RIM announces their Q1 Earnings tomorrow and although i know were bound to see a ton more negative media articles does anyone know what else we might see? BB10 release date? Hardware progress? Findings from the strategic review?
    06-27-12 05:49 PM
    All you're going to see is ugly results and more BB10 teasing without any solid dates.
    Shlooky, mzceetee and kingest_kong like this.
    06-27-12 06:26 PM
    I highly doubt we will see anything about BB10. Perhaps some news on the progress of BB10. My guess would be some news on partnerships.
    06-27-12 06:42 PM
    We just got a bridge update. They will be announcing that BB10 is being released to the PB and the phone is available for purchase.

Wait, that was a dream. Never mind.
    06-27-12 06:46 PM
    It would be interesting to know how many playbooks RIM sold, it's cash earnings and latest global subscribers. I hope that it is positive has increased from the last quarter.
    06-27-12 06:48 PM
    Reading something this morning that said analysts expect rimm to give a progress report on BB10.....Sooooooo not holding my breath with that one but some news is better than no news i suppose
    06-27-12 07:32 PM
    I'll go out on a limb and say they sold 9 million phones, took a $200 million dollar write down on inventory and grew subs to 78 million ....... and, finally, they grew Enterprise Services by 5%!

All of these numbers including a $ .03/shr EPS will move the stock higher. Governments around the world approved BBs for purchase and they are selling out in China and opening stores everywhere else. I see the report as a positive and the general market will too.

Remember, they are pricing Management Stock Options too, so there won't be that much good news until the AGM in July 10 2012. GL
    06-27-12 07:45 PM
    I'm predicting an extremely ugly day with a larger than expected loss with no news at all about bb10. Take their last earnings report and make it worse.
    06-27-12 07:55 PM
    No release dates, just a little more carnage.
    06-27-12 08:05 PM
    Right after Google unveiled their new tablet and latest dessert (JellyBean), RIM will probably share very negative news. it just makes RIM look that much worse. It is taking too long, I'm afraid RIM can't bring anything exciting with BB10 that iOS 6 or Windows 8 or JellyBean can't offer.

I read a lot of people just wishing RIM would take the time to come out with a strong OS but they are taking WAY too long. JellyBean has a neat predictive keyboard (probably took the idea from BB10), not sure RIM will wow anyone by the time BB10 is out (if it even see the daylight).

I can't see RIM path forward with their hardware division. I think they will be reduced to a software only company and probably not even a full OS but only a messaging management service.
    06-27-12 08:42 PM
    No new handsets release in almost a year now, but a lot of government upgrades this quarter, 8 million handsets "shipped", 350k playbooks "shipped" revenues of 3.5 billion, loss of 180 million, more layoffs, BB10 firm guidance, no guidance on next qrts sales, subscriber base up 1.5 million.
    You heard it hear first...
    06-27-12 09:12 PM
    They did release some os 7 devices within the last year...in fact all of them!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-27-12 09:22 PM
    What I really care about is cash. It's the blood that they need to keep going until the release of the BB 10 devices. It would be good if they can either grow or keep their user base. I really don't care about Playbook sales. The device is a year old and in no way is it going to change things for them.
    06-27-12 09:38 PM
    What I really care about is cash. It's the blood that they need to keep going until the release of the BB 10 devices. It would be good if they can either grow or keep their user base. I really don't care about Playbook sales. The device is a year old and in no way is it going to change things for them.
    I care.. PB sales would be a good indicator if significantly positive that consumers are interested in the value and the experience from the playbook. Last qtr it was positive cause it basically doubled the total sales - this was a good indicator due to the price point and implementing OS2.0. If the PB sales has increased even more than last quarter this could show a real good positive sign for BB10 since it will be the playbook experience plus more on a BB phone.
    06-28-12 01:48 AM
    I care.. PB sales would be a good indicator if significantly positive that consumers are interested in the value and the experience from the playbook. Last qtr it was positive cause it basically doubled the total sales - this was a good indicator due to the price point and implementing OS2.0. If the PB sales has increased even more than last quarter this could show a real good positive sign for BB10 since it will be the playbook experience plus more on a BB phone.
    You can't compare tablets with phones. There is a different perception between phones and tablets. Apple dominates the tablet market, but not the smartphone market. Plus, if you are to make those assumption, compare the sales of the Moto Razr HD to the Motorola Xoom.
    anon(4086706) likes this.
    06-28-12 02:46 AM
    You can't compare tablets with phones. There is a different perception between phones and tablets. Apple dominates the tablet market, but not the smartphone market. Plus, if you are to make those assumption, compare the sales of the Moto Razr HD to the Motorola Xoom.
    What? Apple is #2 in the smartphone market close to Samsung and nobody else is close. The reason that Apple does so well is that their phone and tablet technologies are extremely similar. If you buy an ipad most likely you'll buy an iphone or visa versa. Same with BB10 and PB. They both share the similar operating systems and after release of BB10, the playbook upgrade will have them behaving and looking more similar to each other. It's one of the reasons why myself and others are holding out for BB10 because we enjoy the playbook so much. So I beg to differ with you, I still believe that PB sales may be a good indicator of what we can expect with BB10. Remember, I said indicator.. If there are more PB's sold last quarter that means more people are choosing this type of technology, the same type of technology used on BB10 and this would be a result of no marketing effort on RIM's part ... IMHO
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-28-12 06:46 AM
    What? Apple is #2 in the smartphone market close to Samsung and nobody else is close. The reason that Apple does so well is that their phone and tablet technologies are extremely similar. If you buy an ipad most likely you'll buy an iphone or visa versa. Same with BB10 and PB. They both share the similar operating systems and after release of BB10, the playbook upgrade will have them behaving and looking more similar to each other. It's one of the reasons why myself and others are holding out for BB10 because we enjoy the playbook so much. So I beg to differ with you, I still believe that PB sales may be a good indicator of what we can expect with BB10. Remember, I said indicator.. If there are more PB's sold last quarter that means more people are choosing this type of technology, the same type of technology used on BB10 and this would be a result of no marketing effort on RIM's part ... IMHO

"f" Apple!

Why does every post/thread dilute down to Apple.

Go get a room!

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    06-28-12 07:00 AM
    It is not going to be pretty and the only thing you will here about BB10 is that it is on track for the latter half of 2012.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    06-28-12 07:37 AM
    This is going to be a very bad day for RIM. Stock is trading just over $9 a share as of close yesterday, and I think we can expect a 20% loss for the day or so. They are going to announce more inventory write-downs, they are going to provide more guidance on layoffs, and they are going to reveal little if anything related to BB10. This is the last huge piece of bad news they have to weather before BB10, so lets hope they take it, and then announce strategic partnerships AFTER, in the coming days/weeks, to give some buzz related to BB10.
    manofice1 likes this.
    06-28-12 07:58 AM
    The playbook sales have very little to do with BB10 and it's future.

People are buying playbooks because they're discounted and cheap enough for people to own a tablet to do a few things (surf, watch movies, etc). I know plenty of people who've purchased one just because of it's price and they know nothing about BB10 and future RIM phones (and in some instances don't care, as they have iPhone/Android devices).

The Playbook is dead. RIM is simply getting rid of them and were/are wisely using PB owners as beta testers for QNX as a stepping stone to BB10.
    kingest_kong likes this.
    06-28-12 08:12 AM
    what time and where can we listen to the call?

edit: I found it, http://www.rim.com/investors/events/index.shtml
    06-28-12 08:17 AM
    The playbook sales have very little to do with BB10 and it's future.

People are buying playbooks because they're discounted and cheap enough for people to own a tablet to do a few things (surf, watch movies, etc). I know plenty of people who've purchased one just because of it's price and they know nothing about BB10 and future RIM phones (and in some instances don't care, as they have iPhone/Android devices).

The Playbook is dead. RIM is simply getting rid of them and were/are wisely using PB owners as beta testers for QNX as a stepping stone to BB10.
    The Playbook is far from dead, with a new model launching around the BB10 timeframe, and all of those PB users who bought it because it was cheap will not receive a BB10 update, and if they like how it works, its free hands on with the phone OS (more or less). If they like the PB with BB10, they will like a phone with BB10, and *might* buy it.
    06-28-12 08:24 AM
    I expect to see the usual bad news, right downs, layoff information, along with the requisite promise that something good will happen sometime in the future. Then I expect to see the stock prices fall further; along with the same negative stories in the media being regurgitated yet again.

This will then be followed by the usual suspects on Crackberry, including some of the staff, "reporting" and commenting that the earnings report was the best thing to have come out from RIM in a long time; that RIM will bounce back, that BB10 is going to blow the iPad out of the market ; and that any of the bad news stories and stock price drop is in actuality a conspiracy on the part of the media to destroy RIM.

This will then be followed by arguments on these forums along with the requisite duplicate threads. In short, it will be just another usual day in the world of BlackBerry.
    Rob1 and notfanboy like this.
    06-28-12 08:31 AM
    I think you mean WILL receive a BB10 update :-)

What new Playbook model are you referring to, the 4G one from the leaked roadmap?

The Playbook is far from dead, with a new model launching around the BB10 timeframe, and all of those PB users who bought it because it was cheap will not receive a BB10 update, and if they like how it works, its free hands on with the phone OS (more or less). If they like the PB with BB10, they will like a phone with BB10, and *might* buy it.
    06-28-12 09:07 AM
    Yes you are correct on both accounts. I have not heard definitively if the 10" tablet will appear or not, the prototypes are out there and carriers are evaluating. The 4G 7" tablet with NFC and dual 1.5GHZ processors is the one I am talking about.
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    06-28-12 09:10 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD