all that serious.
    h20work likes this.
    07-03-12 04:27 PM

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain.
    Advice that RIM failed to follow many many many times.
    07-03-12 04:30 PM

I've been there and done that. Removed all doubt
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-05-12 08:47 PM
    Whatever...this is foremost a blackberry forum...live with it

Everybody see Crackberry Kevin's t-shirt idea...there ya go, nice and punctual
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-05-12 08:59 PM
    Whatever...this is foremost a blackberry forum...live with it

Everybody see Crackberry Kevin's t-shirt idea...there ya go, nice and punctual
    Did you even ready anything she said, or do you always like to post nonsense?

BB users are bashing BB users. Some are Pro-RIM and some are on the "RIM is dead" bandwagon.

Or did you just post for your usual ?
    07-05-12 09:10 PM
    Nicely said.

Those posting about 'sides' being different don't get it either. It is counter to what she said.
    07-05-12 09:16 PM
    Did you even ready anything she said, or do you always like to post nonsense?

BB users are bashing BB users. Some are Pro-RIM and some are on the "RIM is dead" bandwagon.

Or did you just post for your usual ?

BB users bashing BB users

I see a lot of non-BB users bashing BB users. And I see a lot of former BB users bashing BB users

This thread was started by a non-BB user

You're a droid fanboy...

And the poster below you with the "nicely said" is an apple faboy...
    Last edited by anthogag; 07-05-12 at 10:13 PM.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-05-12 10:05 PM
    Obviously this is a site that would be more geared towards BB users.

What I don't get are two things--

Insulting another person or group of people based on what phone they use.

Insulting, talking trash, or being derogatory behind a keyboard towards someone else. Seriously. If normally wouldn't say something to someone's face, then don't be hateful and type it on a keyboard.
    07-05-12 10:05 PM

I see a lot of non-BB users bashing BB users. And I see a lot of former BB users bashing BB users

Actually I'd be willing to bet if we wasted our time combing through threads, you'd find far more BB users that directly insulted non-BB users rather than the other way around. And, no, I don't mean insulting a phone because I don't consider someone's opinion of my mine the same as an opinion about me. Just an opinion, not worth arguing about though.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-05-12 10:10 PM

You're a droid fanboy...
    DROID fanboy? Lmao. Dude you have absolutely no clue. When I'm rocking BB10, will I automatically be a BB fanboy?

You are lying if you do not see the current user bashing. Stop.

And look at that, you bashed me.
    07-05-12 10:13 PM
    Obviously this is a site that would be more geared towards BB users.

What I don't get are two things--

Insulting another person or group of people based on what phone they use.

Insulting, talking trash, or being derogatory behind a keyboard towards someone else. Seriously. If normally wouldn't say something to someone's face, then don't be hateful and type it on a keyboard.
    I completely agree with this. The clear irony is, the OP is one of the biggest violators of both of these.

*Let's play nice ... but you're all still in denial.*
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 07-06-12 at 02:27 PM.
    grover5 and maddie1128 like this.
    07-05-12 10:15 PM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD