Can carriers block hotspot option? Can i make it appear again? I've been using hotspot on my 9900 since the first 7.1 leaked came out and suddenly a few days ago the option simply disappeared from the manage connections.
    06-19-12 11:36 PM
    Can carriers block hotspot option? Can i make it appear again? I've been using hotspot on my 9900 since the first 7.1 leaked came out and suddenly a few days ago the option simply disappeared from the manage connections.
    Hi acrogenesis,

Try to reload your OS. If your problem persists, your carrier blocked your Hotspot feature. Call your service provider.

Good luck!
    06-20-12 04:26 AM
    Some carriers like ATT require a special tethering plan for use of the Hotspot. Others may not. The function is completely carrier dependent.
    06-20-12 07:06 AM
    I had a 30 minute argument yesterday with one of the techs at a Telcel center. He was trying to tell me that I was never able to use mobile hotspot or tether to my playbook. I used to have a prepaid plan and it worked fine with no problem. I switched over to a student plan and ever since I cant tether as mobile hotspot or even to playbook. I asked if I can add the feature and pay extra for mobile hotspot and the dude was telling me that it's not from Telcel, rather it's RIM who is blocking it through BIS. I refuse to believe this cause from a business perspective, that's not what RIM does. I called Blackberry costumer service to ask and they confirmed it's my carrier who has it blocked. Asked them for an email so that I can present to Telcel and prove them wrong. The tech guy was still ignorant and thinks it's from RIM and that Telcel has nothing to do with it. I told him that I know more than him just reading forums and he said "I went to 4 years of schooling for you to tell me this" I smiled and walked away. Very incompetent and ********.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    09-07-12 10:41 AM
    newer os's I've known to have gotten the block. when I go back to an old os I can use the hotspot.
    09-07-12 01:20 PM
    I had a 30 minute argument yesterday with one of the techs at a Telcel center. He was trying to tell me that I was never able to use mobile hotspot or tether to my playbook. I used to have a prepaid plan and it worked fine with no problem. I switched over to a student plan and ever since I cant tether as mobile hotspot or even to playbook. I asked if I can add the feature and pay extra for mobile hotspot and the dude was telling me that it's not from Telcel, rather it's RIM who is blocking it through BIS. I refuse to believe this cause from a business perspective, that's not what RIM does. I called Blackberry costumer service to ask and they confirmed it's my carrier who has it blocked. Asked them for an email so that I can present to Telcel and prove them wrong. The tech guy was still ignorant and thinks it's from RIM and that Telcel has nothing to do with it. I told him that I know more than him just reading forums and he said "I went to 4 years of schooling for you to tell me this" I smiled and walked away. Very incompetent and ********.
    Your student plan may be a BIS lite type where you have unlimited data on certain apps, but no regular data. In Canada at least, these type of plans usually do not have email or web browser, just BBM, FaceBook, twitter and other social apps.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-07-12 01:31 PM
    I have to contribute $20/mo to Sprint's bottom line in order to use the Hotspot feature. Verizon doesn't charge extra if you're already on their Share Everything plan.
    09-07-12 04:35 PM
    In the USA, yes they can and do block Hotspot if you aren't paying for this service.
    09-07-12 05:05 PM
    Like I said I'm on an older 7.1 so I don't think they implemented the block yet. I'm typing this on my iPod in my work truck using my phone as a hotspot. Attachment 116696

Sent using Tapatalk
    09-08-12 03:27 PM
    When I used the .74 OS, I had free and unlimited hotspot from Tmo. Once I upgraded to a new OS after that, Tmo has blocked it. I pay a modest $10/mth for the hotspot.
    09-08-12 10:55 PM
    Your student plan may be a BIS lite type where you have unlimited data on certain apps, but no regular data. In Canada at least, these type of plans usually do not have email or web browser, just BBM, FaceBook, twitter and other social apps.
    The plan I have is not restricted to anything you mentioned. The way my plan works is they give me a balance each month and I can use it however I want. I pay 500 MXP (about 40 bucks) and they give me a balance of 4200 MXP (about 320 bucks) to spend each month. Dunno how they're making money off of me. But, yea... it's def not restricted to certain services.
    10-28-12 09:41 PM
    Remove the vendor.xml file, then reinstall the OS. I had the same issue with O2, they blocked the Hotspot feature (which is taking the p*** when I pay for a set amount of data anyway). The vendor xml deletion allowed me to update the OS and get hotspot 9not that I use it a lot).
    10-29-12 06:22 AM
    I also have the student Plan (Plan TEC), and i use and abuse Mobile Hotspot without any problem , i have been good for about 2 or 3 months
    10-29-12 10:07 AM
    I'm on the latest OS and the option is there. Blocking of tethering is a carrier option, not a RIM option.
    10-29-12 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD