I have the Blackberry Curve 9360 from Virgin Mobile Canada. I want to update the OS from 7.0 to version 7.1 .

I went to the Blackberry site to download the official Virgin Mobile Canada version of the OS 7.1 :

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

I entered my name and other mandatory information, then downloaded the official Virgin Canada OS 7.1 with the file name :

9360AllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel722_PL9.6.0.26_A7.1.0.219_ Virgin_Mobile_Canada.exe

I installed it. No problem.

Then I started the Blackberry Desktop Software, went to Device --> Update .

I selected the recommended "7.1 Bundle 722".

It came back with this error message all the time :

"This BlackBerry� Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry� solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry� service, please visit www.blackberry.com/service."

It's frustrating. Did I miss a step? How do I know I have an active subscription to Blackberry? Is there any setup or registration I have to do on the phone itself?

HOW DO I UPDATE THE CURVE 9360 OS TO 7.1 ???!! Help please.
    06-21-12 10:00 AM
    Here's my updated OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

ELITE1's OS UPGRADE GUIDE

1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, browser is irrelevant.)
      *If 100% certain you've previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps with option to save settings to media card. Conduct Backup to media card within each of these apps. (Examples: Bellshare apps like BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps like Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop app like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, delete Vendor file located here:
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss v2.2 or BBH Tool (formerly Shrink-A-OS).
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click Loader to load OS to BB. Follow onscreen instructions.
    11. After loading OS, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is loaded.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    How to Fix OS not Appearing as Available
    There are 2 common reasons:

A. HIDDEN VENDOR FILE
    Consider trying this new desktop app to remove Vendor from several common locations:
    Vendor XML Remover V1.0

If manually deleting Vendor, always hold down SHIFT and press DELETE to permanently delete.
    Check here first:
    •64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    •32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    If Loader still doesn't make new OS available, search PC for "Vendor".

If Vendor is not found anywhere, see below to delete contents of AppLoader folder. (Folder where you found Loader & Vendor.)

B. APPLOADER FOLDER ITEMS
    1. Uninstall the OS: Control Panel\Programs and Features, highlight this BlackBerry Device Software, click Uninstall at top.
    2. Delete AppLoader folder contents: Highlight any item, CTRL+A to select all, SHIFT+DELETE to permanently delete.
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    3. Restart PC.
    4. Re-install OS on PC: Go to your browser's downloads section, double-click OS to start InstallShield Wizard.
    5. Delete Vendor: Return to AppLoader folder, highlight Vendor, SHIFT+DELETE.
    6. Load OS to BB: Attach BB to PC, double-click Loader (in AppLoader folder, where you deleted Vendor).

PS I've posted this before in other threads, but there always seems to be some people that appreciate a step-by-step each time.
    If you're not even sure if you have a BlackBerry subscription, then the chances are you don't have one. Which is why the error message was shown. Other ways to check would be to see if you can use BBM, if you can, then you have a BIS.

The easiest solution would be to call your carrier and check with them, and subscribe to BlackBerry internet service (BIS). The update should go through. Or, for some reason you have no wish to subscribe to BIS, there are other ways to go about updating the phone. To me the main thing that I like about BBs is BIS.
    06-21-12 10:44 AM
    Additional: Be sure you have an active BlackBerry data plan to be able to update your BlackBerry.

Hope it helps.
    Goodluck!
    06-22-12 12:27 AM
    I have the BB Curve 9360 on Tmobile. 7.0 Bundle 1693 v7.0.0.319. I constantly see other carriers updating to 7.1 but not Tmobile. I also see from post and reviews on crackberry that other carriers have also enabled NFC for the 9360 but not tmobile. Mine has the contacts on the rear battery door, but has no option to enable it in Manage Options.
    The help menu on my 9360 shows how to toggle it on/off but there is no place ( setting ) to activate it.
    It feels like I am not getting the full use and capabilities from my smartphone.
    06-23-12 07:46 PM
    I have the BB Curve 9360 on Tmobile. 7.0 Bundle 1693 v7.0.0.319. I constantly see other carriers updating to 7.1 but not Tmobile. I also see from post and reviews on crackberry that other carriers have also enabled NFC for the 9360 but not tmobile. Mine has the contacts on the rear battery door, but has no option to enable it in Manage Options.
    The help menu on my 9360 shows how to toggle it on/off but there is no place ( setting ) to activate it.
    It feels like I am not getting the full use and capabilities from my smartphone.
    I know what you mean... been waiting on T(rash) Mobile to give us 7.1 but it seems that I am waiting in vain
    06-24-12 06:03 AM
    I know what you mean... been waiting on T(rash) Mobile to give us 7.1 but it seems that I am waiting in vain
    It seems that carrier don't really care for lower end devices. My carrier only has the stock OS. 7.0.03XX. I wouldn't count on them releasing 7.1 for 9360. I spotted a 7.1.0.523 for 9360 on a handset detection website, not sure when we will see that. lol.
    06-24-12 06:12 AM
    Install another carrier's Os and be done with, let me guess the warranty will be void.

Yeah well my country is 3rd world, NFC capabilities will never be realized anytime soon (prozac anyone, No, ok) but its enabled.....yes hilarious I know.
    06-24-12 04:39 PM
    I have the Blackberry Curve 9360 from Vodafone India. I want to update the OS from 7.0 to version 7.1 .
    I download the official Vodafone India version of the OS 7.1 n installed it. After that I delete "vendor" file as you mention earlier.
    I selected the recommended "7.1 Bundle 1647" and Start to update.
    Up to this everything goes well, but at 2nd step (connecting to boot ROM), device gets disconnected and It came back with error message.
    So what should I do now? I really want to upgrade my phone to 7.1 OS.
    09-03-13 12:48 PM
    I have the Blackberry Curve 9360 from Vodafone India. I want to update the OS from 7.0 to version 7.1 .
    I download the official Vodafone India version of the OS 7.1 n installed it. After that I delete "vendor" file as you mention earlier.
    I selected the recommended "7.1 Bundle 1647" and Start to update.
    Up to this everything goes well, but at 2nd step (connecting to boot ROM), device gets disconnected and It came back with error message.
    So what should I do now? I really want to upgrade my phone to 7.1 OS.
    09-17-13 07:07 AM
    Alex,

Those instructions are wonderful and very detailed but I think what he, and many people, are trying to find is how to upgrade from BB OS 7.0 to OS 7.1 without a BlackBerry subscription. And there are millions of users without a BlackBerry subscription.
    03-19-14 02:21 PM
    Here's how to update any BlackBerry mobile phone from BlackBerry OS 7.0 to OS 7.1 without a BlackBerry subscription:

1. From BlackBerry website https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...646D38BC2145CA, download BlackBerry OS 7.1 to your PC
    2. Following successful download, install BlackBerry OS 7.1 on your PC
    3. Using the USB cable, connect your handset to your PC, open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and backup your device
    4. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    5. Open Blackberry Swiss Army Knife. If you don't have it, you can download and install it directly form here: BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    6. Click the button Reconnect to make sure you are connected to the handset
    7. Now this is the critical part. On BBSAK click Wipe Device. Your handset will restart and you will get the famous error 507. Don't panic! This means your mobile phone is just an empty brick with nothing inside. We'll fix that....
    8. On Windows Explorer navigate until the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the Vendor.xml file
    9. In the same folder double click the file Loader.exe, follow onscreen instructions, and click next. The modules to install BlackBerry OS 7.1 will show up, select the ones you want and follow onscreen instructions
    10. Your mobile phone will restart when it's done.
    This will take around 30 minutes.

When your phone will restart will have a fresh new BlackBerry OS 7.1 installed.

Hope that helps those who don't have Blackberry Subscription
    03-19-14 03:01 PM
    I may misunderstand or be mistaken, but can't updates be done either directly on the device itself or via the USB connection to a computer that's running the Blackberry desktop program?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350
    03-24-14 11:24 AM
    how to upgrade blackberry9360
    10-05-15 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD