The screen on my Bold 9780 broke a few weeks ago, and the phone has been rendered useless.
    However, I'm finding it very difficult to part with the phone! I've been reduced to using a Sony Ericsson W810i for the time being.
    My contract is up for an upgrade in 3 months' time, so I dont want to purchase another phone.

Im thinking about replacing the screen myself.
    Is this possible? is it a sensible plan?

Has anyone here replaced the screen on a Bold 9780?

Any help or guidance would be really great!

Ive found spare screens on ebay going at approx �20 - �25.

Thanks for any input!!
    06-05-12 10:23 AM
    First make sure you have the proper lcd screen replacement number and dont purchase from CHINA you`ll be sorry...you need the right tools as well T5 +T6 screw drivers and a plastic pry tool also locate how to disassemble 9700 series blackberry on YOUTUBE.
    Its very easy to do.
    It will show you everything..Good luck
    bitemarx likes this.
    06-05-12 10:53 AM
    Thank you for your reply!
    I have, indeed, found the video on YouTube.

However, how can I find the screen replacement number? And the tools that you mention: are they available on eBay too?
    06-05-12 01:47 PM
    Hey... it was an easy job to replace the LCD. I just did it a few weeks ago.

Only problems was I had to take out the old LCD to see which model I had. Not a tough job but meant I had to order the tools first and then the LCD after.

I'm sure you can pop to a a phone repair shop and give them a few quid to take the LCD out... or buy the screwdriver from them.

The screen on ebay cost me �16 btw.
    bitemarx likes this.
    06-05-12 01:58 PM
    The tools arrived this morning; I've managed to carefully take apart the Bold 9780.
    The screen has the following on the back:

"LCD-2 3269-001/111"

I've found a match on eBay for a replacement screen with the number "001/111".

Just wanted to confirm that these numbers are all that need to match....please let me know if I'm missing any other details, before I place the order for a replacement screen on eBay!

Thanks!
    M
    06-08-12 05:18 AM
    The tools arrived this morning; I've managed to carefully take apart the Bold 9780.
    The screen has the following on the back:

"LCD-2 3269-001/111"

I've found a match on eBay for a replacement screen with the number "001/111".

Just wanted to confirm that these numbers are all that need to match....please let me know if I'm missing any other details, before I place the order for a replacement screen on eBay!

Thanks!
    M

ROFL, dunno whether they are a match, but just wanted to wish you luck with your "endeavour"!!
    06-08-12 09:09 AM
    Thanks!

I fail to see the humour in it, unfortunately.

06-08-12 09:40 AM
    Thanks!

I fail to see the humour in it, unfortunately.

I was laughing at how you are going about the process! Open the bb first and then order a correct replacement part! What lengths RIM goes to hide important info!! :P Not laughing at your misfortune, mate! Honest!
    06-08-12 09:48 AM
    I was laughing at how you are going about the process! Open the bb first and then order a correct replacement part! What lengths RIM goes to hide important info!! :P Not laughing at your misfortune, mate! Honest!
    Yeah, it's a bit tedious.

But I think I'll do anything to stop using my all-show-and-no-go iPhone 4S!
    jmd.aKBar likes this.
    06-08-12 09:53 AM
    Done. New screen works perfectly!
    06-10-12 11:13 AM
    PARTTYYYYY!!!
    06-10-12 11:14 AM
    Which vendor did you use to get your screen? Having a hard time choosing, as some vendors report that the 002/111 screen appropriate for my device will not work with/ OS 6. So I am a little concerned that I may get a bad screen. Don't want impatience to get the better of me, and get a screen that won't work. Does anyone know why one of these would not work across both OS's?
    06-20-12 09:53 AM
    I just ordered a new keyboard for mine from dealsIshop.com
    Shipping from the USA and they carry screens.
    06-21-12 12:56 PM
    06-21-12 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD