Three months ago it was reported that PlayBook had a 15% share of the Canadian market.

RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook has 15% of the Canadian tablet market share, report says | MobileSyrup.com

Today it is being reported that PlayBook has climbed to a 20% share.

Apple iPad top-selling tablet in Canada
    06-13-12 09:53 AM
    Lets hope they can continue this trend
    06-13-12 10:30 AM
    20% is pretty good considering the ipad is just under 70%.
    06-13-12 10:37 AM
    Not bad. Slowly but surely the perception is changing.
    06-13-12 10:51 AM
    I'm surprised it doesn't have a higher market share in Canada since many Canadian posters support products simply because they are considered "Canadian". Pretty impressive that Ipad can have such a powerful position in Canada.
    06-13-12 11:22 AM
    I'm surprised it doesn't have a higher market share in Canada since many Canadian posters support products simply because they are considered "Canadian". Pretty impressive that Ipad can have such a powerful position in Canada.

Ah yes...how silly to support products made in one's country....seems only Canadians do that, eh?

buy american bumper stickers - Bing Images
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-13-12 at 11:39 AM.
    hpjrt, BBPandy, Dr.Deebs and 5 others like this.
    06-13-12 11:29 AM
    With the anticipation of BB10 around the corner and PlayBook 4G passing FCC its only getting better. RIM should have always had its grounds (Canada) grip tight. Oh well its competition its good for the consumers at the end.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-13-12 11:36 AM
    The ipad launched Long before the playbook.

I say 2nd place is better then 4th or 5th.. Suprising non of the android tablets haven't overtaken the playbook.

Kindle fire is not available in Canada.. So keep that in mind
    06-13-12 12:52 PM
    Marketshare via discounting and write-offs isn't really impressive, HP managed that for a quarter with the touchpad - the impressive trick is when you build marketshare and profit from it by getting people to pay a realistic price and thus have a decent margin.

So far, only apple and (maybe) Samsung seem to be able to do that (and I'm not sure about Samsung - anyone?) - as it currently stands, it would be quicker for companies entering the tablet market to simply fly a helicopter over a city and throw money over the side.
    Last edited by cgk; 06-13-12 at 02:43 PM.
    06-13-12 02:29 PM
    06-13-12 03:13 PM
    This is pretty great news, but what you have to remember is that the PB has only been out for 1 year and at 20% that is a pretty good 'foot in the door'. The iPad has been out for 3 times as long... so those 'iPad' numbers can include any version of the ipad.

even if the PB gains 5% each of the next 2 years that will make it 30% for PB and 60% for iPad.

obviously that wont happen, because newer devices will come out and all that... but 20% is a great number for a 1 year old device against something as big as the iPad.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-13-12 04:07 PM
    Thanks for the piece of positive news.
    06-13-12 04:21 PM
    I really think you guys and gals should be looking at quarterly sales, in the Sept - Nov 2011 time frame, they only sold 150,000, prior to that 500,000 in total. In the last reporting period, Dec. - (to the end of) Feb total sales were 1.3 million plus units. That only includes 5 weeks of sales when the Playbook was REALLY on sale with PB OS 2.0 in it. From Feb 21st on, they have sold a bundle of them.

Couple this with the forecasted 1.7 million for Fiscal 2013, and I like to think they are having some major success here. The ramp up in sales occurred after PB 2.0 came out and it is still doing well. If they can get 4G and Skype who knows how many more they might sell? The thing is, you can't find a display model anywhere in the US and yet they sell 450,000 a quarter now. How is that possible? It is because it is such a good deal, it sells itself the hard way, without advertising.

I for one am thinking of buying some for my family/in-laws just for video chatting alone.
    06-13-12 05:45 PM
    O Canada! our home and playbook land! True patriot-love with playbooks in our hands...
    Last edited by abwan11; 06-13-12 at 06:31 PM.
    06-13-12 06:21 PM
    FYI the 70% ipad users are all American immigrants. jj
    Last edited by abwan11; 06-13-12 at 06:41 PM.
    06-13-12 06:33 PM
    FYI the 70% ipad users are all American immigrants. jj
    lol probably
    06-13-12 07:40 PM
    It's a good tablet without the millions of dollars of marketing that Apple throws behind the IPAD. It's starting to selling itself mostly by word of mouth. Sure the discounted price helps, but if demand continues to grow I'm sure RIM can have it an appropriate price point for profitability.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-13-12 09:01 PM
    It's a good tablet without the millions of dollars of marketing that Apple throws behind the IPAD. It's starting to selling itself mostly by word of mouth. Sure the discounted price helps, but if demand continues to grow I'm sure RIM can have it an appropriate price point for profitability.

You have to spend money to make money...The playbook is a solid tablet however it has a lot of shortcomings imo...
    06-13-12 09:05 PM
    Hmmm. Assume extension to general population as one typically assumes for surveys:

estimated pop in Canada 2012 --> 35 000 000
    75% anglophone --> 26 000 000
    21% own a tablet --> 5 500 000
    20% of those who own a tablet own PB --> 1 100 000

total number of "Playbook customers" according to RIM --> "over a million"

I think the survey, despite estimated accuracy, hit the 1 out of 20 outlier unless all PBs were sold only in Canada.

IOW, I do think the Playbook is doing well in Canada but I think 20% of the tablet market is a little optimistic. It so happens that of the ~400 people who said they owned a tablet in this survey, 80 owned Playbooks.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-13-12 09:16 PM
    You have to spend money to make money...The playbook is a solid tablet however it has a lot of shortcomings imo...

Pure hardware and OS, it probably has less shortcomings and more strenghths than the market leader imo. And yes I own and use both.

06-13-12 09:26 PM
    Pure hardware and OS, it probably has less shortcomings and more strenghths than the market leader imo. And yes I own and use both.

So do I, and I beg to differ...But I digress...hopefully things get better real soon...

I seen all your magic tricks
    Abracadabralous
    My crowd gather around; it's the resurrection of Lazarus
    06-13-12 09:31 PM
    I think its finally coming into its own. As one poster mentioned above, if they can get some of those key apps, people may start really looking at it. What they really need to do is start fighting back against Apple in the Business world. The iPad is seeing huge gains there now and I think RIM is missing out by not putting themselves in the running there, especially since so many companies have Blackberry handsets still.
    06-14-12 10:54 PM
    Funnily enough when I saw this thread I thought it was referring to stocks so I checked it out, and RIM is doing quite good today. Started at 10.40, now up to 10.79, that's a 3.76% change which is actually quite good, especially since it had been steadily falling and was just days ago at 9.66
    06-15-12 10:50 AM
    Well to be honest, I in part purchased my PlayBook because it was inexpensive at the time, I wanted to pair it with my BlackBerry and also because I wanted to show a little support for my Canadian company. Since I've had mine, I know a few family members, friends & co-workers who have also picked one up.
    06-15-12 11:14 AM
    Well with RIM virtually giving these thing away for free..it doesn't surprise me to see a slight increase in share %. Now that the 16GB version is "discontinued", and the only models available are the pricier ones, I'd be surprised if people still opt to purchase them.

Until this tablet can secure some Netflix, it will never become widely adopted.
    06-15-12 11:22 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD