The new Facebook videochat service Airtime seems to work! Can anyone confirm?
    spike12 likes this.
    06-05-12 12:57 PM
    Alex Kinsella confirms on twitter that it works.

Is the videochat nightmare over?

Http://twitpic.com/9t4wv9?
    06-05-12 01:11 PM
    I was able to sign into the Airtime application on FaceBook and display a list of friends. But I was not able to test the audio-video transmission because no one was online. But I proved it does run within the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser.
    06-05-12 01:25 PM
    From the Airtime website FAQ: "Airtime currently does not support mobile devices or tablet computers."

Airtime works with the BlackBerry PlayBook as I have confirmed. Maybe Alex should let Airtime know...then again they might decide to block the BlackBerry PlayBook like a few other organizations.
    06-05-12 01:43 PM
    From the Airtime website FAQ: "Airtime currently does not support mobile devices or tablet computers."

Airtime works with the BlackBerry PlayBook as I have confirmed. Maybe Alex should let Airtime know...then again they might decide to block the BlackBerry PlayBook like a few other organizations.
    DON'T SAY A WORD! that's how we lost hulu!
    06-05-12 02:31 PM
    I got the front camera working within airtime, but also, no friends online.
    06-05-12 03:17 PM
    I got the front camera working within airtime, but also, no friends online.
    You can leave a video message for anyone of they are not available.
    06-05-12 04:24 PM
    After watching the promo video on their site I'm a little concerned this will be just as scary as Chat Roulette. Anonymous people can start chatting with you? I hope there's a filter to limit that. Aside from the threat of seeing random peoples "junk" it could be interesting.

How is the performance of this app on our playbooks? Is there lag? What is the audio quality?
    06-05-12 04:39 PM
    06-05-12 10:56 PM
    Looks very promising, the web camera works but none of my friends was online to test it. I will test it tomorrow for sure.
    06-05-12 10:59 PM
    This is pretty awesome...just got it working...hopefully airtime won't shut us down like Hulu...
    06-06-12 12:05 AM
    The only problem with Airtime is that is doesn't help you meet new people. Also is useless if your friends are not on Facebook, or people you want to meet don't have a Facebook account.

How about Airtime allow people to login/signup without a Facebook account?
    06-06-12 12:52 PM
    It works !!! I just tried it. Everybody in my family has a facebook account, so, it works for me.
    06-06-12 03:10 PM
    when i try to login .i get a stupid message to allow the camera..when i allow it and press close..it keeps poppin up again and again
    06-06-12 04:22 PM
    when i try to login .i get a stupid message to allow the camera..when i allow it and press close..it keeps poppin up again and again
    I had the same thing but somehow got past it.
    06-06-12 06:37 PM
    Guess no one read the article you linked.... They record your video calls , but won't look at the recordings unless someone reports you for showing your junk
    06-06-12 06:46 PM
    Today, a new era in video chat launched with Airtime, AKA, Facebook connected Chatroulette without gross dicks. Sean Parker and Shawn Fanning promised us no dicks, but how exactly can they promise us no dicks? Turns out Airtime is recording you�and if you're flashing your , it's recording that, too.

Maybe we should've known that, as with Facebook, privacy concerns would arise sooner or later from the new startup. By linking the account to your Facebook account, all of the anonymizing fun of Chatroulette is suddenly gone. Bad because parts of your identity will be known, but good because, well, considerably fewer dicks�and the company really wants to make sure it stays that way. That's why they want to record your information, at least according to the company's privacy policy. Check out this excerpt taken from section 3, How is my information stored?:

Airtime provides a place for social interaction via live video and text chat and it provides you with the opportunity to create, submit, post, display, transmit, perform, publish, distribute or broadcast ("Post") User Content. Any User Content you Post is subject to the guidelines provided in our Terms of Use and you should note that we reserve the right to report any potentially illegal behavior on our Service to the authorities. By using our Service, you are consenting to have your image and conversations recorded by Airtime. Airtime is taking snapshots of User Content may review User Content to maintain site safety and ensure a good user experience.

And how long is that information stored? Forever.

In theory if you're never mischevious, and nobody ever reports you, Airtime may never review what you've been doing with the service. But still, it's stored somewhere. That's pretty creepy for a company trying to keep people from doing creepy things. [Airtime via Business Insider]
    06-06-12 07:07 PM
    Works well! Just had a 35min video chat with my sister in TO!
    06-06-12 10:11 PM
    Am I missing something? When I try to launch airtime from its site on the playbook browser it just closes the browser.
    06-27-12 01:03 AM
    Where can I find this feature on Facebook? If it works I'd be very delighted.
    06-27-12 04:12 AM
    Am I missing something? When I try to launch airtime from its site on the playbook browser it just closes the browser.
    Yeah the same happens to mine for some reason!! Don't know what's lead it to crash the browser on a few PBs only.
    08-11-12 12:50 PM
    Yeah the same happens to mine for some reason!! Don't know what's lead it to crash the browser on a few PBs only.
    Try clearing the cache in the browser.
    08-11-12 01:46 PM
    for me it was not any better than imo.im....too sluggish on my pb actually.

have u guys tried imo.im....

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-11-12 02:45 PM
    Grr I was super exited about this till I found out that they were recording me......The funny/sad thing is that when I heard what facebook was doing I wasn't suprised
    08-11-12 09:01 PM
    Grr I was super exited about this till I found out that they were recording me......The funny/sad thing is that when I heard what facebook was doing I wasn't suprised
    It is an app that runs off your Facebook. Not from Facebook. But it would be good to stop teens from doing stupid things on cam.
    08-11-12 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD