All,

So I'm testing the Playbook for a possible company wide deployment (about 100 people.) We are using BESx 5.0.3.41, Verizon Wireless service (Internet access, but not tethering package,) and a variety of BB smartphones (Mine is a Bold 9650.)

I've been testing the Playbooks with Blackberry Bridge 1.0 and I was able to use the phone's Internet access via the Bridge browser. Since Bridge 2.0, I lost the Bridge browser icon and I cannot use the phone's Internet access in the normal Playbook browser. I get a message that reads,

"Your wireless service provider does not support sharing your BlackBerry smartphone's internet connection with this tablet..."

I could understand this message since our plans do not include the tethering package, but it looks like the tethering package is not required if you use Bridge 1.0.

I've read in a couple other forums that the Bridge browser icon should be present if you are connecting to a BES server.

Does anyone know anything about this?
    06-05-12 02:15 PM
    My phone is on my employers BES servers, but my PB isn't on the network at all. I'm currently running Bridge 2.0.0.30 and can use the browser link to get around (not the Bridge Browser, just the plain ol playbook browser).

I could do this on 2.0.1 and I can also do this running the 2.1 Beta.
    06-05-12 03:12 PM
    My phone is on my employers BES servers, but my PB isn't on the network at all. I'm currently running Bridge 2.0.0.30 and can use the browser link to get around (not the Bridge Browser, just the plain ol playbook browser).

I could do this on 2.0.1 and I can also do this running the 2.1 Beta.
    I am running the same as MountainProud. Get out on BT from Torch 9850 from VZW.
    2.01 on Playbook.

Question: What OS are you running on the phones? I back reved to the original OS (7.0) on my phone has all of a sudden I had some issues with battery life (due to hotspot feature pushed in 7.1?). and a couple of times I could not bridge out to the interwebs a few times.

Now all be happy.

You also might try the Bridge downloads from RROYY.com. This is a big issue with ATT, and I suspect that the other carriers are going to be looking at "blocking" bridge, without setting up the Teather function, why? so they can charge for it as almost a completly separate data plan. Almost 20 bucks!!!

A dart throw in the dark.

C
    06-05-12 03:48 PM
    I'm running OS 6 on my phone. I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it still didn't help. Sounds more like this is an issue on my phone since y'all can do it.
    06-05-12 04:06 PM
    Try un paring the playbook and your 9650. Delete the devices entries from each. Delete bridge from your phone. Reboot your phone. Download bridge again and install on your phone. Than re par the playbook to the phone.
    I used a 9650 up until March with no problems.
    06-05-12 05:00 PM
    All,

So I'm testing the Playbook for a possible company wide deployment (about 100 people.) We are using BESx 5.0.3.41, Verizon Wireless service (Internet access, but not tethering package,) and a variety of BB smartphones (Mine is a Bold 9650.)

I've been testing the Playbooks with Blackberry Bridge 1.0 and I was able to use the phone's Internet access via the Bridge browser. Since Bridge 2.0, I lost the Bridge browser icon and I cannot use the phone's Internet access in the normal Playbook browser. I get a message that reads,

"Your wireless service provider does not support sharing your BlackBerry smartphone's internet connection with this tablet..."

I could understand this message since our plans do not include the tethering package, but it looks like the tethering package is not required if you use Bridge 1.0.
    I am also running the newest version of Bridge and BESX 5.0.3, and use Verizon for my cell carrier. I have experienced no changes in how Bridge works before or after the Bridge upgrade; I can still surf the internet over my phone's cell connection when not connected to Wifi.

I've read in a couple other forums that the Bridge browser icon should be present if you are connecting to a BES server.
    That is correct. As of OS 2.0, the "regular" browser was updated so that it detects whether a Wifi connection is available, and intelligently connects over Wifi if it's there, only failing over to Bridge if there is no live Wifi connection. So for non-corporate users, there was no longer any need for the Bridge Browser, and it was removed from the desktop. Corporate users still have a Bridge Browser icon, however, to allow access to corporate intranet resources.

Try un paring the playbook and your 9650. Delete the devices entries from each. Delete bridge from your phone. Reboot your phone. Download bridge again and install on your phone. Than re par the playbook to the phone.
    I used a 9650 up until March with no problems.
    I heartily agree. What you are seeing must be a glitch.
    06-05-12 05:43 PM
    Thanks. So far I have security wiped the phone and PB, deleted and re-created my account in BESX, re-paired, and still the same error. "Your wireless service provider does not support sharing your Blackberry smartphone's internet connection with this tablet. You can use your Blackberry smartphone to view the page."
    06-05-12 06:38 PM
    Thanks. So far I have security wiped the phone and PB, deleted and re-created my account in BESX, re-paired, and still the same error. "Your wireless service provider does not support sharing your Blackberry smartphone's internet connection with this tablet. You can use your Blackberry smartphone to view the page."
    Sounds to me like your service provider has locked it down, has your company made a change with the service provider?

They may have made a change to your account with out letting you know.
    06-05-12 06:53 PM
    I don't know if rroyy has the old version on his site but if he does you could install it and see if it still works.

Just looked and he does.
    RROYY - BlackBerry Bridge
    06-05-12 08:58 PM
    I wonder if the new limited data plans that Verizon is forcing on new customers may actually be implementing the same magic detection of Bridge that AT&T is supposed to have in place? Is your VZW data plan unlimited, or is it a new one?
    06-05-12 09:02 PM
    I wonder if there is a BES security setting that got changed. I have no problems on VZW using the bridge browser.
    06-06-12 07:15 AM
    We are not on unlimited. Verizon moved us to 2GB and 4GB plans I think at the beginning of the year.

Thing is, my co-worker has the same plan and same phone as me (and same BESx server,) but he is using Bridge 1.0. The Bridge browser works for him and others in the company.

I'm wondering about BESx too. I'm using the default IT policy, I just checked it and everything is set to default. I don't see anything in the policy that would relate to this either. Plus I wiped my phone and re-setup my BESx account- which should re-apply policy.

We have a few PBs in the closet so I tried a new on last night, today I'm still getting the same thing.

I wish I could get a copy of Bridge 1.0. Sounds like most of you upgraded from 1.0 to 2.0, where I went straight to 2.0. I will try RROYY.com on mine, but I'd rather find a "standard" solution for a company deployment.

Thanks for all your feedback.
    06-06-12 10:12 AM
    RROYY - BlackBerry Bridge

Every version of the bridge app.
    06-06-12 10:18 AM
    awesome. I'm going to do some testing...
    06-06-12 10:31 AM
    awesome. I'm going to do some testing...
    Please report back if you can confirm that this is either a Bridge issue or a VZW issue.
    06-06-12 11:30 AM
    Well, this is what I did:

Uninstalled BB Bridge 2.0 - > Installed RROYY Bridge 1.0 This worked. I could use the phones Internet via Bridge browser.

Tried to install BB Bridge 2.0, and it failed. Uninstalled RROYY 1.0 and then installed BB Bridge 2.0 successfully. Same results as before, could not browse the Internet via normal browser and received message about service provider not supporting sharing of Internet connection.

Uninstalled BB Bridge 2.0 and installed RROYY Bridge 2.0. This works. I can browse the Internet via Bridge browser and normal browser.

I'm not sure what this testing indicates, but I'll see what happens when I deploy some other PBs and pair them with other user phones.

That rroyy.com site is pretty awesome.
    kbz1960 and glassofpinot like this.
    06-06-12 12:16 PM
    Well, this is what I did:

Uninstalled BB Bridge 2.0 - > Installed RROYY Bridge 1.0 This worked. I could use the phones Internet via Bridge browser.

Tried to install BB Bridge 2.0, and it failed. Uninstalled RROYY 1.0 and then installed BB Bridge 2.0 successfully. Same results as before, could not browse the Internet via normal browser and received message about service provider not supporting sharing of Internet connection.

Uninstalled BB Bridge 2.0 and installed RROYY Bridge 2.0. This works. I can browse the Internet via Bridge browser and normal browser.

I'm not sure what this testing indicates, but I'll see what happens when I deploy some other PBs and pair them with other user phones.

That rroyy.com site is pretty awesome.
    Speaking of rroyy I need to make a donation.
    06-06-12 12:59 PM
    Anyone think it could be an OS 6 vs 7 issue?
    I am fine on mine with OS7 (the Bridge Browser appearing and working), and the OP is running OS6.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 06-08-12 at 12:30 AM.
    06-06-12 09:22 PM
    I will probably be able to test more tomorrow when the pb and I will be away from wifi as will my 9930.

I did use Bridge the other day when my dsl was down for about 6 hours. I played a few rounds of Words w/Friends using Bridge, logged on here, to CB and tried seeing why my dsl was down! Read the new in SimpleBrowser+. I did not get any intercept or other message from Verizon but maybe things changed since Sunday.
    06-07-12 12:14 AM
    OK guys, so I'm having the same issue after upgrading to the most recent version BB Bridge on my Bold 9700 using T-Mobile. It seems these #@?!#* have now taken control of data or Internet access and usage to the wireless providers, probably at their request! Man, what's wrong with these BB ppl, don't they see they are even further hindering their Playbook followers?!?! This was one of the best features of the BB Bridge, automatic tethering through your data provider. Well I'm also going to uninstall BB bridge 2.0.0.30 and back to 2.0.0.26 through the rroyy Site. Let's see what happens...
    06-10-12 10:13 PM
    The results are in... I uninstalled BB Bridge 2.0.0.30 from my Bold 9700, rebooted, downloaded BB Bridge 2.0.0.25 for BB 6.0 from the Rroyy.Com Site through my phone's browser and installed.

Aaaaaannd... IT WORKS! I can once again access the Internet automatically when my BB Bridge is paired btwn my Playbook and Bold 9700. (so it means I am no longer receiving that service provider error message through my Playbook browser when using BB Bridge to access the Internet through my phone's T-Mobile data service).

At this time, I'd like to say I'm extremely upset and disappointed at RIM for this horrible handicap in the most recent and future versions of BB Bridge. RIM, if your reading this, you are about to lose yet another good BlackBerry follower and enthusiast. I truly hope this is just a glitch with BB Bridges most recent version and won't exist in the next "corrected" upgrade....

Anyone else please chime in....
    06-10-12 10:32 PM
    Update: I got a new Curve (OS 7) on the company Verizon plan and paired it with a new Playbook. I had no issues with Internet access using the native Blackberry Bridge 2.0 and standard browser. Whatever this issue is it looks like it may be specific to OS 6 and Bridge 2.0.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    06-13-12 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD