Just read an article that states that most young people now prefer to stream music than to own it.

I can believe that, but when I had Pandora on my BB and was streaming music going to and from work (so over a 3G connection) I was deathly afraid that I would go over my dataplan allotment, and I did see a jump in usage. So I kind of stopped doing that on the BB going over a 3G connection. But is the Pandora traffic compressed on the BB, so does that mean I could actually stream a lot more than someone on iOS or Android?

Otherwise, I can't see how this streaming thing will work with the very expensive dataplans that are rolling out. If I'm stuck 4 hours at an airport, there's no way I'm streaming music over 3G for 4 hours, right?...
    06-15-12 10:22 AM
    I'd believe it, too. I listen to TuneIn and Slacker a bit. I mostly use Amazon MP3 cloud player, though, and I'm lamenting that the Amazon MP3 BB app doesn't have cloud player functionality . I'm still trying to find a work around.
    06-15-12 10:27 AM
    Nope.

I also have the cheapest data plan, so I never stream anything over 3G. I occasionally use Pandora or Tune-In radio over wifi. But thats still very rare.

Those streaming subscription services are a waste though. Why would I wanna pay to rent music? If Im gonna pay anything, Im gonna own it. Im good with the music I own and my mp3 player (still rockin a Zune! )

Thats why I never subscribed to BBM Music, Zune Pass, Rhapsody, Spotify, etc....
    06-15-12 10:27 AM
    We use Pandora often but stream only over WiFi. Our data plans are too limited for any other streaming.
    06-15-12 10:44 AM
    I never buy music now, today's music gets old a lot faster, it's why I never buy movies either, I rent them or go to the cinema.

Paying a small monthly fee is a lot cheaper too overall.
    06-15-12 10:59 AM
    I'm streaming on TuneIn pretty much all the time... at least a couple hours per day. Greatest thing since sliced bread
    06-15-12 11:03 AM
    I put songs on my BlackBerry and listen to those but if I want to listen to the radio I'll use the Nobex app. I don't stream often but sometimes I do. I have 6GBs so I don't worry about how much data I consume.
    06-15-12 11:31 AM
    I stream Pandora and TuneIn almost daily with no problems.
    06-15-12 11:33 AM
    I only listen to some stations on Tunein when I am at the desk with wifi. Otherwise I listen to music I have synced to my BB.

BlackBerry Desktop Software makes it really easy to get music from iTunes playlists onto my BB in a organised way!
    06-15-12 11:39 AM
    I have a 6GB data plan. I find that's what it takes for carefree listening

Right now I use BBM Music, Slacker Radio, Music Master, and the Sky.fm app to stream music
    06-15-12 12:25 PM
    I prefer Tunin radio because you can choose a lower stream meaning you loose some quality but it uses far less data. I even use it while roaming.
    06-15-12 12:32 PM
    Yes, as far as I know, all data traffic on a BB phone is compressed. However, audio (and video) streams are already very compressed. As such, it is not going to be very different between platforms.

Compression makes a big difference on email, Web and IM traffic. Much less on media.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I usually stream while on WIFI so don't worry about it too much but it's always good to learn new things.
    06-15-12 03:23 PM
    My BB runs on a limited data plan so I stream music through TuneIn via WiFi. I use it daily and for a couple of hours.
    06-16-12 10:31 AM
    When I used a BlackBerry there was one month where I used 6.7 GB data, mainly because I was streaming Pandora and TuneInRadio several hours a day every day.

At the time, the unlimited data was not throttled.
    06-16-12 10:36 AM
    I stream Slacker a lot. Unlimited data. If I've ever been throttled I have never noticed.
    06-16-12 11:26 AM
    I stream alot using TuneIn I love that app
    06-16-12 01:19 PM
    I use BBM Music in my car a lot. Never really noticed a huge spike in data. I usually come in at about 300MB/month. I have unlimited data on VZW so I am not that worried anyway at this time.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-16-12 01:31 PM
    I still prefer to load music directly on my BB (7 out of 8gb on my memory card is music). Use it in the car every moment I'm in it, and a lot when I'm not in it too lol.

I believe BBM Music stores an encrypted copy of the audio on your device/memory card. It then "checks in" or can only be opened by the app itself (this is why very little data is used after the 1st use).

Not sure if others like Slacker or Pandora (which I LOVED before they blocked Canadians) store any data and always stream. Wish they had an 8tracks BB/Playbook app, I'm liking that site.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-16-12 01:52 PM
    Are there any apps that can play shoutcast stations?
    06-16-12 06:22 PM
    I have streamed Pandora(free version), Slacker(free version), Conservative Talk, Townhall Radio, and others at least 6 hrs a week on a 8330 with Sprint for 2 years. About 70% of the time roaming on the cheapest unlimited data plan (450 min. talk). I've never gone over or been charged extra.
    06-18-12 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD