Reconnecting to JVM constantly fails! How do I fix this?
    06-05-12 12:41 AM
    I assume you have an OS installed to your PC and have deleted the vendor files?
    If not, do it, then try the loader wipe method of loading an OS.

Backup your apps and data. I personally use the Device Switch from Desktop Manager and extract the cods from the temp directory, but using BBSAK or the BBHTool will work just as well.
    Connect the BlackBerry to the PC, launch loader.exe, do an alt–shift-del reboot on your BlackBerry, and then run loader.exe. This enables the nojvm mode of loader.exe, which assumes your BlackBerry has a corrupted or no OS loaded, wipes everything, and installs fresh from the OS folder.
    06-07-12 12:26 AM
    If uve deleted vendor but it won't connect, it says do u want to retry, disconnect usb and reconnect then click retry
    06-08-12 05:42 PM
    1). Connect your BlackBerry directly to your PC USB port and never via an external USB hub. COnnecting via a hub is an almost guaranteed fail.

2). If the problem persists, uninstall Desktop Manager via the control panel and make sure that you remove all the user profiles. Now reboot your PC. Re-install Desktop Manager.

3). Try again. If the phone is OK and you PC is clear of viruses and malware, the PC should now find the phone using desktop Manager or, better, Loader.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

If the phone still does not connect, please come back here.
    06-09-12 10:53 AM
    1). Connect your BlackBerry directly to your PC USB port and never via an external USB hub. COnnecting via a hub is an almost guaranteed fail.

2). If the problem persists, uninstall Desktop Manager via the control panel and make sure that you remove all the user profiles. Now reboot your PC. Re-install Desktop Manager.

3). Try again. If the phone is OK and you PC is clear of viruses and malware, the PC should now find the phone using desktop Manager or, better, Loader.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

If the phone still does not connect, please come back here.
    I have the same problem as pilot-leo. The thing is my BB9930 suddenly stopped working one night as it was charging (using a wall charger). I had a very common problem. The LED would flash as if to switch on, but would eventually go off, leaving me with a black screen. After months of setting it aside, I finally got around to fixing it about a month ago, and after doing some research, I found an effective (then) method: 1. all I had to do was to connect to USB port; 2. Open DM. 3. Then, click on update when an error message pops up. My 9930 worked all fine and dandy after that.

Then, one day, IT happened AGAIN!
    But, this time, the previous method won't work because it stalls at "reconnecting to jvm"- it just fails ! I have tried all sorts of methods. Some said to disconnect and then re-connect when I get the error message. Some said pull out the battery and re-connect to the usb. I tried ALL of that, but to no avail. D;

Help?
    06-22-12 08:02 PM

I have the same problem as pilot-leo. The thing is my BB9930 suddenly stopped working one night as it was charging (using a wall charger). I had a very common problem. The LED would flash as if to switch on, but would eventually go off, leaving me with a black screen. After months of setting it aside, I finally got around to fixing it about a month ago, and after doing some research, I found an effective (then) method: 1. all I had to do was to connect to USB port; 2. Open DM. 3. Then, click on update when an error message pops up. My 9930 worked all fine and dandy after that.

Then, one day, IT happened AGAIN!
    But, this time, the previous method won't work because it stalls at "reconnecting to jvm"- it just fails ! I have tried all sorts of methods. Some said to disconnect and then re-connect when I get the error message. Some said pull out the battery and re-connect to the usb. I tried ALL of that, but to no avail. D;

Help?
    Get a hold of BB Boss / BBSAK or a similar app & wipe your phone clean.
    06-22-12 09:16 PM
    Get a hold of BB Boss / BBSAK or a similar app & wipe your phone clean.
    The BBASK does not recognize my device. It says it's not connected even though it is. D:
    06-22-12 09:37 PM
    Desktop Manager (DM) can be temperamental. One thing that I have done is to remove DM completely from my PC. remove all the users settings (it's an uninstall option) when you delete it. Also remove any OSs that you have installed. Now re-boot your PC. When you come to re-install DM you should have a clean slate to re-install to.

Once you have installed DM, please connect you phone and make sure that it connects reliably a couple of times. Please only connect your phone directly to your PC and not via an external USB hub (known this to cause problens too).

Having got to the start line , please install whatever OS you wish for your specific phone. http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...-2-2-a-590346/ to shrink the OS as you wish. BB Boss will also remove both copies of Vendor.xml.

Just for fun though I'll give you the locations of both copies so that you can maually check that they are gone.

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\Vendor.xml

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor.xml

Now you should be able to upgrade/reload your OS.

I and many others prefer to use Loader.exe which is installed with DM to do the OS load since this does not connect to the internet and try to download files that you have just carefully removed with BB Boss. Loader.exe may be found at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

If this little procedure does not fix your "cannot connect to JVM" error then it is worth changing the USB cable and trying again and finally, trying all this on another PC (yeah, I know) and if that does not work then you regrettably may have a hardware problem with your phone (hope not).

In any event, please come back here for more free advise that is worth all you pay for it .
    06-23-12 06:06 AM

The BBASK does not recognize my device. It says it's not connected even though it is. D:
    I have to open task manager and kill everything blackberry/rim in there before bbsak works, on win7.
    06-23-12 07:45 AM
    When your loader reads connecting to jvm failed, pull your battery, put it back in and click on continue/retry immediately! Fixed my problem!
    06-23-12 08:04 AM
    It is essential that Dektop Manager works correctly before you try BBSAk or any of the other tools. The reason for this is that DM installs the Windows device drivers for BlackBerry phones. However DM should not be running when you try to use BBSAK otherwise the drivers are trying to simultaneously connect to BBSAK and DM with your phone. That ain't gonna work.

I always try and have the minumum number of things running when I am playing BlackBerry. I find that it just reduces the number of things to go wrong.

I feel that I am a little bit in the dark here as to what is actually wrong.

A while back I wrote a program called CrackUtil http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/. It's a bit old now and you need to follow the install instructions in my first post exactly but when it connects correctly it will show the OS version at the bottom of its panel. If you see this, then it is correctly connected. After that, it works pretty much the same as BBSAK but with fewer options.

I also wrote CrackMem http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/. Again, it is quite old BUT it will display all the Blackberry OSs installed on your PC.

I do not suggest that you use CrackMem for OS shrinking as I stopped developing it with OS5.

I'm not plugging my programs but they are free, virus free and will show some useful info.

I'd really like to know exactly the state of your phone and just what is installed on yoru PC from a BlackBery standpoint.

Why am I asking this?

Normally when I get to this stage with helping someone, progress is made and, this time it is going nowhere. I am therefore concerned that the problem may not be a simple OS failure. It could be a phone hardware fault such as a USB failure. Right now I just don't know but I'd sure like to.
    daintylady likes this.
    06-23-12 08:46 AM
    When your loader reads connecting to jvm failed, pull your battery, put it back in and click on continue/retry immediately! Fixed my problem!
    It is essential that Dektop Manager works correctly before you try BBSAk or any of the other tools. The reason for this is that DM installs the Windows device drivers for BlackBerry phones. However DM should not be running when you try to use BBSAK otherwise the drivers are trying to simultaneously connect to BBSAK and DM with your phone. That ain't gonna work.

I always try and have the minumum number of things running when I am playing BlackBerry. I find that it just reduces the number of things to go wrong.

I feel that I am a little bit in the dark here as to what is actually wrong.

A while back I wrote a program called CrackUtil
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/. It's a bit old now and you need to follow the install instructions in my first post exactly but when it connects correctly it will show the OS version at the bottom of its panel. If you see this, then it is correctly connected. After that, it works pretty much the same as BBSAK but with fewer options.

I also wrote CrackMem
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/. Again, it is quite old BUT it will display all the Blackberry OSs installed on your PC.

I do not suggest that you use CrackMem for OS shrinking as I stopped developing it with OS5.

I'm not plugging my programs but they are free, virus free and will show some useful info.

I'd really like to know exactly the state of your phone and just what is installed on yoru PC from a BlackBery standpoint.

Why am I asking this?

Normally when I get to this stage with helping someone, progress is made and, this time it is going nowhere. I am therefore concerned that the problem may not be a simple OS failure. It could be a phone hardware fault such as a USB failure. Right now I just don't know but I'd sure like to.

Thank you for all the suggestions! All these still didn't work for me! D":

The thing is the SAME thing happened the first time too; I didn't even have to do anything before updating with DM the first time round, and it worked like a charm. So, I am clueless as to why it isn't working this time.

Also, I was wondering if it will work if I charged just the battery alone with a battery charger (which I will have to buy).. and then, try all over again. I have a hunch that this might work? Because, sometimes, the BB device shows a battery symbol with a yellow lightning bolt in the middle, which just means it's completely drained, doesn't it?

Pete6, well, the thing is I deleted the OS loader files, trying to fix this 9930 in the last 24hrs.
    06-23-12 04:18 PM
    Thank you for all the suggestions! All these still didn't work for me! D":

The thing is the SAME thing happened the first time too; I didn't even have to do anything before updating with DM the first time round, and it worked like a charm. So, I am clueless as to why it isn't working this time.
    Not sure what's going on here. However, we will find it. Its only a phone, after all.

Also, I was wondering if it will work if I charged just the battery alone with a battery charger (which I will have to buy).. and then, try all over again. I have a hunch that this might work? Because, sometimes, the BB device shows a battery symbol with a yellow lightning bolt in the middle, which just means it's completely drained, doesn't it?

This sounds like the battery either needs charging or, it has a problem. The phone might charge from your PC's USB port. Then again, it might not because the phone may want more power than your USB port will deliver. Try this. Switch the phone off by holding down the red button (call hangup) on the right of the phone. Connect the phone to your PC. If charging works, you will see the LED on the fromt of the phone flash about once every 2 seconds. The color will be greeny-yelllow. If the battery is really very flat this may take half an hour or so to start. However is this is the case you wil see a large battery symbol on the screen with a red bar diagonally through it. Even this may take time to appear is there really is no juice in your BlackBerry. Sorry, terrible pun.

Pete6, well, the thing is I deleted the OS loader files, trying to fix this 9930 in the last 24hrs.

Ooops. No worry, just re-install DM and you'll get a new one .

I am worried that something is wrong with this phone.

Can you get hold of a spare battery. Ask the folk on the phone shop nicely. Sometimes they will help.
    daintylady likes this.
    06-23-12 04:37 PM
    Hi, Pete6, thank you for the prompt reply.

It looks like it is indeed a case of a flat battery. It charges via neither the USB nor the wall charger. In the first place, the problem arose from the time its battery was extremely weak- about only 20% left on it.

I have attached the picture of the screen that appears just sometimes if it feels like it and disappears just as suddenly as it appeared. I was "lucky" enough that I was able to open my camera app and take a pictue of it.
    06-23-12 05:02 PM
    i just want share my experience. i encounter Reconnecting to JVM when its loading the 3rd option in loader.exe. Are you stuck on that window? i already tried disconnecting the usb cable, taken out the battery and it just fails. I spent the whole day uninstalling and reinstall the DM and os and my phone same issue. i have delete entries the regedit all research in motion folder. after i have installed the DM i restart the PC, download and install the OS and restart PC, delete vendor.xml and run loader.exe and got stuck again on reconnectiong to JVM and when i disconnect the cable it continue but will failed on the next window. i already gave up that night to continue the next day since it got stuck again on Reconnecting to JVM on the 3rd step in loader.exe. I leave that window open and fell asleep and when i woke this morning the loader.exe shows i can now install the OS 7.1 i just connected the usb cable and continue with the update and followed the promts. im now running 7.1.. cheers..
    06-23-12 06:16 PM
    i just want share my experience. i encounter Reconnecting to JVM when its loading the 3rd option in loader.exe. Are you stuck on that window? i already tried disconnecting the usb cable, taken out the battery and it just fails. I spent the whole day uninstalling and reinstall the DM and os and my phone same issue. i have delete entries the regedit all research in motion folder. after i have installed the DM i restart the PC, download and install the OS and restart PC, delete vendor.xml and run loader.exe and got stuck again on reconnectiong to JVM and when i disconnect the cable it continue but will failed on the next window. i already gave up that night to continue the next day since it got stuck again on Reconnecting to JVM on the 3rd step in loader.exe. I leave that window open and fell asleep and when i woke this morning the loader.exe shows i can now install the OS 7.1 i just connected the usb cable and continue with the update and followed the promts. im now running 7.1.. cheers..
    I am sorry, but what exactly do you mean?
    I don't know what you mean by the 3rd step..
    06-23-12 06:24 PM
    Hi, Pete6, thank you for the prompt reply.

It looks like it is indeed a case of a flat battery. It charges via neither the USB nor the wall charger. In the first place, the problem arose from the time its battery was extremely weak- about only 20% left on it.

I have attached the picture of the screen that appears just sometimes if it feels like it and disappears just as suddenly as it appeared. I was "lucky" enough that I was able to open my camera app and take a pictue of it.
    Click to view quoted image

This image means that the battery is not charged enough to run the phone. This can only be for two reasons.

1). The battery is dead and needs replacing.

2). The battery is completely discharged and needs charging.

#2 can be easily fixed by charging. By far the best way to charge any BlackBerry is to use the original BlackBerry wall charger. This provides enough power to correctly anfd fully charge the battery. A USB port will sometimes charge an 9810. My Dell Studio laptop charges mine just fine. A USB port specification allows for 500mA (whatever, it's a number). The Blackberry charger provides 700mA (right, more) and some PCs and laptops will stick to the specification and just won't give out enough power for a charge. If yours works, that's just fine.

I outlined how to switch off the phone via the red button and what happens with the LED when charging. I forgot to say that when the phon eis fully charged, the LED will cease flashing and will light up solid green.

I think that it is likely that you have a dead battery but, I cannot be sure. Can you please tell me what the charge state is after last night. Thanks.
    daintylady likes this.
    06-24-12 02:14 AM
    Well, the thing is.. that symbol appears just sometimes, and then it disappears, and the device disconnects from the laptop, so there isn't any charging done via the USB charger. It's the same with the wall charger too. I think it was the day before yesterday, I left the 9930 connected to the wall charger overnight- even then, the next morning, it wouldn't boot up. I really don't know what else I can do.

O, and I bought one extra battery for it sometime ago... So, I have two completely flat batteries. I am hoping to solve this issue with an external battery charger. Do you think that will work?
    Last edited by daintylady; 06-24-12 at 01:28 PM.
    06-24-12 01:25 PM
    Well, the thing is.. that symbol appears just sometimes, and then it disappears, and the device disconnects from the laptop, so there isn't any charging done via the USB charger. It's the same with the wall charger too. I think it was the day before yesterday, I left the 9930 connected to the wall charger overnight- even then, the next morning, it wouldn't boot up. I really don't know what else I can do.

O, and I bought one extra battery for it sometime ago... So, I have two completely flat batteries. I am hoping to solve this issue with an external battery charger. Do you think that will work?
    It should do. Make sure that you get a charger that provides 700mA at 5Volts. This is more than a normal USB at 500mA at 5Volts. If you live in the UK here's one GENUINE MAINS WALL PLUG CHARGER MICRO FOR BLACKBERRY 9800 9810 9860 TORCH | eBay

If the battery in the phone is good AND the charger is good AND the charging circuit in the phone is good (it probably is) then the battery will charge.

One thing, since your phone now works (nice to say that). When you connect it to your PC, do you see a little lightning bolt across the battery symbol on the screen? If so, then the phone is charging.

If this is not present then it is not.
    daintylady likes this.
    06-24-12 01:40 PM
    Hi, I also had the same issue yesterday.
    Came across this post and try the "take off battery, put it on again, then immediately click retry". It's not working and I tried several times.
    My logical thinking was the phone need some power in order to have the JVM connected.
    The problem is when you put in the battery, it will just take 1-2 seconds to bleep the red light and off again. I try several times to click "retry" fast enough before the red light turns off after I put on the battery, but it's just no luck.
    Desperately I try to disconnect the USB cable (the loader still running in my notebook with the error connecting JVM pop up), take off the battery, then plug the USB cable (this way my phone red light will turn on and last longer, at that time immediately click retry, then put the battery in again. Miraculously the JVM successfully connected and proceed with the next step of the loader.exe (copy the new ROM inside my blackberry).

I'm using 9810, just have it for two days.
    This problem suddenly came out after I do alt-caps-del reset.
    My battery was about at 20% capacity.
    This is not a regular nuked problem. When I installed the battery, the red light turns on for 1-2 second, then nothing happen, the screen is off (just black).
    My suggestion, as I cannot repeat this process (and I hope it won't happen again), please do not close the loader.exe and give up to soon. Try a combination of plug-unplug the usb cable and the battery while trying to press retry on the JVM pop up error.

Good luck guys...
    06-24-12 07:12 PM
    It should do. Make sure that you get a charger that provides 700mA at 5Volts. This is more than a normal USB at 500mA at 5Volts. If you live in the UK here's one GENUINE MAINS WALL PLUG CHARGER MICRO FOR BLACKBERRY 9800 9810 9860 TORCH | eBay

If the battery in the phone is good AND the charger is good AND the charging circuit in the phone is good (it probably is) then the battery will charge.

One thing, since your phone now works (nice to say that). When you connect it to your PC, do you see a little lightning bolt across the battery symbol on the screen? If so, then the phone is charging.

If this is not present then it is not.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am in the US, but I got one ext. batt charger off Ebay. Fully charged the battery today (which took several hours), but the 9930 still failed to boot up. D:

As I have said before, the battery symbol with a lightning bolt across it appears only rarely. It just comes and goes as it pleases. So, charging the batt via the USB is out. ANDDD... so is the ext. batt method on which I had pinned such high hopes. D:

Hi, I also had the same issue yesterday.
    Came across this post and try the "take off battery, put it on again, then immediately click retry". It's not working and I tried several times.
    My logical thinking was the phone need some power in order to have the JVM connected.
    The problem is when you put in the battery, it will just take 1-2 seconds to bleep the red light and off again. I try several times to click "retry" fast enough before the red light turns off after I put on the battery, but it's just no luck.
    Desperately I try to disconnect the USB cable (the loader still running in my notebook with the error connecting JVM pop up), take off the battery, then plug the USB cable (this way my phone red light will turn on and last longer, at that time immediately click retry, then put the battery in again. Miraculously the JVM successfully connected and proceed with the next step of the loader.exe (copy the new ROM inside my blackberry).

I'm using 9810, just have it for two days.
    This problem suddenly came out after I do alt-caps-del reset.
    My battery was about at 20% capacity.
    This is not a regular nuked problem. When I installed the battery, the red light turns on for 1-2 second, then nothing happen, the screen is off (just black).
    My suggestion, as I cannot repeat this process (and I hope it won't happen again), please do not close the loader.exe and give up to soon. Try a combination of plug-unplug the usb cable and the battery while trying to press retry on the JVM pop up error.

Good luck guys...
    Hey, thank you! You are so lucky that this method worked for you. Well, the thing is, the first time this happened to me, all I had to do was update my OS, and everything proceeded without a single glitch- no reconnecting to JVM error. However, it seems to be making up to me for the lack of problems I had the first time round. O well.. Idk what I am to do now. I have tried every single method suggested in forums. It looks like certain methods work for some, and some other method for other folks. ..

Last edited by daintylady; 06-29-12 at 12:05 AM.
    06-28-12 11:58 PM
    Hey, thank you! You are so lucky that this method worked for you. Well, the thing is, the first time this happened to me, all I had to do was update my OS, and everything proceeded without a single glitch- no reconnecting to JVM error. However, it seems to be making up to me for the lack of problems I had the first time round. O well.. Idk what I am to do now. I have tried every single method suggested in forums. It looks like certain methods work for some, and some other method for other folks. ..
    Like you I do not know what to suggest right now. If you have the option, I think that you should take you phone back to where you got it. If it was supplied by a carrier, I would ask for a replacement. The phone is clearly still under warranty so even if you bought it used, RIM will stiil honor their warranty regardless of the carrier.

Just a tiny thought, have you tried using a different USB cable and maybe a different PC?

It is so hard to diagnose these faults at distance and whilst this is frustrating for you, I too feel that I should be able to do more.
    06-29-12 06:04 AM
    Like you I do not know what to suggest right now. If you have the option, I think that you should take you phone back to where you got it. If it was supplied by a carrier, I would ask for a replacement. The phone is clearly still under warranty so even if you bought it used, RIM will stiil honor their warranty regardless of the carrier.

Just a tiny thought, have you tried using a different USB cable and maybe a different PC?

It is so hard to diagnose these faults at distance and whilst this is frustrating for you, I too feel that I should be able to do more.

Hi, I have been told that my phone is no longer under warranty since I bought it off eBay.

I have 2 USB cables, and I tried with both. After seeing your message, I tried the whole process on a friend's laptop... which failed on me too.

Someone else suggested doing this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/las...ed-led-442737/
    What do you think? I see some hope in that... BUT, I don't know how to get to the battery I am supposed to remove. What black sticker is he talking about?

06-29-12 08:26 PM

Hi, I have been told that my phone is no longer under warranty since I bought it off eBay.

I have 2 USB cables, and I tried with both. After seeing your message, I tried the whole process on a friend's laptop... which failed on me too.

Someone else suggested doing this: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/las...ed-led-442737/
    What do you think? I see some hope in that... BUT, I don't know how to get to the battery I am supposed to remove. What black sticker is he talking about?

This does now look like there may be a problem with your phone. I am sorry.

There are a few places where you might get it repaired.

RIM offers a repair service but I am not sure if the warranty will work with your phone. Give them a call an see what they say.

I have used these people http://www.pdarw.com/ They are fast and good but were not that cheap.

We could try and see if there is a CrackBerry member near where you are located. I'm in the UK so I can't help. With 3 million members there has to be someone nearby who could perhaps have a look. Obviously one must be careful doing this but common sense will dictate what to do here. Maybe you could post it to someone.

Writing to Adam Zeis or Bla1ze might get you a blogspot entry here and maybe someone will volunteer to look at your phone. This could be done by post and would be public so the recient would be known.

Sell the phone on ebay as not working for spares. I have sold phones like this. and have gottten reasonable money for such devices.

If you bought the phone on ebay, start a dispute with the seller. Ebay will return your money if they find in your favor. I have done this and have, so far, won every case.

I really do not know what else to suggest. I am so sorry we could not fix this BUT one of the routes above should yield some sort of solution.

Please stay in touch and PM me if you think I can help.
    06-30-12 04:23 AM
    I think I can't still open a case with the seller since I have had it since March, can I?
    06-30-12 12:26 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD