RIM in the past 2-3 years has been a technology company that people,the market and firms has no faith in anymore, i myself question it sometimes but i have hope. From lies to poor execution of products to delays, i'm going to by pass all this and speak of what can be done. No one has did so here is my ideas for RIM. Hopefully someone on the board at RIM will read this and maybe implement or think about it. Or Blaze or Kevin will see this and put it on the front page for someone to see it.

What RIM can do during the "pregnancy" period?
    -Seriously consider a partial stake in the company to be sold. Selling something is better than it depreciating in value.
    -All Enterprise clients must get an upgrade for Blackberry7 for $50-$60 or free.
    -Try to create a partnership with Samsung on a design of a phone load Blackberry 7 on that has decent specs for back to school
    - The current Blackberry 7 devices should be dropped so at-least current people can buy one that is cheaper than the Samsung galaxy S2
    -Try to increase your BIS subscription base from 78million to 80million.
    -Use your wifi version of the Playbook and Blackberry 6/7 phones to do combo deals for back to school for July/August
    -push out blackberry playbook v2.1 by august or something like v2.1.9 to keep current playbook owners wanting to use your device.
    -Allow users to trade in wifi 16gb version to subside an upgrade for the 4g version that has BBM
    -Treat the developers you gained in the past months with respect and i strongly suggest you allow them to bring the apps to blackberry playbook and give each at-least $1000. If you don't give them something all your Hackathons,Dev conference, will be a waste.
    -Have a university/college special where you are selling unlocked Blackberry smart phones on campus at discounted prices for university students. Currently those phone companies hate you since you're not pushing out any phone so they can't make any profits from you.
    -Consider licensing the Blackberry App store with Blackberry Apps to android and iOS so they can get your apps and your BBM.
    -Sell BBM or BBM2.0 idea you had to cross platform to keep your image. Sell it in the app store for $5-$10 and let them pay $5 extra for BIS service.
    -Use your current servers to be used by the Cellphone companies, bandwidth is expensive.
    -Consider taking the help from Android and design the QWERTY keyboard for them.

- The only thing that will keep RIM alive is if they screw the chipset and launch a totally awesome device and call it Blackberry 8 in the interim or with android.

OR
    - use your patents etc as leverage
    OR
    -you make a break in the Auto market with QNX launching in the cars.

PLEASE BRING NATIVE BBM , SKYPE TO THE PLAYBOOK. IT WILL MOST DEFINITELY MAKE YOUR NATION HAPPY AND WANTING TO STAY WITH YOU MORE.

RIM i hope you think and become successful for the future you have my support.
    06-29-12 02:20 PM
    Also take the help from Microsoft and Google that you pushed away it will be worth it.
    06-29-12 02:21 PM
    There's no time for a new device.

Best we could hope for is a crash revision in OS7 to try to add features, and I'm not even sure what THAT would accomplish.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-29-12 02:25 PM
    There's no time for a new device.

Best we could hope for is a crash revision in OS7 to try to add features, and I'm not even sure what THAT would accomplish.
    Right...there isn't time for a new device, but I like the back to school ideas. Targeting students isn't a bad idea. But don't you think that BB has been working on Skype and other apps? They gottttt iiittttttt
    06-29-12 02:32 PM
    Those are good ideas.

Here are a couple of more.

Strip out the phone portions of the alpha device, and sell it as a gaming toy for kids. Similar to the ipod touch. There is no R&D required as the basic device is already there. Load playbook 2.1 on it or something similar and launch it. This will help to drive some small sales but more importantly it will help get more apps in to consumers, and open up a different user base. A user base that might transition to a bb phone when they are older. The added user base will help to inspire more devs as well.

Why not do a refresh of the current bb7 phones? Put in a slightly faster cpu in the 9900 as an example. call it the 9910!
    06-29-12 03:04 PM
    Oh and for the love of God stop the commercials. Safe some cash because those commercials are not helping.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    06-29-12 03:05 PM
    Right...there isn't time for a new device, but I like the back to school ideas. Targeting students isn't a bad idea. But don't you think that BB has been working on Skype and other apps? They gottttt iiittttttt
    I think there's an outside chance that Skype will make it into BB10; I'm skeptical we'd see it any sooner than that.

Sure, back-to-school marketing would be a great idea. At this point it's hard to draw up a full-blown marketing plan from scratch. We can only hope the new CMO has been cooking something up.

The weakness at RIM is not even so much on the product side; the current OS7 devices are fine, if they're priced at a level people will buy them at. THAT might have to be looked at, the sooner the better.
    06-29-12 03:11 PM
    Release O/S 7.5 and market them in August. Add something refreshing, not sure what though.

This phone is fast enough until BB10 my thoughts anyway.
    06-29-12 03:33 PM
    I think there's an outside chance that Skype will make it into BB10; I'm skeptical we'd see it any sooner than that.

Sure, back-to-school marketing would be a great idea. At this point it's hard to draw up a full-blown marketing plan from scratch. We can only hope the new CMO has been cooking something up.

The weakness at RIM is not even so much on the product side; the current OS7 devices are fine, if they're priced at a level people will buy them at. THAT might have to be looked at, the sooner the better.

The current OS7 devices aren't fine though. They can't carry a company. Putting a side for a moment that they all have a 9 month lifespan, let's look at the facts.

When OS7 came out, the Bold 9900 was a solid flagship device, but even it was lagging behind the competition in many areas. The 9810 was solid. The rest of the lineup felt sort of middle range, like budget devices. And that was a year ago.

Today even the 9900 cannot be considered equal to the other flagships out. It's about equivalent to 2nd/3rd tier device from the competition (HTC One S or V for example) except it has the added drawback of being a year old and having negative rep. So if you're slashing the price, you need to beat not just the flagship prices, but even the budget prices. We're talking $0 on contract sort of prices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-29-12 03:38 PM
    I don't think I really expect the BB Bold 9900 to match, toe to toe, with even the Lumia 900, but it is the best keyboard phone in the market now and everytime I use it I never ever think of wanting any other device. No such thought. The HTC One X is the closest equivalent to my BB Bold 9900 in terms of usability and just the pure power of processing.

And I have the HTC One X as a backup.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-29-12 at 05:37 PM.
    06-29-12 05:35 PM
    ... So if you're slashing the price, you need to beat not just the flagship prices, but even the budget prices. We're talking $0 on contract sort of prices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    That's exactly what US Cellular is selling the 9850 for. $.01 for new contract.

It's the only top end BB they offer.
    06-29-12 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD