Please tell me someone can help me. I bought a storm from this guy the other day. Now I live in South Africa and the phone is a Verizon. I've looked everywhere and have seen that Verizon locks the GPS or something. How can I unlock it? I've tried everything...I've gone to GPS and refreshed, I've done the whole status test thing, I've completely wiped the phone to the 507 error screen and reloaded the OS 5. Nothing makes it work. Help please

I sold my Garmin to buy the phone cause it has a GPS...and now I'm a bit screwed.
    06-07-12 08:47 AM
    anyone?............
    06-07-12 10:53 AM
    have you tried using another app? I believe they lock GPS so you can use their VZ Navigator.

Telenav is a GPS app offered to Verizon customers, not sure if its available in SA though.
    06-07-12 11:04 AM
    Here in the US, the GPS is not locked. I use several different GPS based programs.
    06-07-12 11:09 AM
    Every time I try download telenav it says "Unavailable for this device"
    06-07-12 11:12 AM
    did you contact Verizon?
    06-07-12 11:36 AM
    The GPS on the Storm is NOT locked, Verizon USED to lock their GPS's but they stopped doing it, either with the Storm, or with that Pearl that flipped, BUT the Storm for sure has an unlocked GPS.
    06-07-12 11:46 AM
    Powdah: Don't see how that helps me.
    shemaree09: I just mailed them.
    pkcable: Um okay cool, I'm not imagining it doesn't work though....

Can anyone help me?
    06-07-12 11:57 AM
    Well, there is a way around it- If you CAN'T get the GPS unlocked, you can buy a GPS Puck (w/bluetooth) and connect via bluetooth. All Nav apps and mapping apps should work fine.
    Lots around for $20-$30 US. just use a generic puck, not a branded one that might require specific software.
    06-07-12 11:57 AM
    It's been ages since I powered on my old Storm, but if I recall correctly (not certain) the GPS was opened after an OS update from VZW on the Storm. If it was, it was one of the first few OS updates. Like I said, I may recall incorrectly, but it rings a bell. I seem to recall that there was a workaround near the launch of the device in which you had to use BB Maps to get the GPS initiated before other apps that used the GPS could use it.

But I couldn't imagine that any Storm devices wouldn't have received any OS updates over the last 4 years.
    06-07-12 12:31 PM
    Um, thanks for the replies guys...But nothing is really helping me???
    It doesn't work because it's locked. It's a 2008 phone I think so it was locked. Is there a way to unlock it?
    06-07-12 02:53 PM
    sale it & get an up to date phone.....
    06-07-12 03:07 PM
    What are you trying to do? I mean, it lets you turn on the GPS yes? Have you tried accessing BB Maps or Google Maps? I would imagine that it should still work regardless. Do you have active service on this device? If so, who is the carrier? I'm assuming you purchased the device unlocked, you haven't had any issues with the basic operation of the device have you? Able to use BBM, email, etc? I'm wondering if it's more than just a GPS issue...
    06-07-12 07:49 PM
    Just a thought. Download a phone locator app. Then turn on GPS and see if it finds the phone. I test mine every once in a while with BlackBerry Protect. Good luck.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    06-07-12 08:43 PM
    elvin1983 - Im just trying to get the gps to work...I can turn it on in the advanced options but when I click refresh gps it doesn't find me, just times out. I've tried google maps and bbmaps but both just triangulate me they also time out when trying gps. My bbm and emails work perfectly, everything works fine except the gps.
    06-08-12 03:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD