Bit of help here please. I bought Stellarium off the back of the reviews it was getting as a means of finding out 'what's up there' on any given evening. I'm no astronomer and half the options are not going to be used by me, all I really want to be able to do it point my PB at what I can see out of my window and have the app show me what I'm looking at. Thing is, when I use the 'eye' option to use GPS/compass it's all over the place. Is there a calibration I should be using? Horizon is off and using something easy like the sun or moon it's clear that what I am seeing on the PB has no bearing on what is going on in the sky over my head. Has anyone else had problems with this? I'm on the latest beta but it was the same before I upgraded.
    06-13-12 07:30 AM
    Not sure if this helps, but the competing product What's Up instructs the user to rotate the device end for end in each axis a few times to calibrate the compass.

By the way, I can't say enough good things about What's Up. I bought it for less than a buck back when the point and view was so choppy it was unusable because the dev said he would improve it soon. With the latest updates he just released the app is smooth, fast, compact (about 1MB!), and still less than a buck!
    jafobabe and Herve5 like this.
    06-13-12 07:54 AM
    make sure your location is set correctly. It may not be getting a gps fix.
    06-13-12 08:31 AM
    I noticed you pointed out the Window. What I do is take my playbook out the casement.walk outside and get my GPS fix and then I use the app. Works very well.
    06-13-12 08:37 AM
    Not sure if this helps, but the competing product What's Up instructs the user to rotate the device end for end in each axis a few times to calibrate the compass.

By the way, I can't say enough good things about What's Up. I bought it for less than a buck back when the point and view was so choppy it was unusable because the dev said he would improve it soon. With the latest updates he just released the app is smooth, fast, compact (about 1MB!), and still less than a buck!
    Thanks for this jeremyn. Ordinarily I am a modest, self-effacing independent developer who does not feel at all comfortable blowing my own horn. But lately, I have been in panic mode and sometimes feel that I might have to do something drastic to remain competitive with the "new" kid on the block. My sales have been very poor since Stellarium's arrival on the scene.

But the OP has convinced me that I am on the right path by designing my app from the ground up to leverage PlayBook's sensors and avoid glitzy bells and whistles that detract unnecessarily from the apps simplicity and ease of use.

And while I still feel uncomfortable blowing my own horn, there is not one thing in the following review that I could possibly disagree with:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Title: Quite possibly the best app on App World!
    Created Date: Jun 13, 2012 7:55:53 AM
    Release: 1.5.5

Review Body:
    This app cost me 99 cents a few months ago and promised to get better without additional charges, and today I can honestly say that it has now reached awesome status! The compass with declination is amazing, the point-and-view functionality is smooth, and the newly added search functionality that actually guides you to the searched object is nothing short of awesome! As if all this weren't enough, the developer provides his contact info so you can email him with questions, comments, and/or suggestions...and he responds in an expedient manner. In short, this is the app you want, and amazingly the price is still just $0.99!
    OniBerry, Shira3, jafobabe and 1 others like this.
    06-13-12 08:39 AM
    Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try heading outside and see if that helps. It's so annoying as all the other options while I'm sure are of great value, aren't what I need at this stage. Made the call between Stellarium and What's Up based on the positive reviews and the fact that it seemed more mature in terms of development (no offence to What's Up intended at all, it just seemed that Stellarium was already a success on other platforms). I know it's only a couple of quid but I'll persevere with it as I like all the overlays and the new pinch to zoom aspects. My non work phone is Wp7 (BB 9300 for work) and I have to say I do miss the 'try before you buy' standard from MS marketplace. Any tips on calibration as detailed above or is it just a case of tumbling the tablet all around?
    06-13-12 09:23 AM
    I noticed you pointed out the Window. What I do is take my playbook out the casement.walk outside and get my GPS fix and then I use the app. Works very well.
    Assuming that the app can save your location, and you don't need to use GPS every time it starts, there is no reason why the app wouldn't work inside. It does take a little practice to ensure that the compass is pointing in the right direction. It is affected by the magnetic connector for rapid chargers any by magnest in cases, etc. Recovery from exposure to interference can take some time but there are some tricks that speed up the background re-calibration process.

Another factor that may be in play here is that the magnetometer does not point to true north, so unless it is corrected for declination, it can be off by 10 or 15 degrees. The current API does not include this support so it is up to the developer to implement it. This is especially problematic if you are zoomed into a narrow field of view.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 06-13-12 at 02:49 PM.
    BB_Bmore and JimiDiGriz like this.
    06-13-12 09:28 AM
    I would love to see a UI change in a future What's Up version, i finally learned in the new version how to use P&V and im loving it!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    06-13-12 04:27 PM
    So, The Stainless Steel Rat finally comes to CrackBerry. First off, my real name is Inskipp so, be carefull. We want no 0.75 recoiless pistols in here.

No wonder you need Stellarium.

If I could help you I would but I too have looked at the program but have not bought it yet.

Welcome to Crackberry.

P.S. How is Angelina?
    06-13-12 04:44 PM
    She's on the school run with James and Bolivar

....Damn Special Corps follow you everywhere....
    Pete6 likes this.
    06-14-12 12:31 AM
    Stellarium freezes for me on 2.1.0.840. I've rebooted and reinstalled Stellarium with no luck. Is anyone else having the same issue??
    08-31-12 08:45 AM
    Yes same issue here with 2.1.0.840. Doesn't register any screen input, though it does during the start up on the splash screen. But once you are in the main screen it just sits there frozen.

I've emailed the support email address but nothing yet. Guess I'll stick to using Whats Up for now, which i find great and if Sellarium still isn't working within the next 7 days, find a means of getting a refund...and i don't give up easily..be warned app world!!!!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-01-12 03:33 PM
    Having the same issue. This wouldn't happen if the dev made the app native and not android port. If I knew this was another android port, I would have never bought this app.
    10-01-12 05:08 PM
    Hey,

The orientation of the playbook does matter - you need to have the volume buttons at the top, then activate the gps, then hit that 'eye' button. turning around holding the playbook makes the horizon track correctly.

If i hold the playbook upside down, then the tracking of the horizon is reversed, but not exactly. It seems to be 80 - 120 degrees off, in some cases.

And yes, since the .10 version the program crashes. I first had that happen on one of the betas / leaked versions. But, having just upgraded to the 2.1 latest version of the Playbook, the crashing still occurs. I did remove, reboot, reinstall, reboot to confirm nothing was left in place that might have impacted the correct operating of the app.

Another smaller one, discovered before it started 'hanging', was that switching on the art of the constellations would crash the app.

Anyways, here's to hoping for a quick fix on these issues. Going camping soon again, need that map to the Sky :-)
    10-03-12 03:53 PM
    Like others have reported, ever since PB OS 2.1.0.1032, Stellarium hangs about a second after the first touch input.
    10-03-12 04:54 PM
    When I get home I'm going to try and contact them and see if we can get something to fix this soon.
    10-03-12 09:05 PM
    huh. how about that. my stellarium hangs up too now, just after loading.
    10-03-12 10:03 PM
    I've got the reply from developer regarding app crush under OS 2.1: 'There is backward incompatibility issue in the latest OS update. RIM and I working on resolving it. I'm sorry for inconvenience.'
    jafobabe and psybiggs like this.
    10-04-12 08:07 AM
    glad to hear someone is looking at a fix.
    10-04-12 10:19 AM
    Still no word from them. How do we apply for a refund? It's been two weeks.
    10-23-12 12:20 PM
    Hmm.. I can't find it in appworld anymore.. Anyone else?
    It is an opensource project however so if the code is there it can be ported by someone else..

Having the same issue. This wouldn't happen if the dev made the app native and not android port. If I knew this was another android port, I would have never bought this app.
    Who said it is Android port? As far as I know it is native..
    10-23-12 01:39 PM
    Still no word from them. How do we apply for a refund? It's been two weeks.
    I would like to know this too. It's not so much the incompatibility issue, more the fact the developer doesn't have the courtesy to reply to my emails.
    10-25-12 03:21 PM
    I want this app to work again its one of my favorites.
    10-25-12 06:16 PM
    I guess this guy has too many irons in the fire. He's had PLENTY of time to fix this.
    I've got the reply from developer regarding app crush under OS 2.1: 'There is backward incompatibility issue in the latest OS update. RIM and I working on resolving it. I'm sorry for inconvenience.'
    12-15-12 12:02 PM
    Got a refund from BB app world.
    I complained. They said to contact the developer. I told them that others had tried, and got no response.
    I provided them with my BB ID and Device PIN.
    I got my refund within 30 mins.
    12-15-12 04:11 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD