I am wondering how devs are taking this. I am a little disappointed because cascades is now even further out to being usable in apps. I actually started making my own UIkit. It won't be as impressive as RIM's but it's my little experiment.

I really do wonder how devs are taking it because I am afraid this may have hit people who thought cascades would be usable earlier.
    06-28-12 10:59 PM
    So are you building something on top of Qt?
    06-28-12 11:02 PM
    I am disappointed. But I think if they rush to release a inferior version like Playbook OS1, I would rather wait and see a great product instead.

Deadline is not as costly as bad press/frustrated users/unimpressed reviewers .
    kbz1960 and BB10FTW like this.
    06-28-12 11:12 PM
    Yeah, reading this news bummed the living crap out of me.
    It's possible that it was dev feedback that made RIM push the release date. If the APIs aren't ready / mature enough for developing, RIM is doing the right thing by making sure all developers have full access to the OS and features. We cannot have another "RIM releases an incomplete platform again" burn.

Do or die, as they say.
    06-29-12 01:29 AM
    It doesn't hurt me. I'm developing for playbook right now with the hope of it going to BB10 whenever it's released, but of course the sooner the better.
    06-29-12 01:34 AM
    well, i'm not happy with it. last week i was told (by rim), that bb10 will come fall this year ... so we designed our timeline to this date for porting our apps ....
    and now ... well ... we have more time to port ...
    06-29-12 02:58 AM
    not so much impact on me either (besides the emotional one, )
    its a matter of re-directing efforts. i'll probably look some more into BB7, keep doing PlayBook apps and keep an eye on BB10. But probably won't start porting anything before october.
    06-29-12 05:24 AM
    Yeah, reading this news bummed the living crap out of me.
    It's possible that it was dev feedback that made RIM push the release date. If the APIs aren't ready / mature enough for developing, RIM is doing the right thing by making sure all developers have full access to the OS and features. We cannot have another "RIM releases an incomplete platform again" burn.

Do or die, as they say.
    RIM does not understand that BOTH being EARLY to market AND high QUALITY are mandatory. They need to do whatever it takes to make that happen and they are not doing it. They clearly need help with product/software development.
    06-29-12 06:27 AM
    this just means that us playbook owners will just have to continue and wait while only a trickle of quality apps come in
    06-29-12 06:35 AM
    It was just last month that they said Halfbrick will bring their games like Jetpack Joyride to the PlayBook, but until now nothing is released.

Then this BB10 delayed till Q1 2013. I thought we will be able to use BB10 on Playbook later this year after BB10 released, but now it seems that I need to wait till Q1 2013, and wait RIM to release BB10 updates to the Playbook.

Long journey to go, I am still with RIM but I am deeply disappointed.
    06-29-12 07:57 AM
    I moved the thread to the BB10 OS sub forum.
    06-29-12 08:42 AM
    I'm peeved right now.

Sorry for the language, but I am truly disappointed at RIM. However, this leaves them a lot of time and I mean A LOT. When it is actually out, I expect BB10 to be perfecto above all !!!

This delay also better not hold-up any good apps from coming to the Playbook and BB10!
    I would like to see RIM work extra hard on bringing almost all the Apps that can be seen on other platforms, such as iOS and Android to Playbook and eventually make their way to BB10.
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-29-12 at 12:29 PM. Reason: language
    06-29-12 10:53 AM
    Seems to me people should realize it just a smartphone.... I was looking forward to BB10 like everyone but I guess for me I do not take issue with the delay... why.... because my current 9800 and Playbook are the perfect combo for me..... At this point BB10 needs to offer me something to move me off where I am or I will not buy one.....

So many people are trapped in the "bleeding edge" mentality...... Have to have the latest and greatest.... Why????

This is the remarkable part about BB users and how die hard they are.... One would have expected them to leave in droves for Samsung as they have made a spectacular smartphone.... But no the BB addicts just stick around and hope for better times....

As for all the banter about the OS.... as it is based on an existing OS QNX... it can hardly be called vaporware.... Unifinished... yes ... non-exesistant.... hardly.....

Time to get our big boy britches on and realize.... no we do not always get what we want....

those who expect RIM to meet deadlines must ask emselves why they keep beleving them... It is like a mistress beleiving their partner wil leave the marriage for them.... always disappointed... and in a nutshell this fits RIM to a tee.....

If you are so dissappointed or in disbelief that RIM can achieve BB10... ask yourself one question... Why am I still here????????

Purhaps users who feel betrayed or angry at RIM need to look at whether they made a wrong discission sticking with RIM... if they did purhaps it is time to move on...... Life is too short..... After all it is only a smartphone!!!!
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 06-29-12 at 11:23 AM.
    06-29-12 11:16 AM
    I think this is the worst possible outcome for RIM and any developers. It really couldnt have panned out any way worse.
    RIM can do with a fresher well-recieved product and anyone who has committed to BB10 can do with a new product to get people excited, increase the user base and hopefully drive up app sales.
    So yes it is bad, but like Heins said their hands are tied. They are building a platform and not just the next smartphone or tablet so there is certainly more to work out. Trouble is to the unbiased bystander it sounds like an excuse and the situation is already dire without having to sit back for 6 more months.
    06-29-12 12:29 PM
    Well this developer is a little disappointed with the delay so I'm going to quit. It makes no sense to waste my precious time reading all the doom-and-gloom news reports, so I will quit reading them. Instead I'll try to concentrate on using all the great development tools that RIM is releasing. A number of people are buying my current app and I can count on there being more than a few customers who will buy new BB devices if and when they materialize. If they never arrive due to RIM's unfortunate demise, c'est la vie. Life is good and there will be other opportunities. After all, as a previous poster wisely said "after all it is only a smartphone!!!!".
    06-29-12 12:34 PM
    The delay will give me more time to progress and begin creating apps so it's not a bad thing for me.
    BuzzStarField and peter9477 like this.
    06-29-12 01:06 PM
    Life is good and there will be other opportunities. After all, as a previous poster wisely said "after all it is only a smartphone!!!!".
    It's not "only a smartphone"... it's a whole platform. Good mantra to have for the next while. (but: sigh)
    06-29-12 04:08 PM
    It's not "only a smartphone"... it's a whole platform. Good mantra to have for the next while. (but: sigh)
    I stand corrected... it's only a whole platform. I recently got a 9900 on a 3 year contract... and OS7 is a "whole" platform that you might say is completely obsolete... but it's a darn good platform and has a working compass, Bluetooth, usb host, nfc and tons of other stuff. I suspect that many others are in the same boat as I am, holding an "obsolete" BB smartphone... and they need a good astronomy app (and all kinds of other apps.). I view this as an opportunity even for those developers who don't want to "regress" to Java in the way that I am contemplating.

People currently on OS 6 and 7 will be upgrading their smartphones (I mean their platforms) over the next 12 to 18 months... and if BB10 is ready (and there are apps for it) they will choose the whole new platform known as BB10. But they are not going to take the plunge unless their BB10 device is at least as capable as their current one. Half-baked is not an option - so we have to wait for a complete platform! Like I said, I'm disappointed for sure... but it's certainly not the end of the world as we know it.

For me the delay is an opportunity because I can devote some time to Java and also have time to spare for finishing my BB10 version. IMHO, developers who flee App World for greener pastures might be making a big mistake. And I'm not going to join them!
    crumbonthefloor and jafobabe like this.
    06-29-12 05:03 PM
    So are you building something on top of Qt?
    I am building on OpenGL and I am planning a simple system for signaling events. I do not like foreign code it makes me uncomfortable. I may use libpng for texture loading but lodepng looks soo much cleaner. Only reason I don't want to implement it with DevIL and greater functionality. I think devs can deal with having to make custom backgrounds for elements pngs and preferably in resolutions that are powers of 2?

Anywho I have a lot to figure out and maybe I can do some good. Or maybe I am in over my head. I'll post something on it with opinions from devs when I get something on the screen and some basic interaction. Don't hold your breath.

I wish I could use cascades but I have nothing to port. I'm just a bored kid I guess? The BB10 delay was more psychological to me than anything. Honestly my phone is still on contract so I have until midyear next year to pick a device. The only reason I want BB10 to be out sooner is because I want it on my playbook :P

EDIT: I also have to agree with Buzz that despite this being a delay it is up to devs to help RIM make in the transition. The part that makes it make sense for devs is that we can cash in on the transition like no one after us.
    06-29-12 07:37 PM
    Effect on developers? Bummed because I want to use BlackBerry 10 super phones.

Positive: More time to make more higher quality apps.
    06-30-12 12:07 AM
    I think my view is echoed throughout this thread. I am really disappointed, but have to redirect my attention.
    A team of us was planing on releasing a cross BB mobile app (OS 6, OS 7 and OS10). With the new Cascades, we focused our attention on getting a BB10 cascades ready. But now, with the delay, it seems we need to start to look at making up a PlayBook version too to fill the gap as well make a mock BB10 version.
    Development wise...the delay is a little set-back.
    On nearly every other hand...the delay is a disaster. Backing up RIM and BlackBerry in any argument these days is becoming an uphill battle, and although i will stay loyal, the current situation along with personal experiences with RIM is shaking the grounds of my loyalty.
    For the first time in a year i actually contemplated making our BlackBerry app on iOS and Android platforms
    06-30-12 12:15 AM
    I've got mixed feelings about it. From a profit standpoint, it means that the apps I started to develop using Cascades won't reach market for a year. There is no 2012 profit in developing BB10 apps right now. Apps developed using Cascades won't run on the current Playbook OS, so until they update the Playbook OS, BB10 apps right now are only usable on Dev Alpha devices. From a single-developer perspective, no profit means no way to support myself.

On the other side of things, it does mean I have more time to learn Cascades, C++, and Web app development. I was working on AIR apps as well, even though Adobe's tools are rather expensive. It almost makes more sense to forgo Cascades and just develop using the native SDK (straight C++).

For now, I'll just put BB10 development on the back burner, finish updates on my BB7 apps, and hope to see more BB10 updates in the near future.
    07-01-12 02:34 PM
    Hi,
    I just want to share my thoughts about BB development.

If you want to make a business on a mobile platform, the BB10 delay is not a big deal. BlackBerry current OS is a good OS where you can already make money. I've started BB apps development with the 4.2 api and now I can say the api 7 has been very improved since then. You already have all what you need.
    So instead of complaining about the BB10 delay, work hard on the Java api. You can do a lot of things with it. And don't forget the BBM SDK : what a great opportunity we have to build app on the BBM platform !
    The important thing is your idea(s), what you can give to the platform with your app, your creativity : and you can do it now. If you like BB smartphones, you can make it better right now. And when BB10 will be released (one day I hope), port your ideas, not your apps. Porting your app is not a solution, I would say, redesign it, rethink it with the new tools.

When they first speak about the BB10 platform (I think it was on September 2011), I realised my java apps won't run on the new platform and I said to me : stop all the support of your current apps and move to something which is supported on the new platform. But it's a mistake because even in 2012 july we still don't have the gold sdk to release great apps for BB10 : we have nothing close to the Java 7 api.

I'm still upgrading my java apps and my sales are better thanks to that. I've even released a new app a few months ago...
    I'm selling apps till May 2010 and today I'm happy with my sales. They are better than ever, and in any way they are going down !

Between making apps for a brand new platform (PlayBook - BB10) and the current BB OS, I've choosen the one I can make money right now.
    Of course you can make money on iOs or Android too, but if you feel involved in the BB community, build apps for BB OS because you have many BlackBerrys in the world and the ones being sold the next months will be running BB OS.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-02-12 06:17 AM
    I stand corrected... it's only a whole platform. I recently got a 9900 on a 3 year contract... and OS7 is a "whole" platform that you might say is completely obsolete... but it's a darn good platform and has a working compass, Bluetooth, usb host, nfc and tons of other stuff. I suspect that many others are in the same boat as I am, holding an "obsolete" BB smartphone... and they need a good astronomy app (and all kinds of other apps.). I view this as an opportunity even for those developers who don't want to "regress" to Java in the way that I am contemplating.

People currently on OS 6 and 7 will be upgrading their smartphones (I mean their platforms) over the next 12 to 18 months... and if BB10 is ready (and there are apps for it) they will choose the whole new platform known as BB10. But they are not going to take the plunge unless their BB10 device is at least as capable as their current one. Half-baked is not an option - so we have to wait for a complete platform! Like I said, I'm disappointed for sure... but it's certainly not the end of the world as we know it.

For me the delay is an opportunity because I can devote some time to Java and also have time to spare for finishing my BB10 version. IMHO, developers who flee App World for greener pastures might be making a big mistake. And I'm not going to join them!

Sir, you are a clever gentlemen! Wise words
    07-02-12 12:34 PM
    I would LOVE to see What's Up on my 9810 and 9900! Build it and I'm there...
    07-02-12 08:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD