xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Alex30000; 09-18-08 at 09:41 AM.
    09-16-08 03:40 PM
    You knew there was a chance of getting caught. They have every right to charge you, because $10,000 is a lot of data usage, and they should not be expected to let you slide when you knew what you were doing was wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 03:48 PM
    i'm in the states, but now this post has me curious -- i know rogers has sucky data plans but had there been some sort of work around with opera mini?

sorry to hear about your plight -- hope it all works out
    09-16-08 03:57 PM
    What data plan were you on? $7 Unlimited On Device Mobile Browsing, or $15 Personal Email on Blackberry?
    09-16-08 05:25 PM
    Post a picture of this, this I just gotta see!

09-16-08 05:35 PM
    Why can't you use it with your data plan?

09-16-08 05:47 PM
    I always use that and i dont get charged, i have unlimited with Tmobile.
    09-16-08 05:56 PM
    Guys, what he is talking about is a work around that worked with Rogers. You made $15/month for Unlimited email/IM with NO browsing, however there was a loop hole. If you downloaded Opera Mini, you could surf the net and not get charged.

I dont know about the validity about the OP though - not to doubt you or anything as you are trying to help us, but I havent heard a major uproar yet. COnsidering the amount of people that were doing this, you would have definitely felt a shockwave if they all got bills worth $10k.
    09-16-08 06:12 PM
    Guys, what he is talking about is a work around that worked with Rogers. You made $15/month for Unlimited email/IM with NO browsing, however there was a loop hole. If you downloaded Opera Mini, you could surf the net and not get charged.

I dont know about the validity about the OP though - not to doubt you or anything as you are trying to help us, but I havent heard a major uproar yet. COnsidering the amount of people that were doing this, you would have definitely felt a shockwave if they all got bills worth $10k.
    yeah.. I totally agree. I don't know if the OP is just bsing...
    09-17-08 12:10 AM
    Maybe I'm just dreaming, but, I thought Rogers had a $100 cap on data overages. Or was that something else???
    09-17-08 06:07 AM
    Maybe I'm just dreaming, but, I thought Rogers had a $100 cap on data overages. Or was that something else???
    AFAIK, the overage cap comes into effect with the release of the new data plans on October 1st (500mb/$25, 1gb/$30, etc...). That having been said, I don't think any usage prior to October 1 would be subject to any cap.
    09-17-08 06:50 AM
    You're probably right . . . . it was just something I remembered hearing, so, thought I'd throw it out there, but ,now that you mention that, that sounds even more right!
    09-17-08 07:20 AM
    If u re sign up now u can get a 6 gigs of data plan....
    09-17-08 04:48 PM
    Is this real? a 10k bill is pretty high!
    09-17-08 05:37 PM
    I doubt the validity of the OP's claim. We would have heard from other Rogers users by now.
    09-17-08 06:37 PM
    screenshots = ??????

without it.. nothing but douts
    09-17-08 06:47 PM
    2nd post is that he got a $10k bill, sounds fishy
    09-18-08 08:21 AM
    Stop stealing internet now! LOL

09-18-08 08:38 AM
    ...Who the f*** has $10,000 to give to Rogers? If they didn't want us using the app, then they should have corrected the loophole a long time ago.
    While I share your sentiment that no one has $10k to "give" to Rogers (or anyone else for that matter), I'm finding it hard to sympathize with your situation.

While a new "member" here myself, I have been dropping in on this site regularly for the last 6-7 months reading up on all things BB. The loophole was well described along with ways to exploit that loophole. BUT if memory serves, it was "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK".

And while not being a lawyer, I'm pretty sure that not correcting a loophole immediately is not tacit approval that you may freely exploit this. That your own lawyer is saying you'll probably wind up paying out something (both to Rogers and him) should convince you of that.
    09-18-08 08:40 AM
    If they didn't want us using the app, then they should have corrected the loophole a long time ago.
    That's like saying it's ok to walk into a person's house and steal their things because they forgot to lock the front door.

You gotta take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming others (even if it is Robbers). I'm sure you knew the work around was at your own risk and there was always a risk of getting caught.
    09-18-08 08:47 AM
    I wanna see the bill. This is why I pay my 30$ a month for my data. Saving yourself 15$ a month has in the end cost you a lot. Just pay for data if you want to use a BB as it ought to be used.
    09-18-08 08:54 AM
    I'm not going to suggest that the OP is lying based on the number of posts. To be honest, it's not my bill to pay so it doenst matter one way or the other. If this did happen to him, then at the very least, those who are using OM & have the same type of plan, need to check into their bill now instead of waiting to see what its going to be later on.

The title of this post speaks volumes; *caught*! That right there is the OP having full knowledge that what they were doing was wrong & the probability of getting caught existed BEFORE he got caught.

The bottom line, this was not Rogers' fault!!
    09-18-08 09:02 AM
    The bottom line, this was not Rogers' fault!!
    Well it sure is somebody's fault! If not Rogers, then maybe RIM for making devices that would allow this loophole to be exploited in the 1st place. Or maybe the government for failing to regulate. Gotta be able to blame and sue someone. 'Cause lord knows no end-user would ever ever do something like that!
    09-18-08 01:41 PM
    Cry me a river! Everyone has a loophole thats exploited until patched or caught as in Ur case.

09-18-08 01:57 PM
    Well it sure is somebody's fault!
    Ya it is the OP fault, and anyone else on Rogers fault who thoguth they could cheat the system.

I see the OP deleted his post, so who knows if this is real or not, but if the OP would have played by the rules, we would not have had this thread.
    09-18-08 02:05 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD