Hello,
    I bought a BB9900 on ebay, it was new, device who somebody won on a conquest, and put it on ebay.com. I won the bidding for about $440+shipping to Miami, FL. I do use the BB on another network, so I'm not current user of ATT (I don't live in USA), now the BB9900 has a problem, the wifi receptor died!. I called the att warranty, they said the phone is on warranty (they check it by imei), but as long as the phone never became activated, or is in use on the network with them, theres no warranty. The operator told me about the idea of getting a plan, maybe prepaid plan in order to activate the phone and then go to the warranty.

What a bad service, no from ATT, who appears to have a solution, but to RIM, why don't they offer warranty? the equipment is made by them, and if you have the option of being free to use the phone, with a code, maybe themselves make (I mean the unlocking code) so, you have to offers warranty by you. This is make me thing getting out of blackberry.

I can ship the phone to Miami, FL and ask my family there to activate the phone and try the warranty, but honestly I don't live there, maybe the cost of doing that is superior than trying to order a new one. Plus I've read guys at ATT are no angels about warranty, and the minimum scratch will be charged. I've readind about normal wear signs charging $115...

What is your opinion about this? what would you do? is it easy to go with a prepaid sim card, and then ask for warranty? or as fas as you know maybe it doesnt work?

I appreciate your opinion! good look!
    Last edited by yv1650c; 06-07-12 at 10:36 PM.
    06-06-12 10:53 PM
    Isn't that terrible? You don't give them any money and they don't help you. What is the world coming to?
    niss63 likes this.
    06-06-12 11:22 PM
    Isn't that terrible? You don't give them any money and they don't help you. What is the world coming to?
    and the worst thing here, is RIM Wash their hands on responsibilities here. It's like having no responsible here of people who sells or made this phone.
    06-06-12 11:28 PM
    and the worst thing here, is RIM Wash their hands on responsibilities here. It's like having no responsible here of people who sells or made this phone.
    he was being sarcastic...

thats kinda the risk/reward for buying something on ebay... there is a reason it is cheaper than buying it outright from the manufacturer.

RIM has nothing to do with you because you purchase devices from AT&T (even indirectly). RIM is only responsible to AT&T for what it sells
    06-06-12 11:38 PM
    Imagine this. I sell you a car, and then you go to Ford asking for the warranty replacement. But you aren't the original owner (some companies don't allow you to have the warranty if you aren't the original owner)

Which is why you saved money buying it off of ebay, don't hate RIM, their warranty policy is longer than Android and Iphone I believe
    06-06-12 11:43 PM
    SOrry but RIM is not great for a warranty for the original buyer!
    06-07-12 05:35 AM
    Sorry that the seller lied to you. Don't trust ebay for big purchases. It could have also been stolen, you took the risk, so you've got a damaged scuffed blackberry now.

No warranty either, sorry man. Don't hate on RIM, it is YOUR fault for buying it from a dishonest seller. If it hasn't gone past the 45 day, submit a dispute with paypal to get your money back and return the 9900 to the dishonest seller.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    06-07-12 05:44 AM
    yea this situation is sad, but there isnt much you can do. I bought my 9900 on craigslist for $320 like 6 months ago (I'm a good haggler), and use it on a tmo employee plan for a company for which I am no longer employed. i cant call cust. service... so no warranty options. Over the past couple of weeks, My zero key sometimes sticks... but i just ignore it because i know there is nothing I can do about it.

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-07-12 06:17 AM
    That's so sad. The zero key is so important!
    Let's not start bashing RIM nor AT&T....the customer service rep did give you an option to get warranty on that phone.
    I'd be grateful for that!
    But warranty is warranty. You could try a third party warranty like SquareTrade or another.
    "Caveat emptor"
    Last edited by GeoK; 06-07-12 at 09:31 AM.
    06-07-12 09:28 AM
    That's so sad. The zero key is so important!

tell me about it! never noticed how many phone numbers had zeros in them!

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-07-12 03:13 PM
    Which is why you saved money buying it off of ebay, don't hate RIM, their warranty policy is longer than Android and Iphone I believe
    All mobile phones come with a 1 yr manufacturer's warranty regardless of what kind of phone it is.

Also take into consideration if you were to purchase an AT&T device in the US that's never been activated, and activate it on T-Mobile, neither AT&T, T-Mobile, or RIM will honor a 1 year warranty. In order for the warranty to be valid you need to get the device from a carrier store or authorized retailer and have it activated on the network of branding. If you bring an unlocked device to a carrier they have no way of knowing what (if anything) has also been altered that could affect the operation of the device, and therefore will not be liable for any issue that happens to the device. You can't insure an unlocked device from a different carrier for this same reason. I believe this also applies to 3rd party warranty programs such as SquareTrade, etc.
    06-07-12 07:58 PM
    anuone here thinks that i have to dhip the phone to Miami, FL and ask service on att and then try warranty?
    06-07-12 10:13 PM
    I hear what the OP is saying, and it's not just RIM that only honors an original owner's warranty...it's most other tech companies. The Ford example, however - is not a good example because with vehicles, warranties ARE transferable. I am of the opinion that if a product has an in-service date within the original warranty period, then that manufacturer should honor that warranty. Period. I don't care whether it's RIM, Apple, Ford, GM, Samsung, or whatever.

The problem is that as consumers, we don't speak up and fight those idiotic policies...we simply shrug, complain, and eventually suck it up.

In this case, even if the owner previous to the OP had paid full price, the warranty is still not transferable.

It simply sucks.
    06-08-12 01:16 AM
    so, I bought the 9900 from ATT beacuse is the same band as my operetor uses in my country, where can i oreder a Blackberry (in USA) to use the same band as ATT and with warranty? I believe is near impossible.
    06-08-12 12:14 PM
    so, I bought the 9900 from ATT beacuse is the same band as my operetor uses in my country, where can i oreder a Blackberry (in USA) to use the same band as ATT and with warranty? I believe is near impossible.
    In order to get it with a warranty, you have to get it through the carrier. In order to get it for a decent price you need to sign a contract. If you buy it outright, get it unlocked, and activate it on your own carrier, I believe that it voids the warranty because it's not original equipment from your carrier.
    06-08-12 02:31 PM
    The OPs carrier has no obligation to warranty the device if they did not sell it, nor does the actual carrier have any obligation to warranty the device if the OP does not have an active account with them.
    06-08-12 05:38 PM
    The providers got all this sewed up good and tight!
    You need to buy their phone, on their system. Then they can honor the warrenty.

The third party warranty companies can help if you buy their warranty.
    06-08-12 06:56 PM
    The only warranty I have found that works is purchasing the phone (subsidized or not) with my VISA Avion card, and it doubles the manufacturer's warranty. No need to deal with the carrier.
    06-08-12 07:30 PM
    How long ago did you purchase the phone? With eBay I'm sure they have a certain amount of time in which you can return it. If the item wasn't as described, and it arrived broken, you can also put a strike on the seller.
    06-08-12 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD