Anyone else on here have any experience? I'm wondering if I'll get used to the all touch screen.. I've been a HUGE BB fan for last 9 yrs due to Keyboard + E-mail. However a few of my friends who have Android based phones also receive e-mails on their mobile devices just as fast.

Is the Galaxy also capable of Modem tethering?

Please share any pros / cons. Thx
    06-29-12 04:31 PM
    You won't get a good deal on Galaxy SIII. You are willing to spend $199 on it with a 2-year contract?
    06-29-12 04:43 PM
    Yes, I wouldn't mind spending $199 AT ALL.. I've been available for an upgrade for well over 6 months.
    06-29-12 04:46 PM
    Anyone else on here have any experience? I'm wondering if I'll get used to the all touch screen.. I've been a HUGE BB fan for last 9 yrs due to Keyboard + E-mail. However a few of my friends who have Android based phones also receive e-mails on their mobile devices just as fast.

Is the Galaxy also capable of Modem tethering?

Please share any pros / cons. Thx
    do your friends have gmail acounts? as far as i've heard from droid users their gmail acounts are the only one with a push feature
    06-29-12 04:57 PM
    Go for it. It'll be an awesome upgrade!

Getting used to a touch screen can be a bit strange at first, but give it a go. Personally, I use SwiftKey which is an amazing third-party keyboard available for Android. Let SwiftKey do auto-correction for you as you type and you'll be typing as fast as you used to on your Bold in no time.
    06-29-12 05:02 PM
    Go for it - a huge upgrade to anything you could have.
    06-29-12 05:06 PM
    do your friends have gmail acounts? as far as i've heard from droid users their gmail acounts are the only one with a push feature
    Yes I believe so. (Which is fine with me because that is also my primary account as well.)
    06-29-12 05:29 PM
    Go for it. I am telling it by experience. I made a switch last year from 9930 to Galaxy S2 and that was the best decision I made. Galaxy S3 is even better. I was initially worried about the touch screen vs physical keyboard but it took 3 days for me to get adapted to it.
    Last edited by bhavi_jp; 06-29-12 at 05:39 PM.
    06-29-12 05:35 PM
    Of course the choice is all yours but I have just moved from a Galaxy S2 with the latest android software build to a Bold 9900 and can't be more happy. The screen on the s2 looked amazing but found the touch has got worse over the 8 months I had it and I really missed have a real keyboard. Another weird thing mine would loose the predictive dictionary that sits below the message screen when typing a new or replying to a text. The only way to fix this was to turn off and pull the battery. I have also found the emails are received quicker on the Bold ( I use gmail and a pop3 account from my ISP). I also found the s2 to feel very cheap and plasticky but have not held an s3 so they might of improved the build quality. You might enjoy the much wider choice of apps on android but I have an ipad3 for apps and games, I wanted a phone to use daily and not get frustrated trying to unlock the screen to answer a call or miss type texts and emails. What ever you choose think about your prioritys of what you want out of your phone for daily use and enjoy it don't get buyers guilt after you take the plunge lol.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    06-29-12 05:41 PM

Getting used to a touch screen can be a bit strange at first, but give it a go. Personally, I use SwiftKey which is an amazing third-party keyboard available for Android. Let SwiftKey do auto-correction for you as you type and you'll be typing as fast as you used to on your Bold in no time.
    I agree. Using SwiftKey predictions I can actually type faster than my bold.
    06-29-12 05:41 PM
    You can get Push Email with other email acocunts as well, not just gmail.
    howarmat, andy957, Drew808 and 3 others like this.
    06-29-12 05:46 PM
    Of course the choice is all yours but I have just moved from a Galaxy S2 with the latest android software build to a Bold 9900 and can't be more happy. The screen on the s2 looked amazing but found the touch has got worse over the 8 months I had it and I really missed have a real keyboard. Another weird thing mine would loose the predictive dictionary that sits below the message screen when typing a new or replying to a text. The only way to fix this was to turn off and pull the battery. I have also found the emails are received quicker on the Bold ( I use gmail and a pop3 account from my ISP). I also found the s2 to feel very cheap and plasticky but have not held an s3 so they might of improved the build quality. You might enjoy the much wider choice of apps on android but I have an ipad3 for apps and games, I wanted a phone to use daily and not get frustrated trying to unlock the screen to answer a call or miss type texts and emails. What ever you choose think about your prioritys of what you want out of your phone for daily use and enjoy it don't get buyers guilt after you take the plunge lol.
    I am sorry but I am calling out a BS on this. I have never heard about these issues on Galaxy S2.

Touch has got worse over 8 months? You have to unlock the screen before answering a call? lol..
    OniBerry, andy957, Yaceka and 5 others like this.
    06-29-12 05:59 PM
    I know the Galaxy S2 can be tethered to a laptop for sure. I'm 99% sure that the S3 can do the same.

Also congrats! I'm also looking at the S3, I'm due to upgrade from my 9700 real soon and I don't like any of the BB7 devices.

I don't own the S3 yet but I've been researching it a lot and I got a chance to test it out a little at a retailer. It's snappy and responsive. You should check out the review on Android Central if you haven't already.
    06-29-12 06:04 PM

Did you seriously have a hard time unlocking the screen
    06-29-12 06:05 PM
    I think Kevin's month with an Android phone is over in a couple of days and I am sure you will see his article about the pros and cons of Android vs BB in a few days. I know he's had some complaints along the way. Its going to be an interesting read for me as currently I am running both the 9810 and a GNote myself. You might wait and see what Kevin says about the strengths and weaknesses of Android are since I think he's done soon...

That said from my side I started with my 9810 as my daily driver and the GNote for the things like Skype my 9810 couldn't do. I now use the GNote as my daily driver and the 9810 for BBM only. Android takes some getting used to and there are some compromises (example no led on the GNote - there is on the GSIII. So I use a program called NO LED that fills in. Can't see it across the room however). Typing on a screen takes some getting used to it but I think I am and I too have come to love SwiftKey using their Beta and buying it 3 seconds after the final release was available. I have no problem writing long emails on the GNote. No unified inbox but I've gotten past it. My office uses Exchange for mail and I get mail on the GNote at least as fast as the BB, in principal its the same system that's on the PlayBook but I think the Exchange support on the GNote is better. If I could get BBM on the PlayBook I would drop the 9810 until I can check out BB10 with my renewal next year.

PS - doing away with the lock screen is a check box in SETTINGS away. Tethering - there is a great app called FOXFI I have used to tether my laptop and my PlayBook - works like a charm and like Blackberry Bridge - ATT doesn't know you are doing it.
    Last edited by randall2580; 06-29-12 at 06:11 PM.
    dynot, uncbutterfly and john_v like this.
    06-29-12 06:07 PM
    Sorry I ment unlock to make a call! Been a long day. Well for me the touch screen does not feel as responsive as it did although the screen is gorgeous and my issue with the words under the text window did happen on more then one occasion. I have nothing to gain or loose just putting out my feedback it is a forum after all. The S3 might well be a superb device but for me I wanted a real keyboard and apart from the screen the build on the s2 felt really cheap. My friend has switched from his black s2 to an iPhone 4s because he was no longer enjoying his phone but he was happy to stick with full touch screen.
    06-29-12 06:10 PM

SwiftKey is awesome, I dumped Swype for it.

Switched to Android 2 years ago, never considered coming back.
    06-29-12 06:12 PM
    Samsung is kinda slow about software updates but if you root it it won't matter.
    06-29-12 06:15 PM
    Sorry, one of my emps just bought the Samsung Galaxy S II from Bell. It runs very well, and he is very happy with it. Beautiful screen and easy navigation from his experience. This thread is about the SGSIII anyways, having used both, I can say that the III is a much improved model. I am thinking of grabbing the III until BB10 comes out.
    06-29-12 06:29 PM
    im taking the plunge as well. been researching the SIII alot and its impressive. dont like the no unified inbox idea though, so thats a con. will welcome the responsive browsing. another down side is tweaking the profiles how you want. i dont know if on android 4.0 its any different but other android os cant be tweaked. guess i will try and find an app for these cons. then theres the keyboard. no app can fix that im afraid. im just hoping the size of the phone makes it easy.
    06-29-12 07:10 PM
    Samsung are known for poor battery life. I have HTC one s and very happy with it. I've used iphone and several other androids. Samsung also lags at updates. If you take alot of pics the HTC one s has a phenomenal camera,probably none better right now. My buddy has galaxy 2 and cannot make it through the day without charging. I would be looking at nexus or Motorola as Google will support those well. The RAZR maxx has a wicked battery.
    06-29-12 07:21 PM
    isnt the nexus a samsung phone?
    06-29-12 07:27 PM
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus
    06-29-12 08:00 PM
    I'll just answer as opposed to taking the opportunity to be rude. Yes the latest are Samsung. Earlier models were HTC I believe.
    06-29-12 08:14 PM
    Seriously I was thinking to do the same thing. The G111 looks pretty good as far as speed and pictures, plus the siri like voice looks like it works really good. Not to mention the ability to watch videos while surfing the internet... Send a update on if you do and if you have any regrets!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-29-12 08:26 PM
406 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD