Just FYI. Don't want to get my hopes up...but it's a positive sign...

As reported from Mikel Calderon, a developer attending the BlackBerry 10 Jam Tour in Santa Clara, California, someone from Skype was apparently attending too. The Skype developer gave the usual “We’re always looking to expand to other platforms”, but Mikel believes they’ll begin working on a BB10 Skype client after today.

Microsoft and RIM have been somewhat friends in the best. Microsoft’s BING search engine has become the initial option when using a BlackBerry browser. Why haven’t we seen a Skype app yet? Some have given the conspiracy theory that Microsoft wants to leverage Skype over RIM so that Windows Phone can have an advantage. Regardless, Microsoft is missing out on the over 1 million PlayBook users and the potential influx of users once BlackBerry 10 is released.

Nevertheless, we have to applaud the Skype developer (whoever he/she is) for taking the time to see what BlackBerry 10 is all about. Who knows, perhaps we just may see a Skype app once the first BlackBerry 10 device releases later this year.
    N4BB
    06-07-12 02:32 PM
    I read "don't get too excited " before the tweet ... But still good news
    06-07-12 02:44 PM
    In my book Skype is now Microsoft so this is equivalent to checking out the competition. Nothing more until they tell us otherwise.
    06-07-12 06:45 PM
    In my book Skype is now Microsoft so this is equivalent to checking out the competition. Nothing more until they tell us otherwise.
    No, a member of the Windows team might be there to "check out the competition."

A Skype developer? Might not have been there in any official capacity, but at least on a personal level he might just be interested in supporting BB10...
    06-07-12 11:16 PM
    It's not like Skype does nothing with Blackberry to begin with. Some BB phones have Skype Mobile. The video chat feature will arrive (for both phones and the tablet) as soon as RIM joins the 21st century and releases phones with front facing cameras.

Simple as that.
    06-08-12 12:02 AM
    It's not like Skype does nothing with Blackberry to begin with. Some BB phones have Skype Mobile. The video chat feature will arrive (for both phones and the tablet) as soon as RIM joins the 21st century and releases phones with front facing cameras.

Simple as that.
    And a final version of an OS (Tablet OS/BB10).
    06-08-12 12:10 AM
    Skype just taking a ride on RIM for some publicity since RIM is always in the news and for most world, unavailability of Skype on the platform is one of the biggest failures. Sure, should make Skype feel wanted as an essential mobile platform tool.. However, was very well ignored that BB's never had a front camera and Skype was never a part of their plan.

Anyways, to cut short.. Now they have a front camera and Skype or something better is going to be available.. Only thing RIM needs to worry is that Video Chat should still be in fashion until October launch of BB10.. Skype rep is just a small fish in a very big pond..
    DrBit2011 likes this.
    06-08-12 12:42 AM
    Seriously, the guy is a Mobile Application Engineer, I got his business card. I can tell you what he told the crowd, but you tell me what it means or doesn't mean.

I honestly didn't think much of it other than "Hey they guy's badge says skype on it" I let him know skype is one of the most coveted apps on playbook right now and he seemed interested but gave me the official mantra. He wasn't at the native app development track, but he was at the WebWorks/HTML5 sessions. Seems like he and his buddy, which I'm sorry I didn't catch his name, were trying to figure out how to port their iOS/Android app "interestix" a pinterest/wikitude type app without the pictures or maps. Its a geolocation app that shows you people around you who have similar interests as you. They apparently don't have a blog to post updates, but they do have interestix.com which at this point is just a static image of an iPhone.
    06-08-12 01:01 AM
    Seriously, the guy is a Mobile Application Engineer, I got his business card. I can tell you what he told the crowd, but you tell me what it means or doesn't mean.

I honestly didn't think much of it other than "Hey they guy's badge says skype on it" I let him know skype is one of the most coveted apps on playbook right now and he seemed interested but gave me the official mantra. He wasn't at the native app development track, but he was at the WebWorks/HTML5 sessions. Seems like he and his buddy, which I'm sorry I didn't catch his name, were trying to figure out how to port their iOS/Android app "interestix" a pinterest/wikitude type app without the pictures or maps. Its a geolocation app that shows you people around you who have similar interests as you. They apparently don't have a blog to post updates, but they do have interestix.com which at this point is just a static image of an iPhone.
    Well even though you said not to get excited for Skype, I did. But after readings this I'm not again. It sounds just that this guy happens to work for Skype but has his owe side projects that might use BB10. Why wont Skype Just come to PlayBook already they are on everything else, even touchpad, and who uses that?
    06-08-12 02:42 AM
    They should have dropped a cage on him and said you get out when Skype works on this Dev Alpha we are giving you .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    06-08-12 06:44 AM
    It's so sad! BB is practically begging them to come over. They should be coming over to BB, or RIM shall be coming up with their own multi-platform video chat software that'll kick its .
    06-09-12 07:06 AM
    In the meantime you can do no wrong in filing a complaint about the pathetic failure of Skype to address the issue of Skype for BlackBerry. Please do so via this link Complaint Information

The complaint is against Skype, 2125 Hamilton Ave, San Jose, CA95125

This is the office of Tony Bates, Skype CEO.
    06-09-12 08:42 AM
    In the meantime you can do no wrong in filing a complaint about the pathetic failure of Skype to address the issue of Skype for BlackBerry. Please do so via this link Complaint Information

Sounds like a plan!

PS. For those that think RIM makes the skype app, realize they do not. Also not to forget, that Skype is a B!TCH to both VERIZON and 3UK besides microsoft. It sucks. We don't likely see skype until THOSE TWO release it.
    06-10-12 01:12 AM

Complain to BBB against Skype? On what grounds?

For not being interested in a platform with only a million users?

And not developing a FREE app, which they had no contractual obligation to develop in the first place?

Definitely sounds like a plan

Edit: FYI - From BBB FAQ

"The BBB only accepts consumer-business complaints alleging misrepresentation in advertising or a problem with a company's goods or services."

None of the above is present in this case.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-10-12 at 01:43 AM.
    06-10-12 01:21 AM
    A BBB complaint, really? The only thing that will do is make RIM look even more desperate to smart phone users. This will definitely make new users choose IOS or Android.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-10-12 06:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD