We just had a storm passed and a lot of people are without power. I rely on Sprint's wireless service for instances like this. Yet, I've not been able to make or receive calls/texts since 10pm last night. If the text messaging works, it would take 20+ minutes to deliver the message.

My friends who have Verizon, AT&T and TMobile have no issues with calls or text messaging.

I'm in the Northern VA area.

Anyone other frustrated Sprint users in the area?
    06-30-12 04:36 PM
    Hmm maybe because the storm hit a Sprint tower and didn't hit a ATT or Verizon tower. Ya think?
    ayekon likes this.
    06-30-12 05:04 PM
    Or perhaps Sprint didn't invest well enough in much of their infrastructure to ensure their customers get the service they pay for? UPS? Redundant towers?
    06-30-12 05:16 PM
    Why ask a question then reply to it? A redundant tower? How would they do that? Storm hits a tower and an underground one pops up?

If a storm hits a tower from sprint you would be hurting just as you are.

After irene I had no att at my house for a week while everybody else has service. Even sprint.

Accidents happen to even the best carriers towers. If its not a state of emergency they won't set up a mobile station for communication.

Just call them and let them know to get engineers out to the towers.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and meistro like this.
    06-30-12 08:43 PM
    I was just curious if there was any other frustrated Sprint users in my area, and needed to rant.

I tried to call Sprint. But my cell phone would not work. My entire family is on Sprint's family plan and none of the phones would work.

I finally got power back in my home and was able to send them an email. They said their estimated time to have all services restored is next Monday, after 2pm. That's almost 3 days of outage.

I hope they're going to give me a service credit for this inconvenience. I think if you're going to pay for a service, that service has to be reliable and available at all times. If not, there must be some sort of compensation for the inconvenience.

Why ask a question then reply to it? A redundant tower? How would they do that? Storm hits a tower and an underground one pops up?

If a storm hits a tower from sprint you would be hurting just as you are.

After irene I had no att at my house for a week while everybody else has service. Even sprint.

Accidents happen to even the best carriers towers. If its not a state of emergency they won't set up a mobile station for communication.

Just call them and let them know to get engineers out to the towers.

07-01-12 01:18 PM
    3/30ths of my bill wouldn't be worth the time hassling them for a refund...
    johnmarki likes this.
    07-01-12 01:46 PM
    I finally got power back in my home and was able to send them an email. They said their estimated time to have all services restored is next Monday, after 2pm. That's almost 3 days of outage.

I hope they're going to give me a service credit for this inconvenience. I think if you're going to pay for a service, that service has to be reliable and available at all times. If not, there must be some sort of compensation for the inconvenience.
    Be glad that it's a temporary outage caused by a storm and not a permanent coverage issue, which I have. Something like 40% of calls can outright get a "call failed", drop during the call, or never receive incoming calls (straight to VM), as well as sms retry failure all while having full bars and data works fine.

Airrave helps sometimes. It doesn't work 100% like it's supposed to though... Calls still fail to come in or drop sometimes.
    07-02-12 02:43 PM
    I was just curious if there was any other frustrated Sprint users in my area, and needed to rant.

I tried to call Sprint. But my cell phone would not work. My entire family is on Sprint's family plan and none of the phones would work.

I understand. Be aware that if you pay $200 a month that's a $6.66 credit.

If your concerned about reliability get a land line at home. That's what I do. Also helps I get a discount since I am a professional lineman.

07-02-12 11:18 PM
    Be glad that it's a temporary outage caused by a storm and not a permanent coverage issue, which I have. Something like 40% of calls can outright get a "call failed", drop during the call, or never receive incoming calls (straight to VM), as well as sms retry failure all while having full bars and data works fine.

Airrave helps sometimes. It doesn't work 100% like it's supposed to though... Calls still fail to come in or drop sometimes.

The big question for you is why do you stay with an aprox 60% success rate?

If I had a 95% success rate I would leave. Unless you get 40% off your bill monthly you shouldn't have to put up with that horrible reception. Think it may be time to look around at other possibilities.

07-02-12 11:20 PM
    Because I'm trying not to reward Sprint by paying an ETF fee and Sprint CS is being troublesome. According to their definition you don't actually need coverage as long as they "sent someone to look at the area" or mailed you an airrave.

I think it's pretty obvious that if there was no ETF I would have bought another phone on another carrier by now.
    07-03-12 01:14 PM
    Also different providers use different towers (not to mention have different coverage in the first place), so that's why not every carrier will necessarily be impacted the same.
    07-03-12 01:45 PM
    Because I'm trying not to reward Sprint by paying an ETF fee and Sprint CS is being troublesome. According to their definition you don't actually need coverage as long as they "sent someone to look at the area" or mailed you an airrave.

I think it's pretty obvious that if there was no ETF I would have bought another phone on another carrier by now.

I started to have the same problems with sprint. I went to an att corp store after looking up coverage maps for everywhere I go and they payed my sprint etf's on all 3 lines. They also waived the act fee. All I had to do was pay for the phone.

07-03-12 03:16 PM
    Hmm, maybe I'll check the local AT&T store, will have to see if it's corp or not.
    07-03-12 04:04 PM
    Yea I think you can look online to see if it is a corp store or an authorized retailer.

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    07-04-12 10:35 AM
    I live in woodbridge in northern va and I couldn't make calls until 2 days after the storm. And I no what your talking about when it would take 20 min to send a text, it was annoying especially once my other family members and friends can send messages and call people without any problems
    07-07-12 04:39 PM
    Good question I'm up the street from you,Baltimore, but I only had an issue with making calls during the first hour or so when that big storm hit. I thought it was just me.
    07-07-12 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD