I normally don't bother with such stories but this was kind of fun. Today a few of us had to attend a webinar for work - it was a recorded webinar so people were checking it out when they had time.

I logged in on my Mac and started watching the webinar - turns out it was longer than I thought it would be. Then I noticed a message at the top of the screen that said - "This webinar is not available for iPads or iPhones. Please use a compatible device such as a desktop or laptop computer". So I thought - hmmmmm.

Fired up the URL on my Playbook and it worked like a charm (of course it uses Flash hence the issue with the iOS systems). So I started walking around with the webinar doing a few other things during the less pertinent parts. One of my colleagues says - "Hey - they said it does not work on iPads"....to which I said - "You are correct it doesn't".
    06-26-12 04:56 PM
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I would have just shown the BlackBerry logo at the back B-)
    06-26-12 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the story OP. That exactly the reason why many of us bought a PlayBook
    bungaboy and kbz1960 like this.
    06-26-12 05:24 PM
    Thanks Shintocam! Great story and well told! I needed the lift today!
    Shintocam likes this.
    06-26-12 07:03 PM
    I'm not a basher of anything , but I like this story.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    06-26-12 07:07 PM
    Great story. And great comment to your co-worker.
    06-26-12 07:18 PM
    I love it when a playbook steps up and gets the job done.
    06-26-12 07:21 PM
    Oh wow. That's pretty crazy. I actually like the way the way the Playbook functions.

I find it to be a very corporate yet entertaining device. It makes it very multi- functioning. I've never been an Apple person though. I do, one the other hand, like Android too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    06-26-12 07:32 PM
    So good to hear positive things being posted. Flash is definitely a feature we don't have to compromise.
    06-26-12 07:40 PM
    Wow ten straight posts and not one troll, this has to be a record!

I find it satisfying that the one place where RIM devices always outshine the rest is in fact the workplace.
    Shintocam, polytope, hpjrt and 2 others like this.
    06-26-12 08:16 PM
    I normally don't bother with such stories but this was kind of fun. Today a few of us had to attend a webinar for work - it was a recorded webinar so people were checking it out when they had time.

I logged in on my Mac and started watching the webinar - turns out it was longer than I thought it would be. Then I noticed a message at the top of the screen that said - "This webinar is not available for iPads or iPhones. Please use a compatible device such as a desktop or laptop computer". So I thought - hmmmmm.

Fired up the URL on my Playbook and it worked like a charm (of course it uses Flash hence the issue with the iOS systems). So I started walking around with the webinar doing a few other things during the less pertinent parts. One of my colleagues says - "Hey - they said it does not work on iPads"....to which I said - "You are correct it doesn't".
    Absolutely fantastic way to end a story. LOL. "You are correct it doesn't."
    Fantastic.
    Shintocam likes this.
    06-26-12 08:24 PM
    You know it's funny but that's just it - I can actually do work on my Playbook. I still use it for fun too - books, movies, games - but ultimately it's about getting work done for me. Yeah I don't have Netflix and Skype (yet) but when I need to do work - and that work requires something as commonplace as Flash - I can.
    06-26-12 08:33 PM
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I would have just shown the BlackBerry logo at the back B-)
    Indeed, in fact that's why I like the case I bought for my playbook. It's a great case, nice and rigid, ability to prop up the display AND it has a great big hole in the back that exposes the logo
    06-26-12 08:34 PM
    The Playbook browser is pretty awesome but, the BB10 browser is the best on any mobile device guaranteed!
    06-26-12 08:56 PM
    Now that I have the mini bluetooth keyboard, I almost don't use my laptop or desktop anymore. Previously is was difficult to select text and do a cut and paste opperation in a pecise manner, which I have to do for custommers content and mass mailings often. Now is so easy.
    Last edited by jhirizarry; 06-26-12 at 09:00 PM.
    06-26-12 08:58 PM
    Nice story OP! I needed a lift and this did the trick...

Thanks!!
    06-26-12 09:06 PM
    Now that I have the mini bluetooth keyboard, I almost don't use my laptop or desktop anymore. Previously is was difficult to select text and do a cut and paste opperation in a pecise manner, which I have to do for custommers content and mass mailings often. Now is so easy.
    I'm assuming you have the BB mni keyboard? Great isn't it? It makes everything so much easier & now I have the best of both worlds. I can surf with just the PB but quick as a bunny I can activate the keyboard and respond to emails or forum posts!
    06-26-12 09:36 PM
    I'm assuming you have the BB mni keyboard? Great isn't it? It makes everything so much easier & now I have the best of both worlds. I can surf with just the PB but quick as a bunny I can activate the keyboard and respond to emails or forum posts!
    As a owner of both a blackberry bold/ BB Playbook and an iPhone4/ iPad2 i have to say I have likes and dislikes with the lot. I love how the Playbook works with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard and MS Bluetooth mouse. The iPad does not support a mouse so you have to keep reaching up to touch the screen.

I dislike the playbooks touch keyboard and its so so predictive text. Apples touch keyboard and spell check work more seamlessly.

As far as GPS goes the iPhone and Bold are comparable but the wifi only (no built in GPS hardware) iPad blows the Playbook (with GPS hardware) away when it comes to locating my current position. If I take my playbook out into the open on a cloudless day I might (stressing might) be able to get a GPS fix, but forget about trying to use it as a GPS Navigation tool

The BB toys are for work and the iToys are more for play.

NedF
    06-27-12 12:13 AM
    As far as GPS goes the iPhone and Bold are comparable but the wifi only (no built in GPS hardware) iPad blows the Playbook (with GPS hardware) away when it comes to locating my current position. If I take my playbook out into the open on a cloudless day I might (stressing might) be able to get a GPS fix, but forget about trying to use it as a GPS Navigation tool
    It's funny, but I've had nothing but luck with GPS on my PB. Using Google Maps 6.2, the PB finds my location within 30-60 seconds of pressing the little compass button in the upper right corner. And assuming I've pre-cached the surrounding area, it follows me accurately as I walk, drive, bike, etc., including direction of travel/orientation. Even the turn-by-turn works, provided I stay on the designated route - I don't have a 3/4G connection, so...

Perhaps they improved things since you last tested it? I'm running the 2.1 beta on a remote island in the middle of nowhere and the PB's GPS rocks for me.

RCK
    06-27-12 02:55 AM
    I love it when a playbook steps up and gets the job done.
    Yeah, I love it too. On the rare occasions that it does
    06-27-12 03:30 AM
    Thats why i bought it ! Flash (and for gaming )
    06-27-12 04:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD