Apple selects TomTom as primary iOS 6 maps provider?? I thought RIM *Partnered* with Tom-Tom and was going to use their services for their own maps application??

Apple selects TomTom as primary iOS 6 maps provider -- Engadget

EDIT: My mistake it was a partnership NOT an acquisition.
    Last edited by FMB8900; 06-11-12 at 05:41 PM.
    06-11-12 03:57 PM
    RIM acquired TomTom?
    06-11-12 03:59 PM
    The short version is - you thought wrong.
    shaleem likes this.
    06-11-12 04:00 PM
    Apple selects TomTom as primary iOS 6 maps provider?? I thought RIM acquired Tom-Tom and was going to use their services for their own maps application??

Apple selects TomTom as primary iOS 6 maps provider -- Engadget
    RIM acquired TomTom?

I thought they just were "in partnership".
    06-11-12 04:01 PM
    NO. Tom Tom is a strategic partner. So mapping/ navigation on both platforms should now be on par and deeply integrated into the OS.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-11-12 04:01 PM
    RIM absolutely did not acquire TomTom. Partnered. Big difference.
    06-11-12 04:02 PM
    Nope RIM got into a partnership with TomTom for navigation, which is apparently what Apple is doing too. The good news is that BB10's navigation could/should be a very similar experience to what we saw Apple demo today. TomTom owns TeleAtlas, and Navteq is owned by Nokia, and Google has their own. This is nothing more than Apple and RIM both going with a company that doesn't have their own smartphone offering that may provide them less data than they allow themselves to get.
    06-11-12 04:06 PM
    Kind of stinks because I like garmin more than tomtom.

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    Chrisy and The_Adventist like this.
    06-11-12 04:56 PM
    Kind of stinks because I like garmin more than tomtom.

Sent from my blabbering thumbs using Tapatalk
    Garmin uses Navteq (Nokia) I think. I doubt you are going to see a TomTom branded app on BB10, it will probably be a BB branded navigation app using the TeleAtlas traffic and map data that TomTom owns, just like what it appears that iOS is doing. I too prefer Garmin over TomTom for in car navigation.
    06-11-12 05:02 PM
    HAHA....Apple said that they were doing their own MAP solution, turns out they are not realy. They are just partnering with someone.

Why I find this so funny is becuase on iMore & CNET & many other places people are talking about how they no longer have to use tomtom & how it will be way better then tomtom
    lnichols likes this.
    06-11-12 05:26 PM
    Oops my bad, It was a partnership not a acquisition. My mistake.

RIM has a acquired so many companies in the past couple of years, for some reason I thought Tom Tom was a acquisition too LOL

SO I guess we will have a similar maps application to iOS6 then...
    06-11-12 05:39 PM
    SO I guess we will have a similar maps application to iOS6 then...
    You already have parts of it already. Bing Maps and Blackberry Traffic on OS7 both use TomTom. (See About in the respective apps.)
    06-11-12 06:59 PM
    I guess it wasn't an exclusive partnership. It'll be very interesting to see how the two services compare.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-11-12 07:20 PM
    HAHA....Apple said that they were doing their own MAP solution, turns out they are not realy. They are just partnering with someone.

Why I find this so funny is becuase on iMore & CNET & many other places people are talking about how they no longer have to use tomtom & how it will be way better then tomtom
    It appears to be the data (and maybe routing algorithm?) they licensed, not the implementation. I just used it coming back from the gym and it doesn't look or feel like anything I've seen from Tom Tom.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-11-12 at 07:35 PM.
    06-11-12 07:33 PM
    I can't see this being a good move for Apple. So many people use and love Google maps.
    06-12-12 11:06 AM
    This is good for RIM.  has struggled with turn by turn navigation apps (in my opinion), having a full blown GPS tomtom style app for your  is going to be great.
    06-12-12 11:14 AM
    It appears to be the data (and maybe routing algorithm?) they licensed, not the implementation. I just used it coming back from the gym and it doesn't look or feel like anything I've seen from Tom Tom.
    You just used it coming back from the gym??? You used iOS 6 Maps already!?! or am I reading what you said wrong?
    06-12-12 11:15 AM
    I can't see this being a good move for Apple. So many people use and love Google maps.
    if you play with the new maps on an iPhone, you'll see why people will greatly prefer the new solution. The two main things I see is (1) it is already significantly faster and smoother, especially on a cellular connection, and (2) they can finally do turn by turn (the Google license didnt' allow Apple to do that).
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-12-12 at 11:17 AM.
    06-12-12 11:15 AM
    You just used it coming back from the gym??? You used iOS 6 Maps already!?! or am I reading what you said wrong?
    The beta was made available yesterday after the keynote.
    mphillips828 likes this.
    06-12-12 11:16 AM
    It will be interesting to see what both companies come up with for front ends.
    06-12-12 11:19 AM
    I am curious what people think about the differences provided...we now know both will be using TomTom as the underlying mapping solution, but RIM and Apple are the companies which will modify the appearance and layout...so I am wondering what people think the differences will be in terms of appearance? Will RIM offer a FlyOver view similar to Apple, is that a TomTom ability, or did Apple create that? Will RIM do the basic Satellite Mode? I really hope we see RIM using TaT's concept ideas within their Map App, meaning the 3D Horizontal rendering...where if you are walking you can rotate the phone to get the actual buildings in view and navigate around the streets that way.

I saw a recent video RIM had created I believe in 2011 but just got in the wild last week, and it is from over in Sweden or something and they showed off what RIM believes will be the future use of SmartPhones and they showed mapping solutions that looked amazing! It tracks where you are and constantly updates and all that, I know that sounds normal but Ill find the link and post it so you can see what I am saying
    06-12-12 11:19 AM
    New BlackBerry Enterprising Minds Video Shows Awesome Concepts | N4BB - News for BlackBerry - forums, leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

there is another video that I can not find atm...but this one does show off the mapping I was talking about, and many other cool features RIM is thinking will be the future...check it out and enjoy!
    06-12-12 11:25 AM
    Why this doesn't surprise me?
    06-12-12 10:46 PM
    I wouldn't want to be google's b!tch. I can see why they're kicking google in the gut and switching. Surprisingly, they haven't chosen Bing maps. It works on blackberry via the browser.
    06-14-12 08:53 PM
    iOS6 is using TomTom? What a Frankenstein OS...
    06-14-12 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD