Since installing 2.1 beta weeks ago, I've been unable to launch Android apps via the native QNX launcher. The screen goes black and nothing ever happens. The window does show up with my other windows and with the icon and title of the app I was trying to launch, but otherwise, nothing.

Thankfully, I have another launcher installed (Honeycomb aka HC Wallpapers) that lets me launch and run apps instead. Unfortunately, I can't do more than 1 at a time because I have to launch through that same launcher/window.

Any fix/suggestions?
    PG923 likes this.
    06-21-12 12:27 AM
    Apps can be launched through Ghost Commander. From the home screen, choose "Applications", then choose the app you want to launch, then "Sortcuts" then App name-Main. Again, you'll only be able to launch one app at a time, but maybe it'll get you up to being able to run two android apps at a time.
    06-21-12 02:12 AM
    Since installing 2.1 beta weeks ago, I've been unable to launch Android apps via the native QNX launcher. The screen goes black and nothing ever happens. The window does show up with my other windows and with the icon and title of the app I was trying to launch, but otherwise, nothing.

Thankfully, I have another launcher installed (Honeycomb aka HC Wallpapers) that lets me launch and run apps instead. Unfortunately, I can't do more than 1 at a time because I have to launch through that same launcher/window.

Any fix/suggestions?
    I had a similar problem when I tried to do a security wipe after having already installed the beta over the current release version. When the PB went to auto-update after the initial setup, it got confused and pulled down binaries for 2.0.1.358 instead of 2.1.0.560 - even though it listed the update as being for the latter (i.e. the beta) version.

Net result: No android apps would start. Not even a window/icon - just no response when i touched the icon for the app.

My solution was to re-register for the beta via the web site, wait for a few minutes, then re-do the wipe. This time the post-setup update cycle found the correct image (notably smaller than the one before - 314MB vs. 380MB) and, once setup had completed, everything worked again. And the android experience under 2.1 is amazing, especially the multitasking/multi-window support. Definitely worth the effort of a wipe/re-install.

So, my suggestion is to a) re-register your PIN for the beta, then b) do a security wipe within 24 hours of re-registering.

Worked for me...

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 06-21-12 at 02:34 AM.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-21-12 02:29 AM
    I've had a similar experience but after the security wipe the PB did install 2.1 again but no android apps would run. I registered again and waited about 5 minutes before checking for an update. Sure enough a 291mb update was available. After the second install everything seems to be working great!
    06-21-12 09:35 AM
    Thank you for posting this resolution! I had been swearing at my PB for most of the morning after two wipes in succession did not bring back Android functionality.
    06-21-12 01:16 PM
    I've had a similar experience but after the security wipe the PB did install 2.1 again but no android apps would run. I registered again and waited about 5 minutes before checking for an update. Sure enough a 291mb update was available. After the second install everything seems to be working great!
    I re-registered and got a 296 mb update now my Android apps work. Hopefully the keyboard lag is fixed too.

Edit: After doing the above, keyboard lag is still there, YouTube full screen still not working and now the browser crashes a LOT. See below for the fix.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 06-23-12 at 05:14 PM.
    06-21-12 03:02 PM
    This may not be exactly the right place but if one wanted to revert back to OS 2.0.1 (and kill/remove the beta)..... and not wind up with this mixed Android issue, how does one do that? A Full Debrick?

Thanks.
    06-21-12 05:27 PM
    This may not be exactly the right place but if one wanted to revert back to OS 2.0.1 (and kill/remove the beta)..... and not wind up with this mixed Android issue, how does one do that? A Full Debrick?

Thanks.
    I think full debrick is your only option at this point - wiping the PB, with or without re-registering, still gives you the OS 2.1.0.560 base during the initial post-setup update check (though without re-registering you end-up with a half-baked install and no android apps).

RCK
    06-21-12 06:52 PM

Any fix/suggestions?
    When I had an Android launcher installed, I had the same problem. Remove all the android launchers and just use the QNX one.

Now with multiple apps, the QNX launcher offers better functionality.
    06-22-12 02:35 AM
    When I had an Android launcher installed, I had the same problem. Remove all the android launchers and just use the QNX one.

Now with multiple apps, the QNX launcher offers better functionality.
    Agreed. With OS 2.1 now supporting multiple, "windowed" android apps, there is less need for a separate android launcher/shell. In fact, it was my desire to remove all of the cruft left over from trying various attempted (and failed) android multitasking solutions under 2.0.1 that sent me down the security wipe rabbit hole in the first place. However, now that I'm on the other side, with the 2.1 beta running smoothly, it truly is "wonderland."

RCK
    06-22-12 02:52 AM
    I had a similar problem when I tried to do a security wipe after having already installed the beta over the current release version. When the PB went to auto-update after the initial setup, it got confused and pulled down binaries for 2.0.1.358 instead of 2.1.0.560 - even though it listed the update as being for the latter (i.e. the beta) version.

Net result: No android apps would start. Not even a window/icon - just no response when i touched the icon for the app.

My solution was to re-register for the beta via the web site, wait for a few minutes, then re-do the wipe. This time the post-setup update cycle found the correct image (notably smaller than the one before - 314MB vs. 380MB) and, once setup had completed, everything worked again. And the android experience under 2.1 is amazing, especially the multitasking/multi-window support. Definitely worth the effort of a wipe/re-install.

So, my suggestion is to a) re-register your PIN for the beta, then b) do a security wipe within 24 hours of re-registering.

Worked for me...

RCK
    Thanks, this fixed all my problems except the keyboard lag.
    06-23-12 05:18 PM
    I've been a regular reader of these forums.

I had got my playbook in December last year. What amazes me is lot of people have to swipe their PBs to make it work. I've tried both betas have been doing incremental updates without ANY swipe. I've not faced a single issue with my PB (touch wood ).

Though a simple restart helps lot of times. Also, I'm bit afraid of doing the full swipe as it really takes patience to reinstall those 200+ apps.
    sigh.
    06-23-12 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD