According to the verge "Nokia: we have no plans to license Scalado technology to competitors", Nokia then went on to say on how their implementing their plans "Scalado can...fully deliver on commitments they've made to all of their partners, that includes RIM". What does that mean tho, no updates, no future innovations, no optimizing past license agreement? Someone want to ask RIM at the BB Jam Tour stop in Toronto tomorrow.

Nokia: we have no plans to license Scalado technology to competitors | The Verge
    06-20-12 08:10 PM
    Why didn't rim buy them??
    the_sleuth likes this.
    06-20-12 08:18 PM
    I would assume it comes down to how much it cost. Too much dollars for a "feature"..

I am interested knowing how are they going to leverage this license and integrate into the ui for bb10.
    06-20-12 08:57 PM
    umm front page of CB says rim will be able to use it
    06-20-12 09:53 PM
    use it yes but any further development would have to come from RIM themselves and not from the creators themselves. Kinda like flash i think
    06-20-12 09:59 PM
    If the licence agreement was well worded it would have included provision for continuing usage of scalado ip along with updates even in the event of a takeover by a competitor. So I don't think RIM will have to do any work themselves providing the lawyers have done their job properly.
    06-21-12 06:46 AM
    Well..it seems Nokia will be adding these camera features soon to their Lumias
    Video: Camera Extras for Nokia Lumia — More Options for Capturing Great Pictures : My Nokia Blog

As for people saying why RIM didn't buy scaldado, I personally believe such a gimmicky feature may mean a lot more to Nokia than to rim. Nokia have been leaders in imaging technology for years in phones and I don't think they were willing to lose this advantage..perhaps phone users in NA are not so aware of Nokia capability in imaging but their N8 is still probably a leader in phone imaging...and now with their pure view camera phone (41 mega pixel albeit on Symbian) they have blown everyone out of this game...if you go to websites, they compare in some of them the pure view to DSLR and not even to other camera phones..many sites have said the preview replaces the point and shoot cameras
    In. A nutshell, I don't believe Nokia were willing to lose this leading position because they know now a small gimmicky feature like the scaldado technology could get people's attention while overlooking pure imaging technology which they have invested a lot over in recent years so they will bring this feature to compliment their superior imaging technology and to ensure buyers don't get swayed away by pure marketing had scaldado been bought by another company (IMO, their fear was probably from apple purchasing scaldado as they make good quality camera phones and perhaps Samsung since they are also into camera technology but I'm not sure how much RIM was in this game besides outsourcing the technology from scaldado). Nokia seems to be betting their house on the MS partnership while complimenting their superior imaging and mapping technology with what MS can offer.
    06-21-12 08:03 AM
    Makes you wonder if RIM really has anything special to offer in BB10 when the two things they were highly touting (camera feature and keyboard) over a month ago is available elsewhere and easily created.
    06-21-12 08:41 AM
    @berklon I'm just hoping that the only reason RIM showed the keyboard and the camera was because they were licensed and not proprietary technology, and they have more in house tech & features that they are keeping secret.

I guess Scaldado's acquisition could be a gift in disguise, RIM will be the only company with exclusive rights to the group photo/time rewind feature outside Nokia. It could also be a curse depending on how the agreement is set up tho.
    06-21-12 10:17 AM
    This has been settled with a post on the main site.
    BB10 will still have Scalado technologies it has demo.

End of discussion.
    06-21-12 10:47 AM
    Have to love monopolies. Buy things, just to shut them down.

Just a short term, marginally useful fad anyways. Does anybody really care?
    06-21-12 11:26 AM
    Have to love monopolies. Buy things, just to shut them down.

Just a short term, marginally useful fad anyways. Does anybody really care?
    At the rate that Nokia is being run into the ground and burning through cash my guess is that someone else will own the technology within a couple years, maybe Microsoft since they will probably have to buy that pig to make their own phones so that Windows Phone will be running on something. Nokia also own's Navteq which is why RIM and Apple went to TomTom for map data, and means that Nokia isn't getting money from either for mapping too.
    06-21-12 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD