We know that BB10 will be based on the QNX platform that we see in the PB OS currently. Furthermore, whenever there is talk about the new OS it's always mentioned how the PB can do multitasking, navigation through intuitive gestures and the fact that it has support for flash. Admittedly, this is a major plus point for us PB users especially when comparing it to the iDevices from Apple.

So a major thought has been bugging me (and forgive me if it has already been covered) - with a smaller handset (and by extension, battery) on the BB10 handsets compared to the PB, do you think RIM will include flash support on the handsets?

Why or why not?

Please avoid any comparisons to other platforms (no flame wars or troll-hunting, etc), I just want to hear your thoughts on RIM/BB10 only and why you would want flash or not as well as some key insights on its feasibility from the more technologically savvy forum members
    06-25-12 01:20 AM
    I think they will.

It still is important to support Flash. I come across it a couple of times a week when surfing with my iPhone or iPad. It shows up most often in video's but also websites that are flash based.

Even though Adobe no longer develops Flash for mobile devices, there is nothing stopping anyone else to do so for their devices.

They may decide not to include Flash as they are really pushing how they are getting the highest scores for HTML5 compliance. They also may rather put their resources to HTML5 over Flash.
    06-25-12 03:15 AM
    Flash is in the Dev Alpha, and there's no reason to think it won't be in BB10. RIM has said it will be there for quite awhile.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    06-25-12 07:46 AM
    BlackBerry tooling is mostly backwards-compatible. Flash will work on BB10.
    06-30-12 02:40 PM
    I would like to remain optimistic and agree with you. However, the recent setbacks that is responsible for causing the delay in the releasing of BB10, one never knows. For all we know, maybe since there are hangups and setbacks from probable software issues, some of the features that were supposed to be on the BB 10 might be removed and we might be getting a watered down version of what this o/s was originally supposed to be. Maybe RIM held off on telling anyone exactly what to expect on this phone, in the event of problems, they can simply remove things, or not put things on BB10 and they figure since they were never officially announced, we won't miss them as we don't know what they are. These are my thoughts! If that is the case, it will be a smart on their part.
    06-30-12 04:04 PM
    Flash may been important for the last few years, but it is increasingly not relevant. Even Adobe won't be making flash available for mobile.
    06-30-12 04:07 PM
    Flash may been important for the last few years, but it is increasingly not relevant. Even Adobe won't be making flash available for mobile.
    There is still no way i would live without it at the moment. The Playbook made me realize how handy it is to really have, anytime.
    06-30-12 04:58 PM
    As Flash becomes less relevant, Adobe AIR will pretty much take its place. Most of the Flash apps that are being built for the Playbook are AIR apps already.

Adobe has already said they are no longer supporting Flash on future mobile OS versions (although I don't know what that means for the future of Flash on QNX), but that they would be concentrating on AIR instead.
    07-01-12 02:23 PM
    While Adobe is no longer developing Flash for mobile platforms, RIM has committed to continue its support, even if it means writing its own enhancements.

I don't think this means we'll see Flash supported forever and ever on RIM devices, but I think it will still make the BB10 launch. At this point, with Android dropping Flash support altogether, it's one of RIM's few differentiators.
    07-01-12 02:43 PM
    While Adobe is no longer developing Flash for mobile platforms, RIM has committed to continue its support, even if it means writing its own enhancements.

I don't think this means we'll see Flash supported forever and ever on RIM devices, but I think it will still make the BB10 launch. At this point, with Android dropping Flash support altogether, it's one of RIM's few differentiators.
    Android didn't "drop" flash support. As stated above, adobe, the company reponsible for implementing flash player on devices, has put an end to developing flash player for mobile devices. I really don't think bb10 devices will have flash even though the PlayBook and the dev alpha have it. Going back to android, ice cream sandwich (4.0) was the last OS to support flash player. Android 4.1 jellybean, which is basiclaly 4.0 with some enhancements, doesn't even have flash support. Why would a blackberry device?
    07-10-12 03:07 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbuck

Android didn't "drop" flash support. As stated above, adobe, the company reponsible for implementing flash player on devices, has put an end to developing flash player for mobile devices. I really don't think bb10 devices will have flash even though the PlayBook and the dev alpha have it. Going back to android, ice cream sandwich (4.0) was the last OS to support flash player. Android 4.1 jellybean, which is basiclaly 4.0 with some enhancements, doesn't even have flash support. Why would a blackberry device?
    Exactly what I was thinking. At this point it's not a matter of whether a company wants to use flash in their OS, but of whether adobe will bother developing flash for the OS.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    07-31-12 02:52 PM
    I think flash is what gives us an advantage over Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire. I just purchased my playbook and am was pretty surprised of how well it handles flash, granted though, I only use it for videos.

I am embracing BB10 in hopes that it attracts more development, however I hope it is not at the expense of flash.

I was wanting to start this exact topic, however found it in search, is there any resent announcement or indication,besides adobe`s drop in support of android, that it will or will not be support?
    09-12-12 06:44 PM
    sirkingchase, the most recent indication came today, when RIM officially extended the "$10K Developer Commitment" offer to include AIR apps. While the presence of AIR apps on the platform is not a direct indication that Flash will continue to be present in the browser, I'd call it unreasonable to think that they won't keep it there as long as there's a reason for people to use Flash.

After all, the main arguments that they would remove Flash from the platform seem to come from those saying "Adobe is dropping support for it" and such, but it's clear that RIM intends to keep it alive on the platform for a good long time (for the AIR apps), so obviously they feel capable of continuing to support it themselves even without Adobe. (Also, I kind of think they do have Adobe support on this, when it comes to that.)

Relevant post: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/0...and-adobe-air/
    09-12-12 07:32 PM
    Is there still Flash in the recent Dev Alpha software update?
    09-28-12 10:47 AM
    Is there still Flash in the recent Dev Alpha software update?
    Yes, it is in the BB10 dev alpha --- disabled by default, so end user has to enable it manually on their dev alpha.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-28-12 01:56 PM
    Not only is it in the Dev Alpha update to 10.0.9, but at Jam Americas we heard numerous things which make it absolutely conclusive that Flash is in there for the foreseeable future.
    09-28-12 10:20 PM
    I am happy to hear that flash support will continue. Notwithstanding adobe discontinuing flash support, it will still take quite a few years before all the flash videos disappear from the Internet.
    09-29-12 12:25 AM
    i just got a z10 and when every i try to watch a video with flash it says my "you need to have adobe flash player to view this content", any advice? thanks before hand.
    02-11-13 06:33 AM
    sorry my bad, it seems it comes turned off as a default in the device and you need to go into the settings menu to turn it on.
    02-11-13 06:42 AM
    Settings, Display actions...
    Attached Thumbnails Will BB10 have Flash?-img_00000017.jpg  
    02-11-13 08:55 AM
    I keep it off as default because most videos will now run under HTML5. Flash is just there for ads
    02-11-13 08:59 AM
    I think flash is what gives us an advantage over Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire. I just purchased my playbook and am was pretty surprised of how well it handles flash, granted though, I only use it for videos.
    Flash Player works in Nexus 7. The APK file is on Archive Adobe website.
    02-28-13 01:29 PM
    Browser settings > Adobe Flash > change to on.

Posted via CB10
    vexon13 likes this.
    02-28-13 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD