For those in need of a low-cost VPN solution I can confirm that StrongSWAN, a VPN server, can be used to allow a BlackBerry PlayBook to connect. The VPN profile on the tablet needs to use Generic IKEv2 VPN Server as the gateway type.

If anyone wants a pre-built VM image that you can configure following the instructions in the article, just send me a private message. WARNING: The operating system inside the VM is Debian GNU/Linux not Microsoft Windows. Maybe I will post it to my website or Box at some point in the future but for now you will have to send a private message and I will provide the download link. I am still conducting some testing.
    blusls likes this.
    06-08-12 10:29 PM
    I'm interested, been looking for something like this that will run on my WHS 2011. Currently installed is VMware 7.1.5, but I think that should be fine.

Sending a PM now...
    06-08-12 10:41 PM
    I would be interested if u could post the config settings needed. Strongswan.conf as i have strongswan already installed on my ubuntu box but lack proper settings
    06-09-12 01:51 AM
    I am also interested in seeing your configuration as I tried this about 6 months ago and couldn't get it to work properly.
    06-09-12 02:08 AM
    I will try to devote much of this weekend to rebuilding, configuring, testing and documenting the VM for StrongSWAN. The configuration file will be available, both as part of the VM image and as a separate file. However, do not expect the VM to be available until mid-week (Wednesday, 13 June 2012) to allow me some time to relax this weekend.

"Rock on, good people."
    06-09-12 05:14 AM
    I would be interested if u could post the config settings needed. Strongswan.conf as i have strongswan already installed on my ubuntu box but lack proper settings
    I will make the StrongSWAN configuration file available separate from the virtual machine image for those with existing installations but in need of a working sample configuration.
    06-09-12 05:16 AM
    Well, this VPN is exactly what we were talking about for peeps that wanted to use the Amazon Cloud Player Outside the US. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4/#post7432612
    06-09-12 06:03 AM
    Sweet, thanks for sharing!!!!!
    06-09-12 10:15 AM
    Just curious. What sort of apps are you running on your playbook that require vpn access to your home or corporate network?

We've got a vpn at work for our corporate application so we can access the network and run it remote. Couldn't do that on the playbook though.
    06-09-12 08:34 PM
    Well, this VPN is exactly what we were talking about for peeps that wanted to use the Amazon Cloud Player Outside the US. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...4/#post7432612
    currently i have installed on my playbook the amazon mp3 apk and it works great. i live in canada and for some reason it still allows me to stream with my canadian ip. even the web based cloud player works for me with my canadian ip.

I was unable to purchase any music though. I had to upload the music myself for it to work. I have a vpn in the states where i accessed my account and tried to purchase music through the amazon website with an american ip and it still locked me out.

i had to create a second account stating I lived in some random american place and then I was able to purchase music on the american ip. I never bothered testing if I could stream the music with the new account to my same playbook as not having the ability to purchase mp3's is not really a big issue.

I do have the free 5 gig thing as well.

DepositFiles
    06-09-12 09:53 PM
    currently i have installed on my playbook the amazon mp3 apk and it works great. i live in canada and for some reason it still allows me to stream with my canadian ip. even the web based cloud player works for me with my canadian ip.

I was unable to purchase any music though. I had to upload the music myself for it to work. I have a vpn in the states where i accessed my account and tried to purchase music through the amazon website with an american ip and it still locked me out.

i had to create a second account stating I lived in some random american place and then I was able to purchase music on the american ip. I never bothered testing if I could stream the music with the new account to my same playbook as not having the ability to purchase mp3's is not really a big issue.

I do have the free 5 gig thing as well.

DepositFiles
    The problem that I had with the sideloaded Amazon app is that it downloaded the music onto my PB. Defeated the whole idea of saving space
    06-10-12 07:27 PM
    no strongswan.conf yet? if u have it running it should be as easy and copy and pasting... of course change your pws... or w/e credentials u use to log in
    06-13-12 10:33 AM
    The problem I have run into with VPN on the Blackberry is, the native client doesn't do dual tunneling, so the only connection you have is via the VPN connection (no separate internet connection locally). As such, when the VPN is connected, unless you have an internet proxy running on the host machine, no internet is available while connected to the VPN.
    06-13-12 04:25 PM
    Express VPN is a good one too. It cost a bit but if your not satisfied with it then you could have a money-back guarantee.
    08-13-15 09:58 AM
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 04:32 PM
    For one, hide.me do.
    09-30-15 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD