I have been seeing a lot of new Playbooks on ebay for sale (cheap). That say not working for parts.

These still have the factory screen protectors on them and most say will not turn on.

Do you think that the batteries are just drained so low they will not turn on.

I have even seen new PB's for sale that say "can not be registered" in description.
    soo can you root this?

What do you think is up?????

07-02-12 03:33 PM
    I saw a PB that "wouldn't turn on " on ebay uk a few weeks ago. �50 but went for �51.

Cheap as chips (well the store price is).

Mine wouldn't turn on, it took me 20 odd small charges and 10 minutes and it was back to normal. If it was the same problem.
    07-02-12 03:50 PM
    I haven't seen any that were new with screen protector still on and listed as not working, but I have won a used one off ebay that was listed as not turning on and I got it going when it arrived ... a 16GB PB for $65 (incl. $10 shippng). It had the loose/broken micro-usb connector (still does) and the standard power adaptor wouldn't work on it. But I also have the rapid charger cradle that uses the magnetic connection and did the stack charge with that and brought it back to life and have been using it ever since as a 2nd PB in my car. Picked up the other magnetic charger from the Crackberry store here and have it in the car with a 12/120volt converter.
    Last edited by oilgeo10; 07-02-12 at 05:38 PM.
    07-02-12 05:32 PM
    The "could not be registered" might be stolen. I would stay away from those.
    07-02-12 06:09 PM
    Here is one with a bad micro usb $42.00 bid

BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB, Wi-Fi, 7in - Black - Works, Sold AS IS 722500000013 | eBay

here is one for $58.00 bid because has password. (lol)

BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK 16GB WIFI BUNDLE - HAS PASSWORD 722500000013 | eBay

Here is one TECHNICAL ISSUE: Does not power up. When connecting via USB cable, red light stays on for about 10 seconds, then flashes yellow 5 times, turns off. Have read online that this might indicate a dead flat battery needing a full charge, which requires the actual power adapter, not a usb cable. SOLD AS-IS!

RIM BlackBerry Playbook 32gb PRD-38548-002 7" Tablet TECHNICAL ISSUE | eBay

Here is another $30.00 DOES NOT POWER ON. SCREEN IS NOT CRACKED.DOES NOT COME WITH CHARGER

BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB, Wi-Fi, 7in AS IS 722500000013 | eBay

Here is the one I saw that has factory protective cover sold for $61.00

AS IS BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK RD121WW TABLET | eBay

lots of good deals it looks like
    Last edited by kretch; 07-02-12 at 06:10 PM. Reason: miss spelling
    07-02-12 06:09 PM
    ^ interesting.
    Sounds like the first two listings will definitely work, the second one sounds almost new and you would just need to enter in the 10 wrong passwords to get it to wipe itself!
    The 3rd PB sounds like it would need the stack charge to revive it. If that didn't work, than the battery might be toast. 4th maybe the same, but looks pretty clean.
    07-02-12 07:36 PM
    here is one for $58.00 bid because has password. (lol)

BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK 16GB WIFI BUNDLE - HAS PASSWORD 722500000013 | eBay

This might be the most disgusting customisation of a Playbook I have ever seen.
    Why on the earth would anyone do this to that poor tablet?
    07-02-12 08:07 PM
    That looks better than the brickbox I mean otterbox
    07-03-12 09:43 AM
    It says in the description

"THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD PLACED REMOVABLE GEM TABS ON THE BACK. THEY ARE REMOVABLE WITH NO LEFT-OVER RESIDUE"
    07-03-12 09:59 AM
    I have even seen new PB's for sale that say "can not be registered" in description.
    soo can you root this?

What do you think is up?????

Remember there was a whole truckload of them stolen last year. Usually the cannot be registered is a problem with the PlayBook not being distributed properly. I get the impression that the serial number does not get enabled on the RIM servers until the PlayBook is shipped to the distributor or retailer. In other words the ones that mysteriously disappear from inventory, the stolen ones and just clerical error cause this problem.

If you get one from an authorized dealer like a BestBuy and it has this problems, RIM support will sort it out if you provide them with a copy of the proof of purchase with the serial number on it. They may even require a photo of the box with serial number on it. If you provide the proper proof, they will enable the serial number on their servers so the PlayBook can be activated.
    07-03-12 10:15 AM
    The "could not be registered" might be stolen. I would stay away from those.
    What he said.

Always ask for the PIN and/or serial number to check with RIM. Always check the vendor's ratings and feedback.
    07-03-12 10:17 AM
    potential water damage. beware
    07-03-12 10:47 AM
    So some people are now trying to shift the truck load they stole by disguising them as defective and for parts?
    07-03-12 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD