B@stard Hybrid: Adrenaline (20120613)

Created by wu-wei

This build is a return to portions of earlier architectures, and is really a fine-tuning effort (since I haven't had any new OS files to tear apart in a while). After Acacia's heavy incorporation of 6.0.0.x files, I revisited several filesets to see which would optimize performance. I ended up using more 7.0.0.x files than I had in Acacia...and a few more 7.1.0.x files, too.

I have not encountered any issues whatsoever during my testing. Browsing is smooth and responsive, and overall the OS is stable and efficient.

I still recommend the multi-language 6.0.0.723 base for 9700. I have been very happy with the performance of 723, though I have also had excellent results running my builds over 6.0.0.668.

My hybrids go through testing on the Bold 9700 platform. I have received reports that my builds work well on 9300, 9650, 9780 and 9800 devices, too.

Recommended base OS versions:

9300: 6.0.0.723
    9650: 6.0.0.707 (or 6.0.0.719)
    9700: 6.0.0.723
    9780: 6.0.0.723
    9800: 6.0.0.723

I will note that some users have reported a "break-in" period with any hybrid. That is, the first day or so has poor battery life, but then things stabilize and we start sipping at the battery again. Battery life is critically important to me, so I am always mindful of those issues (and reluctant to leave my beloved 9700 for some shiny new OS7 device). I have not experienced this phenomenon myself, but I did want to mention that it is possible.

I have not personally tested this hybrid on any other devices, or on any other OS versions as a base install; however it should work on other devices without issue.

I will not be providing any support for this hybrid. I have not encountered any bugs with this build, but I have not run it through extensive testing either.

To install this hybrid, extract the contents of this zip file into the Java folder of the base OS you choose to use. On my system, these files were extracted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.723_P6.6.0.248\Java.

When you extract the cod files into the folder listed above, you should be prompted to confirm that you want to replace existing files. If you are not prompted, then you are probably trying to extract to the wrong directory and the hybrid files will not be installed on your device.

If you do not know exactly what you're doing, then you should choose one of the following options:

1. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THIS HYBRID.
    2. Read my guide on the CrackBerry forums, available here: Hybrid OS Installation Guide
    3. Read any How To posts by elite1 in practically any hybrid or leaked OS thread on CrackBerry.com
    4. Search the CrackBerry forums and read as much as you can find about how the BlackBerry OS loader process works.

Again, I will not provide any support for the installation or operation of this hybrid. It is intended for experienced users.

This package does NOT include any third party applications at all. I build hybrid OSes. I do not promote any apps or force users to choose whether they want to install apps they may not want. If you are looking for a particular third party app, I probably have an opinion about it and may be able to tell you where to find it (I'm talking free or paid versions, NOT WAREZ).

Many thanks to ench18 for testing, feedback, friendship, and the occasional (ok, frequent) bullsh!t session.

Download Adrenaline

Adrenaline Glow (should work over any 6.0.0.6xx or 6.0.0.7xx base OS)
    Last edited by wu-wei; 06-20-12 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added Glow sub-version
    06-14-12 05:23 PM
    Guess i'll give this one a try, your builds always get good reviews, lets hope this works well.

Edit:
    This hybrid hasn't been shrunk, has it? so is it safe to do so or more "at your own risk"?
    Last edited by bmercer94; 06-14-12 at 06:47 PM.
    06-14-12 06:17 PM
    Guess i'll give this one a try, your builds always get good reviews, lets hope this works well.

Edit:
    This hybrid hasn't been shrunk, has it? so is it safe to do so or more "at your own risk"?
    This build, like all of my builds, includes only updated files. Each of those files is required for a complete OS installation. However, my builds do not include ALL files necessary for an OS installation. I build as an overlay to an existing base OS folder located on your PC.

By way of example, the zip file contains 329 cod files. My personal OS installation folder on my PC has 348 files. If you look inside a stock Java folder - before shrinking - you'll see upwards of 1,200 cod files. You can shrink the OS installation folder before or after placing my files into the Java folder. It won't matter.
    06-14-12 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the prompt response, figure I'd ask you before I shrunk it, that way I wouldn't have to re-install the OS again. Working very smoothly, got a java error, but that was because DM restarted my phone, it happens every time that DM does, and hasn't happened since. Great work Wu. I attempted to install Acadia earlier today, but got a "Fatal error" during install, so i'm happy to see that this installed without issue.

I checked inside the "copy of java" folder, and there were 1600+ files, compared to the 447 that are now in the java folder, after shrinking. not entirely sure what could be shrunk, so just took out default ringtones, and the apps which I never use. I've stuck mostly to the "Berrylicious" line, but was curious to how your OSes worked.
    Last edited by bmercer94; 06-14-12 at 07:46 PM.
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-14-12 07:44 PM
    No worries - glad things are running smoothly for you.

Sounds like DM does some funky stuff to your installs.

And yes, my hybrids install differently than most others. They're not point-n-drool, but I figure copy-n-paste is pretty darn easy, too.

Shrinking is definitely a personal thing, and that's a big reason why I build the way I do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-14-12 07:59 PM
    I believe the DM messes with the installs because i'm running Windows 8, but that's not a big deal. I'll have to see if there is a thread which tells which items can be safely shrunk.
    06-14-12 08:01 PM
    I am getting stuck on uploading RAM image. The progress bar goes all the way to the right, but it isn't going on to the next step. I have had this happen before, but I don't know how to get past this. It is just the 9800 that seems to give me this problem.

I am on a Mac using VMware fusion and Windows XP and this has worked in the past and just worked earlier today to get to OS 6.0.0.723.
    06-14-12 08:06 PM
    That also sounds strange. I've never tried installs via Mac/VMware. I know I had some (but not all) USB functionality using VirtualBox on Linux, but I never tried an OS install from that setup.

06-14-12 08:56 PM
    Totally random side-note, but I don't like how TapaTalk/CB Forums App doesn't use native BlackBerry word substitution/autotext. I don't like having to remember capitalization and punctuation.

06-14-12 08:58 PM
    That also sounds strange. I've never tried installs via Mac/VMware. I know I had some (but not all) USB functionality using VirtualBox on Linux, but I never tried an OS install from that setup.

The 9800 has always been temperamental loading OS using the Virtual Machine. My earlier and later BlackBerry phones don't seem to mind the virtual machine. I think it is related to the USB ports in the virtual machine.

I am now reloading the OS using the Mac BlackBerry Desktop Manager, which seems to be progressing smoothly so far, but since I am on Rogers, it only has Rogers OS versions available. It is loading Bundle 2921, which I think is OS 6.0.0.666. I had been on 600 prior to loading 723 earlier today.

Just rebooted after the OS load and back to square one.

Anyway to install Hybrids on a Mac with the Mac OS?
    Last edited by robsteve; 06-14-12 at 09:09 PM.
    06-14-12 09:03 PM
    hope too many wipes and reinstalls doesn't have an effect on the phone....
    Last edited by Walestrings; 06-14-12 at 09:13 PM.
    06-14-12 09:11 PM
    The 9800 has always been temperamental loading OS using the Virtual Machine. My earlier and later BlackBerry phones don't seem to mind the virtual machine. I think it is related to the USB ports in the virtual machine.

I am now reloading the OS using the Mac BlackBerry Desktop Manager, which seems to be progressing smoothly so far, but since I am on Rogers, it only has Rogers OS versions available. It is loading Bundle 2921, which I think is OS 6.0.0.666. I had been on 600 prior to loading 723 earlier today.

Just rebooted after the OS load and back to square one.

Anyway to install Hybrids on a Mac with the Mac OS?
    I recall the virtualized USB ports were a touch squirrely.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to install hybrids on the Mac OS...but it would seem that you ought to be able to replace the files in whichever folder it is loading from. Unless it pulls everything down from the web during install. I'm speaking "out of school" here though, as I have never owned iAnything and have zero experience there.
    06-14-12 09:21 PM
    hope too many wipes and reinstalls doesn't have an effect on the phone....
    Doesn't seem to. I've done hundreds, possibly thousands, on mine with no ill effect.
    06-14-12 09:22 PM
    Woot woot.
    Btw, which 7.0 cods did u use wu?

06-14-12 11:41 PM
    Woot woot.
    Btw, which 7.0 cods did u use wu?

7.0.0.611. I've run comparisons on almost all of the 7.0.x files, at least the ones that I use, and I haven't found much difference between them.
    06-14-12 11:44 PM
    Thanks for the new hybrid! will try it when i get back.

I'm hoping to find any optimal build that can maximise my 3G network. I saw some post on ur other build threads about a past build Xalos that could have 3G speeds up to 60kb/s

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    06-15-12 01:06 AM
    7.0.0.611. I've run comparisons on almost all of the 7.0.x files, at least the ones that I use, and I haven't found much difference between them.

Is it the last and latest 7.0 updates? I've lost track on 7.0 updates.

06-15-12 06:00 AM
    Is it the last and latest 7.0 updates? I've lost track on 7.0 updates.

Yes sir, it sure is. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the last 7.0 ever, to go with our last 6.0 ever (723).

06-15-12 09:58 AM
    Thanks for the new hybrid! will try it when i get back.

I'm hoping to find any optimal build that can maximise my 3G network. I saw some post on ur other build threads about a past build Xalos that could have 3G speeds up to 60kb/s

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Interestingly, I was running a variation of Xarles the day that I decided to test downloading the 7.1.0.437 installer on my phone...and I recall seeing an average download rate that exceeded the maximum rate I've experienced on my PC (admittedly not a "turbo" connection or anything). I wish I knew what files I was running that day - I'm pretty sure I didn't make notes about that build. SMH
    tang63 likes this.
    06-15-12 10:03 AM
    Running Adrenaline right now and I got these results:

Users can check detailed results here.
    tang63 likes this.
    06-15-12 03:12 PM
    As opposed to using my WiFi connection:

The testing site picked up the fact that I was not on a mobile carrier, too. Nice.
    06-15-12 03:20 PM
    Great, like I needed something else to obsess over.

Here are some more results using different speed test sites:

Oddly, some of these speed tests are reporting at rates greater than 4G.
    tang63 likes this.
    06-15-12 05:06 PM
    I really love to try loadin this , unlucky me, off from lappy for maybe 1 or 2 weeks. Dang.
    Last edited by lordnorms; 06-15-12 at 08:28 PM.
    06-15-12 08:25 PM
    As opposed to using my WiFi connection:

Click to view quoted image

The testing site picked up the fact that I was not on a mobile carrier, too. Nice.

A link would be nice

06-15-12 08:26 PM
    I recall the virtualized USB ports were a touch squirrely.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to install hybrids on the Mac OS...but it would seem that you ought to be able to replace the files in whichever folder it is loading from. Unless it pulls everything down from the web during install. I'm speaking "out of school" here though, as I have never owned iAnything and have zero experience there.
    I was able to try the install on a real PC and it flew by without a hitch. I have only played with it for a little bit and it seems snappier than I remember the 9800. It is my old 9800, but my son has had it for the past year.

I have updated some of the social App's through AppWorld to the latest versions. Will this affect the hybrid other than it being a newer version of the app?

I would also like to thank you for the time and effort you put into making these hybrids. They bring new life to older phones.
    wu-wei likes this.
    06-15-12 08:48 PM
158 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD