Pros:

The physical keyboard was easier to get used to coming from a touch keyboard, than the touch keyboard was after using the 9700.

The battery life is a bit better than my Rezound, and it charges a LOT faster

I like how calendar events show up in the notification tray

I really like how the 9930 feels in my hand - very solid and compact. And it feels a lot better in my pocket compared to my Rezound .

Easier to see in bright sunlight

I have found a couple great apps that replace some of my most used apps on Android (BB Traffic vs Google Nav, BBM Music vs Amazon MP3)

BBM. 'Nuff said.

The big glowing beacon of an LED.

Cons:

I miss all the functionality of the Android task bar. I loved having access to the 8 previously used apps, scrolling text when I get an alert (sender plus first few lines of emails, texts, etc), the current time, current weather conditions with widget, imo.im, navigation, current song playing w/ widget, quick settings, etc - and of course current alerts. It doesn't matter what app I'm in, all I have to do is pull down the notification bar, go to another app, then click back to go to what I was previously doing.

I miss screen real estate!!! However, of course I know this must be sacrificed for a sleek and small device

Browsing is awful . I've tried both the stock browser and Opera Mini. It's hard to tap on tiny links, and it's hard to scroll to them. The only way to format text to fit the screen is to double tap. Pinching to zoom doesn't format the text, and the action isn't as smooth as it is on Android browsers.

Haven't been able to find a suitable Cardio Trainer app.

Spinning clock when downloading an app!!! Having to reboot when uninstalling an app.

My Google + Hangout buddies miss me.

I'm still well within the learning curve of the Berry. I really haven't found that much difference between OS6 vs OS7. In another week or so I plan on doing a video comparison review of the 9930 vs Rezound.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 06-20-12 at 01:02 PM.
    06-20-12 09:50 AM
    I'm still well within the learning curve of the Berry. I really haven't found that much difference between OS6 vs OS7. In another week or so I plan on doing a video comparison review of the 9930 vs Rezound.
    I like that you're actually doing a legitimate comparison from your perspective, what you're used to, and what you like.

I had to bold part of that quote because to me it's kinda crazytalk unless you're not on 7.1. I couldn't imagine going back to OS6. The browser is unbearable, where I find myself utilizing multiple tabs on 7.1 and it's fast and great. Sure, it's missing Flash, but I have my PlayBook for any of that stuff.

There are some things that bug me still, but I've used an Android device, which is all I'd consider using other than a BlackBerry, and I could still never make the switch.
    06-20-12 09:57 AM
    The BlackBerry's app switcher doesn't work well for your needs?
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-20-12 09:59 AM
    I like that you're actually doing a legitimate comparison from your perspective, what you're used to, and what you like.

I had to bold part of that quote because to me it's kinda crazytalk unless you're not on 7.1. I couldn't imagine going back to OS6. The browser is unbearable, where I find myself utilizing multiple tabs on 7.1 and it's fast and great. Sure, it's missing Flash, but I have my PlayBook for any of that stuff.

There are some things that bug me still, but I've used an Android device, which is all I'd consider using other than a BlackBerry, and I could still never make the switch.
    I honestly forgot that 7.1 was available!!! I'm downloading it now.

The thing about Android, is that the manufacturer UI makes the user experience of various devices competely different. I'm a huge fan of HTC Sense, and I think it's safe to say that for me, I could never make the switch to a Motorola Android device because the experience is entirely different.

The BlackBerry's app switcher doesn't work well for your needs?
    When this is what I'm used to:

I'm sure you could understand that there's a learning curve to getting used to the BB app switcher. On Android, you can also long press menu for running apps, but I very rarely use that in place of the notification tray. For me personally, the notification tray is like a one-stop task shop.
    06-20-12 10:24 AM
    Hmmmm. Maybe you can use one of the notification trays on the Bold, perhaps the "Frequent" one. In OS7, you can lock the trays so it stays on the one you prefer.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-20-12 10:30 AM
    The thing about Android, is that the manufacturer UI makes the user experience of various devices competely different. I'm a huge fan of HTC Sense, and I think it's safe to say that for me, I could never make the switch to a Motorola Android device because the experience is entirely different.
    I whole-heartedly agree with this! Honestly, my only basis of comparison is the OG Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 I owned. The UI and Kais made it a miserable experience for me. Plus, that's when Android was super fragmented and most apps I downloaded were for a phone, so they weren't full screen and I disagreed with using that toolbox thing to stretch it to fit. It's like zooming in on a 1MP photo haha
    06-20-12 10:30 AM
    Hmmmm. Maybe you can use one of the notification trays on the Bold, perhaps the "Frequent" one. In OS7, you can lock the trays so it stays on the one you prefer.
    Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought of that.

I whole-heartedly agree with this! Honestly, my only basis of comparison is the OG Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 I owned. The UI and Kais made it a miserable experience for me. Plus, that's when Android was super fragmented and most apps I downloaded were for a phone, so they weren't full screen and I disagreed with using that toolbox thing to stretch it to fit. It's like zooming in on a 1MP photo haha
    As much as I like Android on my phones, I haaaate the UI of Android tablets (Kindle Fire doesn't count since it's so different lol). I didn't even look into the very first Android tabs, either, so I'm sure those were even worse! I had a Samsung Vibrant, though, so that was probably like a mini Galaxy Tab 7. If that's the case, I definitely feel your pain!
    06-20-12 10:50 AM
    Oh! Another con - I seem to get weaker signal in certain areas than on my Rezound. I've noticed this in the building I work in, and parts of the gym I frequent.
    06-20-12 10:53 AM
    Ok, a few things to help you out:

Browser- you can increase the font size in the browser, this will make it the default size in mobile sites and the font size it restructure to after a double tap (you can do the same with a trackpad press then you see a little + sign in the mouse arrow)
    The size is somehow worked in pixels so it's not actually always the same size, it varies a little from site to site.

Last used apps- a swipe to the left will take you to the frequent use panel, a swipe to the right will take you to the favorites panel which I actually turn of so I can go straight to the media panel. A press of the end call button will bring you back to the All panel, no mater that panel you're in.

You can make the All panel show one or two lines of apps or a quick flick of the thumb up or down the screen will show or hide all apps.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-20-12 11:53 AM
    PS, you do have quick settings, just tap the top of the screen, on the clock.
    06-20-12 11:58 AM
    Concerning tiny links in the browser, you may find that the trackpad gives you more precise control of the cursor. I find that I use the touchscreen on the Bold more for scrolling than for "pointing".

Also, the BB browser gives you more control over the size of the text when you double-tap. The Android browser on my Blaze only has three "zoom options".

I don't know if you used an extended shortcut app before, but this sort of utility gives you the sense of having everything just a couple of keystrokes away.
    southlander likes this.
    06-20-12 11:59 AM
    Ok, a few things to help you out:

Browser- you can increase the font size in the browser, this will make it the default size in mobile sites and the font size it restructure to after a double tap (you can do the same with a trackpad press then you see a little + sign in the mouse arrow)
    The size is somehow worked in pixels so it's not actually always the same size, it varies a little from site to site.

Last used apps- a swipe to the left will take you to the frequent use panel, a swipe to the right will take you to the favorites panel which I actually turn of so I can go straight to the media panel. A press of the end call button will bring you back to the All panel, no mater that panel you're in.

You can make the All panel show one or two lines of apps or a quick flick of the thumb up or down the screen will show or hide all apps.
    The problem with increasing the font size with such a tiny screen is that if you get it too big, you can only see a few words at a time. Too small, and you can't read it and then only have that double tap feature to get the text to format to the screen. If you want it just a tad bigger, you can't unless you go into the settings to increase the font.

How do you turn off certain panels?

PS, you do have quick settings, just tap the top of the screen, on the clock.
    I know, but it was nice to have everything in one location in the Sense notification tray.

Concerning tiny links in the browser, you may find that the trackpad gives you more precise control of the cursor. I find that I use the touchscreen on the Bold more for scrolling than for "pointing".

Also, the BB browser gives you more control over the size of the text when you double-tap. The Android browser on my Blaze only has three "zoom options".

I don't know if you used an extended shortcut app before, but this sort of utility gives you the sense of having everything just a couple of keystrokes away.
    I'm not precise with the trackpad at all, especially for tiny links. I either overshoot or undershoot, when if I was using a device with a larger screen I simply tap the link. I see the link, I see where I want to tap it, I tap it, it opens, voila . Plus, whenever I use the trackpad I always seem to hit the bottom of the screen as well. And since it's a touch screen, it moves my mark as well.

Your Blaze doesn't fit the text to your screen when you pinch to zoom?? When you pinch to zoom it should format no matter what the size. You might want to check your settings.

Nope! I've never used an extended shortcut app. What's an example?
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 06-20-12 at 12:10 PM.
    06-20-12 12:08 PM
    Tip for zooming- I don't like using pinch to zoom on the 9900 screen, I either use I and O or I hold alt and swipe up or down on the trackpad for greater accuracy.
    06-20-12 12:09 PM
    The problem with increasing the font size with such a tiny screen is that if you get it too big, you can only see a few words at a time. Too small, and you can't read it and then only have that double tap feature to get the text to format to the screen. If you want it just a tad bigger, you can't unless you go into the settings to increase the font.

How do you turn off certain panels?

I know, but it was nice to have everything in one location in the Sense notification tray.

I'm not precise with the trackpad at all, especially for tiny links. I either overshoot or undershoot, when if I was using a device with a larger screen I simply tap the link. I see the link, I see where I want to tap it, I tap it, it opens, voila .

Your Blaze doesn't fit the text to your screen when you pinch to zoom?? When you pinch to zoom it should format no matter what the size. You might want to check your settings.

Quicklaunch and Shortcutme, Sortcut me can be used with NFC Launcher if you have any NfC tags, one by my bed turns on bedside mode with a simple tap no matter what app are you on or where you are in the menus.
    06-20-12 12:11 PM
    You forgot LED light and I know you like that!
    06-20-12 12:11 PM
    From home screen press menu/manage panels.
    06-20-12 12:12 PM
    Have you looked at the app QuickLaunch? It greatly enhanced my BlackBerry experience.
    southlander likes this.
    06-20-12 12:19 PM
    Have you looked at the app QuickLaunch? It greatly enhanced my BlackBerry experience.
    Or Advance OS and LED, brilliant free app for LED notifications and so much more.

For months I kept my Berry App Free but recently installed this one and wish I had done so ages ago.
    06-20-12 12:22 PM
    Oh yeah, BeBuzz and the toast feature. Try that. And I LOVE Quick Launch!
    southlander and elphie28 like this.
    06-20-12 12:28 PM
    Being a geezer, I have the default browser font size set to 40, but I don't find that it only gives me a few words at a time. Have you tried setting it to, say, 30?

I'm not precise with the trackpad at all, especially for tiny links. I either overshoot or undershoot, when if I was using a device with a larger screen I simply tap the link. I see the link, I see where I want to tap it, I tap it, it opens, voila . Plus, whenever I use the trackpad I always seem to hit the bottom of the screen as well. And since it's a touch screen, it moves my mark as well.
    Interesting. I acquired laser-like precision with the trackpad from using the 9780 for so long. I also tend to do what belfastdispatcher mentioned: use I and O to zoom in and out, rather than pinching. Frankly, it wouldn't bother me terribly if the 9900 didn't have a touch screen, I'm so used to doing things with the keyboard. But as you might expect, from using the Blaze, and the HTC Radar before it, I do use the touchscreen more than I did when I first got the 9900.

Pro Tip: I often use the trackpad to position the cursor, but use my thumb on the Enter key to select/click something. This minimizes the chance that I will slip on the trackpad and miss the target. Yes, it's simpler just to touch the screen, but as you say, the screen is small and you'll probably have to zoom to do the touch thing anyway, so it's a matter of finding the routine that works for you.

It does, but I tend to double-tap on the Blaze too!

The ones I know of are QuickLaunch, MyHotKeys, ShortcutMe, and Advance OS and LED. I've tried them all and use QL. It works like this: You press the space bar from the home screen, or the QL option in the system menu (and there are other options for setting it up), and then the next key you press starts an app or function that you define. So, for example, <space>A opens Audible on my 9900. <space>T opens the text message inbox (I don't keep text messages in the unified email inbox). <space>U opens Upvise. You can also use two-letter triggers: <space>MH gives me the Media Home screen, and <space>MP goes into Media Podcasts. You can set the convenience/camera key to open QL from anywhere, if you want.

The other apps do much the same things, in slightly different ways, and have other features too. Not everybody uses one, but those of us who do find that we feel like we're limping when we operate the BB without it.
    06-20-12 12:36 PM
    Using shortcut me-

Space + I = turn signal from 3G&2G to 2G + tuns wifi on
    Space + O = tun signal to 3G&2G + tuns wifi off

You just press the buttons and then watch it do it's magic
    I now have it set do this at certain times in the morning and evening, I don't even press the buttons anymore.
    06-20-12 12:40 PM
    You forgot LED light and I know you like that!
    YES! I'll update my post.

Oh yeah, BeBuzz and the toast feature. Try that. And I LOVE Quick Launch!
    Do you think since I've bought BeBuzz and BeWeather in the past that they'd reissue the keys, or would I have to buy these apps again?
    06-20-12 01:01 PM
    Do you think since I've bought BeBuzz and BeWeather in the past that they'd reissue the keys, or would I have to buy these apps again?
    I find that Bellshare has great support for this.

(they have a license transfer subsection on their site)

Linkypoo

EDIT: Unless you're uncertain of your previous info. I think I initially purchased both via CrackBerry, so I had my past activation codes quite handy.
    06-20-12 01:03 PM
    I must have great eyes (every time I hand CB my phone, she says "I can't read that ), but it works for me .

I too use double tap, and almost always the trackpad on links. Even without zooming I can use it very accurately, picking through the drop-down menus here.

Signal strength will vary by OS. Keep trying till you find one that works well for you.

I keep most notifications in my main message folder, sorta like central command. Can't stand going hither and dither for stuff.

Yay PP! Nice to see you back on a BlackBerry.
    06-20-12 01:12 PM
    I think my eyesight is just poor, lol. After all, the main reason for switching to Android in the summer of 2010? A bigger screen! Browsing is comfy on my Rezound because of the large screen plus high resolution. Browsing is actually a bit less comfy on my Kindle Fire, just because the resolution is lower so the words appear more fuzzy.
    06-20-12 01:17 PM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD