I don't get it.

I thought I had purchased a very reliable brand name 16GB Ultra fast micro SD card. And today, my phone powered completely down (I was out on a fishing trip with my son when it happened), and when I was able to recharge it all of a sudden my media card was corrupted (and it couldn't self fix).

This isn't the first micro-SD card that's failed on me.

It's a crying shame all the pictures that I've lost.

Is there any way to recover the data? Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?

Does anyone else have a similar experience with their media cards failing often?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions (and condolences)

Lonnie
    06-10-12 09:56 PM
    I have never had this happen and currently I have 4 MicroSD cards in use. Some will say that
    the manufacturer of the card makes all the difference. I disagree, again, I have never had a
    memory card just up and fail and several were from completely unknown (to me) makers.

I do make a habit of copying the content of those cards to separate storage as a sort
    of backup. That doesn't do you much good now but maybe going forward it will save you
    a little aggravation. Good luck
    06-10-12 10:13 PM
    I also have never had one fail on me. I use them for my BB, my Sony HD Camcorder, digital cameras, my once-upon-a-time Palm device, etc., with nary an issue. Even when they're years old.

The only one I've ever lost was when a family member leaked retardation all over it, snapping it in half in an ill-thought attempt to cram it into a device it wasn't made to fit.
    06-10-12 11:48 PM
    I also have never had one just up and fail for no reason. The SD card in my torch, is the same 4gb one I've used for the last 6 years that I originally purchased for 8310 curve.
    06-11-12 06:04 AM
    It isn't the SD card, its something to do with the phone itself and the factory formatting of the SD card. There are a lot of posts on crackberry regarding this, and it gets confusing finding the solution. Proper sd card formatting is the key

Firstly, plug the sd card into your computer directly, and backup all the data on it. Then stick the SD card back in your phone and format it using the phone, not windows. connect the phone with sd card inside back to your computer and bring all your files back onto the SD.

If you connect the sd card into your computer directly not through the BB it should still let you get your files off of the card.

That's how I had done it and I haven't had any issues with any brand of SD card.

Just a note, There are less manufacturers of the actual flash memory. Companies just brand the SD card with their name and distribute it.
    Nickerz likes this.
    06-11-12 08:15 AM
    I've been using the same MicroSD card for over 4 years now. Never had a problem like that, but I do back it up every week so I don't lose too much if it does happen.
    06-11-12 09:33 AM
    I've been using the same MicroSD card for over 4 years now. Never had a problem like that, but I do back it up every week so I don't lose too much if it does happen.
    Always prudent.
    06-11-12 01:09 PM
    I just recently received a replacement card from SanDisk and this is the 2nd time this has happened for me. The first time, SanDisk simply had me reformat my card and everything worked but then it happened again and I insisted on them sending me a new card. Looks like now it could have been an issue with reformatting altogether. I did have a backup but it wasn't as recent as I would have liked but it was better than nothing.

Is this possibly why Apple doesn't like the external memory cards for thier iPhone?
    06-11-12 03:16 PM
    I just recently received a replacement card from SanDisk and this is the 2nd time this has happened for me. The first time, SanDisk simply had me reformat my card and everything worked but then it happened again and I insisted on them sending me a new card. Looks like now it could have been an issue with reformatting altogether. I did have a backup but it wasn't as recent as I would have liked but it was better than nothing.

Is this possibly why Apple doesn't like the external memory cards for thier iPhone?
    My card was a SanDisk too
    06-11-12 03:52 PM
    It isn't the SD card, its something to do with the phone itself and the factory formatting of the SD card. There are a lot of posts on crackberry regarding this, and it gets confusing finding the solution. Proper sd card formatting is the key

Firstly, plug the sd card into your computer directly, and backup all the data on it. Then stick the SD card back in your phone and format it using the phone, not windows. connect the phone with sd card inside back to your computer and bring all your files back onto the SD.

If you connect the sd card into your computer directly not through the BB it should still let you get your files off of the card.

That's how I had done it and I haven't had any issues with any brand of SD card.

Just a note, There are less manufacturers of the actual flash memory. Companies just brand the SD card with their name and distribute it.
    I will try that.

BTW, how does one format the media card on the Torch? I've searched for it in the past and couldn't find out how.

Thanks in advance!
    06-11-12 03:52 PM
    With the Memory Card inserted into the device and device is unplugged from BlackBerry Desktop Software...

Options>Device>Storage>Menu>Format
    lcgoldman likes this.
    06-11-12 04:36 PM
    I don't get it.

I thought I had purchased a very reliable brand name 16GB Ultra fast micro SD card. And today, my phone powered completely down (I was out on a fishing trip with my son when it happened), and when I was able to recharge it all of a sudden my media card was corrupted (and it couldn't self fix).

This isn't the first micro-SD card that's failed on me.

It's a crying shame all the pictures that I've lost.

Is there any way to recover the data? Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?

Does anyone else have a similar experience with their media cards failing often?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions (and condolences)

Lonnie
    I also had an SD Card which failed and took all of my data with it to the grave!

When hard drives crash you have the option to pay to get your data back. But with SD cards, you don't have that option.

I am now backing up my SD card every week.
    06-11-12 09:16 PM
    With the Memory Card inserted into the device and device is unplugged from BlackBerry Desktop Software...

Options>Device>Storage>Menu>Format
    Thank you!!
    06-11-12 09:26 PM

No good... oh well...

I will just have to make sure when I get a new card that I do backup routinely.

Lesson learned (again!)
    06-11-12 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD