Now that the announcement has been made it looks like the new Microsoft Surface is aimed as a direct threat to the Apple iPad. Too large to be carried around comfortably it also will be underwhelming with an Arm processor restricting the device from installing a full Windows version. I'm not impressed at all with what I'm seeing.
    06-18-12 06:58 PM
    Now that the announcement has been made it looks like the new Microsoft Surface is aimed as a direct threat to the Apple iPad. Too large to be carried around comfortably it also will be underwhelming with an Arm processor restricting the device from installing a full Windows version. I'm not impressed at all with what I'm seeing.
    Well, yes it is an iPad competitor, and the Playbook never turned out to be an iPad competitor, But Microsoft said that there will be a Windows 8 Pro version, so it might compete in the enterprise tablet market.
    06-18-12 07:01 PM
    No threat to the PB? Are you kidding? What market do you think the PB is going for? Let's just pretend the iPad continues to outsell everything. MS will not be taking iPad customers, but people who didn't buy a tablet. Let's say a large MS contingency comes out for this. Great! That's two platforms doing well at the high-end. Then there is Android with a solid #3 covering the mid to low-end. Where does the PB fit in?
    06-18-12 07:11 PM
    Well, yes it is an iPad competitor, and the Playbook never turned out to be an iPad competitor, But Microsoft said that there will be a Windows 8 Pro version, so it might compete in the enterprise tablet market.
    I was hoping to see a 86 processor version in the lines of a UMPC device.
    06-18-12 07:15 PM
    I was hoping to see a 86 processor version in the lines of a UMPC device.
    That's the Pro version. The Pro version is an intel i5 and runs the full version of Windows 8 and is compatible with the normal desktop windows software.

The RT version has an ARM and will run software specifically built for it (not difficult to make given their .Net architecture and really great developer tools)
    06-18-12 07:18 PM
    Wow, what a piece of crap microsoft managed to come out with, it will fail fail fail.

I'd be very surprised if they sell more then the PlayBook, never mind iPad.
    06-18-12 07:21 PM
    Seriously? Not a threat? This is exactly what tons of people are looking for. I know I'll be picking one up as I would love to have a tablet that integrates seemlessly with my WIndows computer as the iPad does with Apple computers.
    06-18-12 07:22 PM
    Any Tablet is competition for all other tablets.

because of the wonderful term "market share" which is a wonderfully meaningless term for tablets, Computers, OS's , Phones, because form factors and functions differ so but they get lumped together.

so every new tablet released makes the ever discussed market share value of the PlayBook that much smaller, so it will hurt it.

and I'll say strait out, if Microsoft makes a Pro Surface 13"-15" I will be lined up to buy it on opening day
    dennie82 likes this.
    06-18-12 07:22 PM
    That's the Pro version. The Pro version is an intel i5 and runs the full version of Windows 8 and is compatible with the normal desktop windows software.

The RT version has an ARM and will run software specifically built for it (not difficult to make given their .Net architecture and really great developer tools)
    They didn't distinguish that very well. The only thing they said was that it was on an Arm architecture. If that's that case there is no Legacy.
    06-18-12 07:24 PM
    Seriously? Not a threat? This is exactly what tons of people are looking for. I know I'll be picking one up as I would love to have a tablet that integrates seemlessly with my WIndows computer as the iPad does with Apple computers.
    I group tablets by size. Portable as compared to bag size. Most people who buy PlayBook size tablets do so for that reason. People who don't care about size will generally lean towards a larger tablet.
    06-18-12 07:32 PM
    Real talk: Vendors need to get the whole "Have a product ready for sale when you launch it." thing down pat. Apple is great at that. They announce something cool and you can go and buy it. This isn't launching until October. Why not announce it then?
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 06-18-12 at 07:37 PM.
    06-18-12 07:32 PM
    Where does the PB fit in?
    The same pockets, purses and handbags it fit into the day before this announcement.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    BB10FTW likes this.
    06-18-12 07:46 PM
    Do not know if Surface will be direct competition for RIM... right now... Playbook is at best a Niche market device right now... Could change with BB10... hope it does but not holding my breath..... Unsure about the ARM version but looks like the intel version could kick some but@... as in essence it is an extention of the PC computer on a touch tablet... if the current apps are compatable ie office... could be a game changer... probably why the Intel version starts at 64 gig.....
    06-18-12 07:58 PM
    Just looked it up. You're crazy. It may not be a direct competitor, but it does make the Playbook look like even more of a niche product.
    06-18-12 07:59 PM
    the ipad is still going to sell like crazy. This is going to take away from the PB and android tablet market share. The PB had enough problems selling before this isn't going to help any. It will be ipad>ms tablets>>android>bb pb
    06-18-12 08:01 PM
    The same pockets, purses and handbags it fit into the day before this announcement.
    Too bad. There clearly are not enough of them: pockets, purses, and handbags begging for a PB.

Talk of direct competition is just short-sighted. Every product worth buying just pushes the PB, and its ecosystem down another rung on the ladder. This is going to outsell the PB & PB4G combined, in the first day on the market. How far down can the PB be pushed before it is no longer on the ladder at all?

Let's not forget Google's likely entry into the tablet hardware space just around the corner. The PB is not occupying a niche or a nook; it is occupying a cranny. I sincerely hope this finally pushes RIM into dropping the ill-conceived PB4G. They don't have the time, money, or market interest to be fooling around with anything but BB10 phones.
    doolaik likes this.
    06-18-12 08:15 PM
    it may actually take Playbook's market share away
    06-18-12 08:22 PM
    It seems that all the platforms are trying to compete with Apple and for a good reason they are top dog! I firmly believe that bb10 will give them all a run for their money. I just hope RIM has their act together at launch so there is no major issues .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 08:32 PM
    I can see this device having a big impact on Apple. I know several people that will abandon their Ipad for a Surface strictly due to being HUGE Microsoft fans! I know my mother in law for one is drooling over this device as she won't buy an Ipad because it's not "Microsoft" and in her opinion therefore is not compatible with her laptop! This type of thinking is huge and should not be discounted. I think they just might have a hit here! I'm holding off on my full opinion until I get to play with one!!!
    06-18-12 09:36 PM
    Don't hate on it simply because you're loyal to a brand. I'll be quick to admit I'm not a big fan of Microsoft at all... but after what I saw today, I'm going to give the Surface a very serious look, with the consideration and intent to buy if it does pan out just as they demoed.
    06-18-12 09:44 PM
    Don't hate on it simply because you're loyal to a brand. I'll be quick to admit I'm not a big fan of Microsoft at all... but after what I saw today, I'm going to give the Surface a very serious look, with the consideration and intent to buy if it does pan out just as they demoed.
    I'm a Windows user. I'm even using the Windows 8 release on one of my pc's and my son gladly took my HD2 when I moved on from it. I'm disappointed with the size of their tablet. For years they have pushed for devices under the 7" mark. Now that they have produced their own it's to big to be mobile. If the Pro version is a true 86 full Windows 8 version then the tablet might be slightly better. I'm not convinced that it's not still an RT version with a Pro moniker. Time will tell.
    06-18-12 11:00 PM
    If you look at the ipad and this windows tablet they look a lot more comparable than the PB.
    06-19-12 02:04 AM
    Wouldn't a thin touch screen ultrabook be much better? A PlayBook is not aiming at replacing a laptop, this is and I can't see it happening.
    06-19-12 02:24 AM
    Wouldn't a thin touch screen ultrabook be much better? A PlayBook is not aiming at replacing a laptop, this is and I can't see it happening.
    depends on the size and use.
    IF you are going to use a stylus on the screen, ultrabooks would suck, because you can't lay them flat open on a surface, same with walking while using it,
    I am able though it is challenging to walk and use my iPad3 I can't with my X220 laptop, it is very easy to do with my PlayBook, I travel with all 3 because all 3 have a purpose, and Microsoft Surface hopefully can replace the iPad3 & X220 laptop r
    06-19-12 06:30 AM
    One of the things I like about Apple is the seamless integration of it's products.

I would love a BlackBerry laptop, tab and phone to all sync together.

I'm liking the Microsoft tab even though I've never used a Windows Phone. I have Windows on my laptop and I like it a lot.

So, we'll see. RIM needs to get all of it's products in a finished state. None of this releasing them without important features. And they need to compliment each other, not behave like separate devices.
    06-19-12 06:43 AM
301 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD