Today's news about the delay of BB10 until calendar 2013 is horrible for RIM, and more generally for the whole BlackBerry community.

However, I have found one personal nugget of joy in this disaster. Late last October when my contract ended and I bought a new 9900, I immediately felt a sense of dread. Of course I wanted the latest and greatest BlackBerry smartphone available at the time. But I was certain I would be kicking myself in only six months or so when the amazing new devices were released, and I'd have to pay full price or else wait another 18 months to get one.

Now my satisfaction with my choice to purchase the 9900 when I did has been reaffirmed. Assuming RIM ends up getting the BB10 devices to market by the end of Q1 '13 (I know, that's giving them a lot of credit at this point), that will mean I only have six months or so to wait out my contract. That will be a perfect amount of time to be sure the bugs are worked out of the new platform - or to see if RIM is even a viable company anymore.

So instead of the buyer's remorse I had been expecting, I'm now feeling buyer's rejoice at picking up the top-of-the line device when I did.
    flash24 likes this.
    06-28-12 06:29 PM
    Much the same here. My 9810 contract is up in Spring 2013. The timing is perfect for me.
    xeju likes this.
    06-28-12 06:40 PM
    Lol! I have to admit i kinda feel the same way..love my 9900!
    xeju likes this.
    06-28-12 06:40 PM
    Same this has basically happened with my 9790. That's alright for me as I love my phone and my playbook but it sure is NOT good news for rim or millions of other loyal users.
    I really hope this isn't it for rim but I'm legitimately worried and disappointed now.

I'll continue to use and abuse my 9790 to the bitter end but in the mean time I'll hope bb10 is released and I won't have to look at other phone options.

Great way to look on the bright side though. its refreshing on a day like this
    MasterOfBinary and xeju like this.
    06-28-12 06:50 PM
    Same here Snoozer, love my 9900 but at least if RIM sees it through we will have a solid device to look forward to.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    xeju likes this.
    06-28-12 07:02 PM
    Same here, I upgraded to my 9810 a few months ago and a new BB10 device in October is a little bit too soon for me...I would've upgraded to BB10 but I also don't mind waiting a little bit longer
    xeju likes this.
    06-28-12 07:07 PM
    I guess - true - I can wait out my contract with my 9900. I can also keep my crackberry handle longer
    xeju likes this.
    06-28-12 08:38 PM
    Thanks for the positive responses! I'm glad some other folks can also find a silver lining to the crummy news.
    06-29-12 06:10 PM
    I was momentarily worried as I ordered my 9900 last month that I might regret it when BB10 comes out, but decided I would cross that bridge when I came to it. (no pun intended) I really love this phone and I'm glad I didn't wait.

One of the most frustrating parts is that I see people going the iPhone route that would be SOOO much happier with a BB. I just had to help a woman today and she couldn't even type her Exchange password on the phone when it prompted. She's had the phone for 3 months. She kept saying "See what it does..." And I'm like "i'm not sure what you are referring to..."

"Did you change your password recently?"
    "No"
    "Hmm, you didn't change it because it is asking for your new password?"
    "Oh yes, I did change it"
    "well, can you please type it in here"
    "Does it have to be in caps?"
    "Well, it's case-sensitive, so if you used caps, use them now"
    "I push this to get caps?"
    "Yes"
    "Where's the 2?"
    "You need to hit that button on the bottom with 123 on it"
    Keeps prompting for password... she tries 5 times.
    "See..."
    "Let me try, what is your password?
    Works first time...

I show her how to turn off/on cell data since she's traveling internationally.
    "Let me just turn that back on for you"
    "That's OK, I really only got it in case of emergency. You can leave the data off..."

There's a $1000 well spent...

Sorry, hope I didn't just summon the iTrolls...
    06-29-12 07:44 PM
    Yes I'm glad that I bought my 9900 last October too. I really like the phone and think RIM could have sold way more if they had better predicted the real BB10 availability proper BB7 marketing. That said I'm seriously disappointed with RIM. Thor just took his first step toward the Mike and Jim level in the credibility department.
    06-29-12 07:59 PM
    I love my 9900 and playbook. I'm good for another year.
    flash24 likes this.
    06-29-12 07:59 PM
    Yes I'm glad that I bought my 9900 last October too. I really like the phone and think RIM could have sold way more if they had better predicted the real BB10 availability proper BB7 marketing. That said I'm seriously disappointed with RIM. Thor just took his first step toward the Mike and Jim level in the credibility department.
    It is true that RIM Osbourned the 9900 with the PB launch and BB 10 announcements.
    06-29-12 08:55 PM
    With all thats been going on I really hadn't thought about it that way before. I only got my Torch in February. It is kind of nice that it won't be completely obsolete less than a year after purchase.

Definitely happier that I got it now.
    06-29-12 09:00 PM
    bb10's delay doesn't bother me either for the same reason: it's now going to be released around when my contract expires.

honestly i'm more excited about PlayBook 2 than bb10 anyway.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    06-29-12 09:29 PM
    I've had my 9930 since it was released and I am still in love with it.
    06-30-12 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD