I have had my 9900 since it came out, and I've been happy with the phone in just about every way. Recently I bought a 9790 just to try out that form factor as well, and compare the two. More or less at the same time I got a new headset, the Monster Turbine Copper Pro with ControlTalk. The latter is a high end in-ear headset which really allows me to test the phones, and compare the audio quality. (What I wright below is almost impossible to pick up with the headset that came with either phone, but very easy to hear with the turbines.)

What I've found is that the 9900 has some sort of an OS bug, or some setting I've been unable to modify. What happens is the following:

If I play a song on my 9900 the sound is kind of muffled and flat. If I then pause and resume playback it is as if the eq has been turned on or reset, for the change in sound quality is dramatically improved. This happens for all songs, but there is no need to "restart" the song if the songs are played continuously.

This bug is not on the 9790, which plays the songs with a consistent audio quality.

If the eq has been "reset" I find the audio quality on the 9900 is better than the 9790, whilst the opposite is true if it hasn't.

"Ok.. So just restart the song each time" you might say, and this may seem to be a viable, yet cumbersome solution. But it isn't.

Why? Enter Spotify. I listen almost constantly to Spotify, and as anybody who has tried Spotify on a BB knows is that if you pause a song, and press play again, the app skips to the next track on the playlist due to how the BB handles the ogg files or something. And this it does without "resetting" the eq.

This means that the 9790 is far superior to the 9900 when playing songs from Spotify.

As it stand now, I have decided that I prefer the 9900 over the 9790, just on account that it makes me more productive. That being said I will continue to use the 9790 until I've been able to figure out how to get rid of this bug.

tips or feedback are greatly appreciated!
    06-17-12 09:08 AM
    i have noticed this equalizer bug as well... will listen to music.. if i get a call ... after that the music automatically starts using the EQ and audio boost :s... dont know y it wont start normally im on 7.1.0.428
    06-18-12 08:53 AM
    right now I'm on 7.1.0.428 too, but I've reloaded a couple of different versions of OS 7.1, both clean instals and upgrades, on the phone to no avail.

right now it kind of bugs me since I miss my 9900. the 9790's keyboard is just too cramped for me. screen is a bit too on the low res side too, but the sound does it for me. I'll keep on rocking the 9790 until the 9900 is up and running sound-wise again.

I really hope somebody at RIM sees this post and implement a fix. perhaps a tweet might be simpler.
    06-18-12 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD