Post removed.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-07-14 at 01:56 PM.
    06-10-12 05:57 PM
    WOW that is nice! Now to save up my pennies for the XTS... ... Lots of pennies.
    06-10-12 06:09 PM
    4,407,500 pennies.
    That's the basic model.
    jafobabe and hpjrt like this.
    06-10-12 06:16 PM
    I've heard that rumor, and there was some discussion the other day around the new concept QNX Jeep that's been built.

Again, since QNX requires some engineering support from other manufacturers (cough "Apple" cough), they're probably trying to keep the projects/contracts they landed before they were bought by RIM fairly separate.
    06-10-12 06:16 PM
    I've heard that rumor, and there was some discussion the other day around the new concept QNX Jeep that's been built.

Again, since QNX requires some engineering support from other manufacturers (cough "Apple" cough), they're probably trying to keep the projects/contracts they landed before they were bought by RIM fairly separate.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG4D6GtZoUo[/YT]
    06-10-12 06:21 PM
    Caddys dont sell here in the uk. That jeep wrangler looks great though
    06-10-12 07:15 PM
    According to this AutoGuide article dated 7 May, the Cadillac CUE infotainment system is based on Linux.

"The first brand that is truly taking advantage of Linux is Cadillac. Their new XTS, and ATS sedans as well as their SRX crossover will have a Linux-based infotainment system (called Cadillac CUE, seen left)..."
    06-10-12 07:59 PM
    Isn't QNX kinda sorta but not really, based on Linux?? Like distant cousins or something?

That display thingie sure looked like a PB shell.
    06-10-12 09:47 PM
    I don't know the history of QNX so I could not tell you if they are related. However, from the PlayBook rooting articles, it appears the Linux/Unix command and file model was followed in QNX. That makes sense because that model is familiar and adequate for the task. No reason to reinvent the wheel when the familiar wheel rolls. By the way, Android IS basically a stripped down Linux.

A multicore CPU is literally like having more than one brain available to handle the work load. In the example above, one core can handle general purpose tasks while another core can handle the RADAR input and brake application.
    Exactly - from "Autoblog 10/12/2011":

CUE's first application will be inside the 2012 Cadillac XTS, followed shortly thereafter by the ATS and SRX, with every model in the Caddy line-up getting the system by 2015. With that level of adoption, Cadillac has to back it up with some serious hardware, and the bits behind the dash don't disappoint. A three-core, ARM 11 processor that's nearly four-times more powerful than other systems on the market is sure to make tech geeks happy, particularly when it runs a modified version of Linux. The trio of cores � each offering up some 400 MIPS � are tasked with handling both the eight-inch capacitive touchscreen mounted in the center console and the 12.3-inch customizable display behind the steering wheel, with two of the cores adapting to handle voice instructions on the fly. Cadillac is already talking about bringing third-party developers into the mix, and by basing much of the system on Java and HTML5, creating custom-tailored apps or adapting existing programs for CUE should be easy and quick.
    06-11-12 07:38 AM
    There is nothing inherently wrong with GM using Linux except CUE is very much a realtime system and Linux is barely a realtime OS...

...In the example above, one core can handle general purpose tasks while another core can handle the RADAR input and brake application.
    If the article's description of CUE as an infotainment system is correct, I can't imagine a scenario where it would be processing input from RADAR to control braking. While it is possible to have a single bus and a single central processor manage all aspects of the car including engine control, I doubt any engineer would seriously consider that. If I were designing automobile infomatics, I would keep critical control systems like brake control air-gapped from infotainment systems. Sensor inputs can be shared.
    06-11-12 09:58 AM
    WOW that is nice! Now to save up my pennies for the XTS... ... Lots of pennies.
    Yeah, but i think this is more YOU Jaff Then ya just mount your playbook on the dash
    and POOF you have a qnx 59...... AND you get fins.....big ones

You'll notice I remembered the lucky hat too.....
    06-11-12 04:19 PM
    Well, the article suggests that CUE is Linux-based and not QNX-based. I do believe that QNX is the basis for GM's other infotainment systems, though.
    06-11-12 05:00 PM
    I know the lead design engineer at Cadillac and if he had his way it would be iOS based.
    06-11-12 05:14 PM
    If iOS were in the cadillac, that alone would make me not buy it. HATE iOS.
    01-24-13 08:50 PM
    Having once owned one I can think of other reasons not to buy a Cadillac. Speaking of car systems does anyone have any comments on the Ford system?
    01-25-13 12:22 AM
    02-06-13 06:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD