Hi everyone,

I'm new to Crackberry.com and I was hoping to start my membership under better circumstances. Today I bought a 9860 and unfortunately I just wrecked it trying to update to OS 7.1 trough BlackBerry Desktop Software. When I started the update process it warned me that the process can take a long time and that if I interrupt it, my device might become unusable. Everything seemed to run smoothly up until a point when an error message appeared saying that there was a communication error [A:0x0000000F] and that the only option I have is to disconnect my device, restart my PC and start over. I did precisely that, restarted my PC, tried to start the update process again, but with the same result. Same error, same recommendation. My device does not power on now, the red led keeps flashing regularly, and it is not recognized by the Desktop Software in any other aspect (other than update) so I can't restore a previous backup. All I can do is try to restart the update process. Which will fail again at the same point with the same error, leading to pointless repetitive failures. The only thing I have right now is a LoaderBackup-(2012-06-08).bbb file created during the first update attempt, which according to my poor knowledge could be restored with the help of Loader.exe which I don't know where to find and/or how to use. The phone was not brand new, it was second hand but it was in a very good shape, everything working smoothly, it appears it's initial carrier was yesOPTUS which is an australian carrier. I am currently using it on Orange. The phone worked 100% fine before the failed update so I don't think the error is carrier related.

I have attached a link to a screenshot of the error.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21007326/error.PNG

Please tell me I didn't just completely wreck my new 9860. This day turned into a very bad joke. Any help is appreciated at this point.
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by irelative; 06-08-12 at 06:41 AM.
    06-08-12 06:39 AM
    The error message should have mentioned nothing of rebooting the PC, and only to disconnect the BlackBerry then reconnect it. Try that
    06-08-12 07:52 AM
    06-08-12 07:58 AM
    @BigBadWulf - Hello. I did try that too... It doesn't work. Also, I'm stuck with the LoaderBackup.bbb file since the desktop manger 7 doesn't have the "Restore" function clickable in the menu since it doesn't recognize my device. so I can't restore the backup either...

@gmpblack - this is for US cellular right? I live in europe and using orange. does that mean that my phone will be locked in cellular network if I succeed? thanks
    06-08-12 07:59 AM
    You need an OS on it to restore. That's not a Desktop issue. Since it won't boot now, you'll need to try this technique:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry
    06-08-12 08:09 AM
    Try this:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry

And/or

How do I Recover a Dead BlackBerry?

Also - make sure (1) you only have one BB OS on your computer (2) both vendor xml file are off your OS. And (3) I always like to disconnect from the internet while loading a new OS.
    06-08-12 11:00 AM
    dear op,

first of all relax. it's impossible to permanently wreck a bb via software. it is always possible to reload the os.

follow the links provided by the posters above me and you should be fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    06-08-12 11:40 AM
    thank you all for your help and @Sarcasm Detector you made me smile It appears that the problem was caused by the fact that the usb cable was connected to one of the chasis USB ports and not directly to the motherboard's USB - hence the name of the error "device communications failure". As soon as I moved the cable to the motherboard USB port the update was successful and my phone came back to life. anyway, in case someone else is having the same issue, this worked for me. this tread can be closed.
    06-08-12 12:17 PM
    Welcome to CB. Glad we could help.
    06-08-12 12:29 PM
    @1magine - Thank you. Now that I got saved from the darkness of the failed update, I am experiencing problems with activating the data plan for my BB (I have posted in another tread). I would appreciate if you have any suggestions. Thanks.
    06-08-12 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD