The iOS 6 banner claims iOS 6 to be "the world's most advanced mobile operating system".

So iOS 6 will be a real-time OS with true multitasking and allows updating system services without rebooting.

Oh wait. Have I just described QNX?
    06-09-12 05:38 AM
    So what is changing or just a banner for hype? Home button gone? I can't see them doing real time multitasking as we all know that is silly on a mobile, right
    06-09-12 05:50 AM
    So what is changing or just a banner for hype? Home button gone? I can't see them doing real time multitasking as we all know that is silly on a mobile, right
    We'll find out next week if Tim Cook can out-do Steve Jobs. But no matter what, I'm sure everyone at the WWDC will walk away convinced that iOS 6 is indeed the world's most advanced mobile OS.
    06-09-12 05:53 AM
    Of course they will

Maybe they will do something new but then that might alienate the masses if they lose their HELP button.

Edit, so far the comments are good but sure the flaming will start soon lol
    06-09-12 05:58 AM
    At some point they are going to have to stop building on old code, just as RIM scrapped their legacy os and built on QNX. BlackBerry kept saying 6 and 7 were new os's, however it was just a refresh of an old is. I think apple might be headed that way with IOS 6.
    morganplus8 and anon(3896606) like this.
    06-09-12 06:07 AM
    I wonder if they do, will we be hearing all of the same things we heard from the detractors when RIM started doing it.
    06-09-12 06:11 AM
    At some point they are going to have to stop building on old code, just as RIM scrapped their legacy os and built on QNX. BlackBerry kept saying 6 and 7 were new os's, however it was just a refresh of an old is. I think apple might be headed that way with IOS 6.
    I'm sure iOS and OS X share some code base. So, refreshing iOS to meet the needs of the future shouldn't be too difficult. The question is whether or not Apple wants to copy from RIM or Google.
    mtu_storm2 likes this.
    06-09-12 06:12 AM
    Sales numbers will prove who the consumer thinks is the most advanced operating system. As of now Apple sales are amazing, if BB10 can come close to those sales numbers then they can claim the same.
    pri79269 likes this.
    06-09-12 06:45 AM
    A new UI needs to be included in this so called advanced mobile system for starters.
    06-09-12 06:46 AM
    Sales numbers will prove who the consumer thinks is the most advanced operating system. As of now Apple sales are amazing, if BB10 can come close to those sales numbers then they can claim the same.
    I've heard over and over that the majority does not know nor care about the OS so sales must have nothing to with the OS. Apple sales are what they are due to massive advertising and carrier push.
    06-09-12 06:49 AM
    Apple sales are what they are due to massive advertising and carrier push.
    Not happy and satisfied consumers?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    jegs2 likes this.
    06-09-12 06:54 AM
    Not happy and satisfied consumers?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    That too or the cool factor. Who is to say they wouldn't be just as happy and satisfied with something else if they were pushed, talked into that?
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    06-09-12 07:06 AM
    Looks like RIM has not learned their lesson. This feels like a repeat of the "Amateur hour is over" fiasco.

So iOS 6 will be a real-time OS with true multitasking and allows updating system services without rebooting.

Oh wait. Have I just described QNX?
    How come on the Playbook OS, when somebody reports any problem, the most common piece of advice on the forums is either to reboot the PB or worse, wipe and reinstall. This is not a good indicator of a what is supposed to be the "worlds most advanced mobile OS".
    darktoy and mca312 like this.
    06-09-12 07:07 AM
    Looks like RIM has not learned their lesson. This feels like a repeat of the "Amateur hour is over" fiasco.

How come on the Playbook OS, when somebody reports any problem, the most common piece of advice on the forums is either to reboot the PB or worse, wipe and reinstall. This is not an indicator of a robust OS.
    The problem is RIM doesn't give us an easy way to restart the GUI layer (and other stuff) without rebooting the device.
    06-09-12 07:09 AM
    I wonder how many bowls of rice Apple paid a few Chinese kids to write iOS6?
    06-09-12 07:17 AM

How come on the Playbook OS, when somebody reports any problem, the most common piece of advice on the forums is either to reboot the PB or worse, wipe and reinstall. This is not a good indicator of a what is supposed to be the "worlds most advanced mobile OS".
    Maybe because it is still beta.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-09-12 07:22 AM

The most common advice given on any operating system when troubles occur is to reboot...not just mobile. If I couldn't do a battery pull on my girlfriends galaxy s, it would be unusable. It requires at least two a day.
    samuelwhatshisface likes this.
    06-09-12 07:38 AM
    That's the most common response because that is what works. When I had an iOS device I did the same thing. I also do the same thing on my PC.

I Must be wrong iguess
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-09-12 07:40 AM
    The most common advice given on any operating system when troubles occur is to reboot...not just mobile. If I couldn't do a battery pull on my girlfriends galaxy s, it would be unusable. It requires at least two a day.
    A friend of mine has to reboot his Droid TWICE daily as well! I'm trying to convince him to get a BB10 when it's out.
    06-09-12 07:43 AM
    How come on the Playbook OS, when somebody reports any problem, the most common piece of advice on the forums is either to reboot the PB or worse, wipe and reinstall.".
    Ever used a PC?
    z1nsane and jmd.aKBar like this.
    06-09-12 07:50 AM
    I wonder if they do, will we be hearing all of the same things we heard from the detractors when RIM started doing it.
    Probably not as Apple now appears to prepare in advance, working on new products in advance and in secret, not waiting to be overtaken by the market trends and then promising something for two years.

I wonder how many bowls of rice Apple paid a few Chinese kids to write iOS6?
    Your view of Chinese people is derogatory and narrow minded.
    Maybe RIM should take a page from that book, they might get their product out sooner. There are other brain trust they can use beside Waterloo without exploitation.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 06-09-12 at 08:05 AM.
    06-09-12 08:00 AM
    I find the home button on the iOS a bit odd. RIM should start having some fun with it in ads.

They could portray iphone users as always having to go home before trying anything new. Just like momma's boys.

It would be pretty aggressive to take on the established leader directly. But really, at this stage, it is what they need to do.
    battery likes this.
    06-09-12 08:02 AM
    I can see the headlines now: Apples's new iPhone fixes unemployment

If iOS6 comes with true multi-tasking they will need to add thousands to the Genius Bar as their customers flock there with complaints of poor performance. Get used to killing the dozens of apps they leave running in the background. Then it will become clear that running one Web browser with multiple tabs is much smarter then using many tiny apps to do what a good browser should be doing.
    06-09-12 08:03 AM
    When I read their banner I was super shocked. They are trying to stir the pot. Most people that buy their products will believe what they say but all the people that know even a little about tech will call bull, unless of course they have something super magical to show off.
    06-09-12 08:05 AM
    I am not a fanboy of any company or mobile device, but I am fascinated by mobile computers. As such I am a regular reader of this forum, Android forums, and iOS forums. The reboot/wipe piece of advice is more common by far for PB OS than it is for Android, and even less of iOS. Many iOS users have to be reminded how to reboot.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-09-12 08:08 AM
253 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD