I am new owner of BB 9900( never own a cell phone before) and Ipod touch 4th G. I just want to know from those who own both how do the two compare as a music device. Please no trolling about who is out selling who or any non relevant opinions. I just need to get a good technical perspective from those who experienced both devices. Also I owned a pair of Etymotic Research HF2 head phones. Is it decent enough for listening to music for the 9900 as well.
    Thank you in advance.
    06-24-12 01:09 PM
    I prefer the iPod over the BB for music player.

After all, that's what the iPod was built for.

It's easier to put music on the BB tho, but I still prefer my iPhone 4S as my music player over my BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    06-24-12 01:30 PM
    i switched over to using my 9900 as my everything device, saves the hassle of carrying around two chargers, cables etc
    it works well enough for me, i use it jogging, at work, travel, even in the car, receives notifications without a problem

i just would have preferred more than 32gb
    LuisCast and bambinoitaliano like this.
    06-24-12 02:23 PM
    I use BB 9900 as my phone as well as my MP3 player because this way I only have to carry one item, not several units. But the touch screen is great on iPod than on BB 9900.
    06-24-12 02:30 PM
    I used to carry the iPod/Berry combo also. I just got tired of carrying two devices around. The iPod is a great musical device but using the BB works for me.
    06-24-12 02:34 PM
    Use your own ears. Sounds good to you?
    LuisCast likes this.
    06-24-12 02:35 PM
    Yeah, like tr1ad said I wish i have bigger storage than 32G. I know one can't listen to the entire collection in one time, I like to be able to choose from my library. I'm still carrying both devices at this time.
    06-24-12 04:02 PM
    I know there's some savvy gadgets users in this forum. I just want to have some aha moments. Things that i never would not have known.
    06-24-12 04:07 PM
    I see no need to carry my iPod around with me anymore.
    my BB has all my tunes and its pretty simple to add songs to it
    and sounds the same.
    LuisCast and bambinoitaliano like this.
    06-24-12 04:09 PM
    I've never used an ipod but I'd guess it is the Apple.
    06-24-12 04:21 PM
    I use my 9900. I also used to carry an ipod as well but dont see any benefit to it.

I use blackberry music store direct on the device and it syncs up my PB and PC as well.

The clincher for me has been bbm music. Cant get it on the idevices and it is pretty awesome. If you want to try it shoot me your pin, I'll add you and you can take it for a swing. I use it more than daily.

I would recommend the new bb music gateway, pretty good value at $50 and lets you use your NFC.
    Last edited by dusdal; 06-24-12 at 04:51 PM.
    06-24-12 04:47 PM
    double post
    06-24-12 04:48 PM
    I use my ipod touch 4G and ipad 3 as my music device. I have a few songs on my Bold, but use it mainly as my phone for messaging, browsing and the such; not as a media and gaming device.
    06-24-12 04:57 PM
    I like my 9900 better for music playing mainly because of the volume keys.

If I want to mute a song I hit the middle button. If I want to go forward or back a track I hold the volume up or down key.

For me I keep my phone in my pocket so this is much easier than unlocking the ipod and changing tracks.

Also if you run its awesome to use the shortcuts also.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 08:42 PM
    The sound quality of your iPod will actually be very good. It uses the same DAC as the classic that I have and with a portable amp and using a good set of headphones it's excellent.

I find the quality of my classic/amp combo far superior to that of my bold 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-25-12 01:55 AM
    I used to use my bold at work but my battery would die after 6 hrs of use so I deleted everything off phone and use ipod again for music. Apple headphones give you in line control to pause and double tap for skipping songs. In my opinion ipod is better
    06-25-12 02:26 AM
    Personally, I like having a separate device for music. I have some music on my phone, but not a lot.

I love being able to carry around 32gb of music without worrying about my phone's battery dying. I would rather have my mp3 player die before my phone.
    06-25-12 09:47 AM
    BlackBerry headphones give you in line control as well.

Or, as mentioned earlier, you can use the volume buttons for skipping/pausing/volume without taking it out of your pocket.
    06-25-12 06:33 PM
    I own a Bold 9900 with roughly 1300+ songs on it with a 16gig SD card in it. I have an iPod Touch mostly for mobile games, but I use it for an MP3 player too. I also have an iPod Shuffle for when I go running its great just to clip on my shorts or sweats and you don't even feel it or know its there.

The Bold 9900 syncs all my music easily but not necessarily all the album art on the screen, but mostly does. I have to say my two iPods can actually get louder on the higher volumes than my max volume on the Bold 9900.

The iPods can shatter an eardrum if you turn it up all the way. I admit, I turn the volume up really loud when I am on a noisy treadmill, but I tend to only use the iPod Shuffle when I am exercising. I use my iPod Touch more for games and apps, but hardly use it, bought it with gift cards I got as presents for Best Buy or I would have never bothered.

I guess if you want your iOS fix to see what the fuss is about, the iPod Touch is a pretty good representation and a good MP3 player. The Bold 9900 is also a good MP3 player but doesn't get quite as loud at the highest volume, yet I have to say it doesn't really drain my battery anywhere near as much as I thought it would.

My preference for MP3 player is the iPod Shuffle just for using it while exercising and not worrying as much about breaking it, dropping it, sweating in it etc., since it is a bit cheaper to replace...
    06-25-12 07:04 PM
    I know there's some savvy gadgets users in this forum. I just want to have some aha moments. Things that i never would not have known.
    "aha" moment 1: finding out just how decent Slacker is.

"aha" moment 2: realizing that BBM Music is actually useful (I like to throw songs on it when I'm not sure if I want to buy them or not)

"aha" moment 3: realizing I can have up to 32 GB of storage for less than $30 (the price of a decent microSD card on eBay).

Otherwise, a decent little device with a media player that isn't particularly difficult to use compared to an iPod.
    06-25-12 07:19 PM
    I don't use an iPod Touch, but I do have a music player separate from my BB 9900. I have to say that the BB is an okay music player, but it doesn't really compete well in terms of music quality (then again, not many can beat Cowon's music players in sound quality). Not only that, but there is this slight hissing sound in the background when I plug my headphones into the BB, which is kind of annoying.
    06-25-12 07:32 PM
    I never hear hissing from my BB used as a MP3 player with headphones. The only difference is the BB does not necessarily show album art for everything, but most songs and its loudest volume is nowhere near as loud as the iPod.
    06-25-12 07:35 PM
    OK I have taken a long route here

I have a bold 9930 with 32g card, and another 6g internal phone.

I took all the tunes I have (at 256K) and made new copies at 128K and have fit over 7000 songs on my BB 32g card.

My hearing is shot so, as far as the sound and since mp3 are at all different levels and such, so I cant talk sound qualty

WOW the IPOd was such as awesome device (and I guess still is but it just seems like such an old item, lol)

The BB music player isnt too shabby (if you have touch screen) I wish I had all the artwork but flipping thru albums genres and such,its a solid media player, but I also like the playbook music player

NO APPLE STUFF TOUCHES MY BB's lol, I dont use blackbery desktop manager for anything, that too looks old. So I dont use ITUNES to sync playlists, I just grab all the songs I want, reduce the bit rate and copy them into the music folder directly

OFF TOPIC, Im not an audiophile but If I have mp3s at 256k and they never lose quality, am I losing quality if I reduce the higher bit rate and make a lower bit rate copy, and same the other way, if I take my mp3 and redo it a higher quality, it wont make any sound difference (some new treble or bass wont suddenly appear more apparent will it)
    06-25-12 07:37 PM
    I prefer to keep my music separate and on it's own dedicated device.

I use my 4th gen iPod touch for music, the Nike+ running app, and generally like a mini tablet to run various iOS apps and games.

My 9900 is strictly for phone calls, email, messaging, social networking, and the odd news or productivity app.
    06-25-12 07:55 PM
    If u want to carry one device at a time, carry the BB 9900.
    It is the best communication device and also a decent music player.

But if u have to carry 2 devices,then use ur ipod for music.
    06-26-12 01:31 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD