With the first BB 10 device being full touchscreen and several people stating that they will wait until the keyboard version is released before they make a purchase, it occurred to me that I am not sure that we know what we want from RIM.

Everyone is saying that they have to come with a proper device to compete with Android and iOS (as well, WP7, cause they are fighting us for 3rd place). That they have to nail the full touchscreen device because that is what critics/reviewers are going to be comparing the any BB 10 device to. Ok, I get that. But at the end of the day, those who choose the BB platform for reasons, other than it is what IT gave them, did not choose it for the touchscreen. We choose it for the keyboard, data compression, OS integration, BBM, data push, etc. Actually, a combination of these things.

There are things we expect a BB to have, things that to us define what a BB is and to the point, if it does not have any of things it is not a BB. Yes, we have app envy, it is ok to admit it and yes, it is very tempting to want to switch. But you have got to think about what made you choose a BB in the first place, what made you stick with it so long.

For me, the success of the BB 10 OS is not how it comes prepares to iOS, Android or WP but how it compares to BB OS Java Edition.

What do we really want? Do we want RIM's version of iOS, Android or WP or do we want an improved BB OS that does the stuff we want it to do. I want everything I have now, no compromises and a more agile OS.

But I am not a power user, I don't want to browse heavily on my phone, do not want to watch movies or play games, I want to call, email, social network, IM people that is what my phone is for. Anything else is extra I don't and won't use.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, what in YOUR eyes, would make this phone a success? And I mean to make you buy it, not what will make the masses buy it.
    05-29-12 11:17 AM
    Interesting question. I think before attempting an answer, a little perspective might be in order. Remember, the vast majority of members here are current BB users, and most of them (us?) lean heavily towards keyboarded phones and the communications-heavy features that BB's excel at. Many, if not most of us are the ones awaiting a QWERTY BB10 phone. And while we believe that RIM cannot abandon this core group of users, I think we all concede that the overwhelming factor that will define the success of BB10 is how well it is accepted by everyone else. In order to do that, it will need to deliver all the things that the market is moving away from BB for -- i.e., big touch screen, great multimedia capabilities, and a bazillion apps. And it needs to do that in a way that isn't iOS or Android.

To put it more concisely, what most of us current BB users want is not what the rest of the smart phone-buying public wants, and not what is going to determine the success of BB10.
    CairnsRock and Harry_III_UK like this.
    05-29-12 11:45 AM
    i want a phone from rimm that provides a great user experience
    05-29-12 11:48 AM
    The problem with "we" is you may get a different answer from each "we" you ask.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    05-29-12 11:49 AM
    I do think it matters how it compares to the other platforms. It's not just current BB users BB10 needs to please...it needs new users, just making the current user base happy isn't going to save RIM from the position it's in. So in many ways, because I like BB so much, I want to see something that appeals to a wide user base...although not as wide android.

But personally, what I'm looking forward to in BB10 is progression from PB OS, so it has more speed and stability, deep integration (send to etc.), beautiful UX, some of the features that are in BBOS like memos etc. There's also things PB OS has dealt with over BBOS like easy OTA updates and app installations.
    05-29-12 11:53 AM
    I've got one. In fact it's the best user experience...for me.
    05-29-12 11:56 AM
    We (Crackberry faithful) are not the key to RIM's success. We are faithful and we love our Blackberries, but we are not a large enough base to hoist RIM out of the hole they find themselves in right now.

I have no data to support this, but my feeling is that we are the majority of users who bought Playbooks and those numbers simply were not enough.

Most users here, when talking about current phones available, rave about the excellent user experience on BB7 phones. But in the general marketplace, BB7 phones are sitting and not selling.

My thoughts on BB10 are that it has to provide the features and integration of BBOS that we love while filling the gaps left by the current BB7 offerrings.

In my mind, it's a given that BB10 phones will have a very slick interface, great multimedia capabilities, and a great browser (once Cascades replaces Adobe Air as the container for the app).

My personal knock on BB7 devices are the mediocre camera on the 99x0 phones, the lack of NFC on 98x0 phones, the smaller battery on all BB7 phones, and the diminished functionality on the new Curves. Outside the world of this forum and BB fans in general, the BB7 devices are not taken seriously.

If BB10 can fill these gaps as well as provide a fluid, consistent, integrated, and fun user experience, people might take a second look. I like the fact that RIM is keeping BBM to itself. If 'leader' users migrate back to BB10, their followers will follow (like they did a few years ago).

I don't think that the initial lack of a physical keyboard will negatively impact RIM. I think that most of us, in the backs of our minds, are beginning to evaluate the options if RIM encounters worst case scenarios. And none of these options involve physical keyboards. As much as we love our keyboards, there is a slight possibility that if we need to switch, a first-class physical keyboard will not be an option. Given this, I think we are all hoping for the best implementation of a touch keyboard and, thus, are more prepared for that eventuality.

If RIM sinks, then our desire for a great keyboard probably won't be realized. If it's easier for RIM to produce a single non-keyboard device, I think that many of us will give it a try. If users on other platforms see BB10 as a cool platform again, then they might return.

So what I want from RIM is a killer user experience with tightly integrated apps (especially with regard to messaging) with some support from major app vendors, a beautiful and responsive screen, and great battery life. If they deliver this, I'll give it a shot. And then, if they follow up with a keyboarded device that rocks, I'd consider jumping to that too.

Being a Sprint customer, however, I anticipate being a spectator for quite a while as I watch what happens on AT&T and Verizon while waiting for the Sprint CDMA version to surface. And also, as a Sprint customer, I'd expect the 'cool' keyboarded variant to be an AT&T phone that I can only drool about. I think it's conceivable that only one BB10 phone will make it to Sprint for quite a while.

And, finally, no matter how cool BB10 phones are, if they don't get carrier support, then I think that all of this is moot. People today generally go to carrier stores with either a specific phone in mind or are just willing to buy whatever is recommended. If BB10 phones are in the back room and not even displayed and/or recommended, then it's all over anyway.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    05-29-12 12:31 PM
    Unfortunately, without APPs it will be difficult for BB10 to be successful. Playbook IMO is the best tablet however, lack of apps killed it.
    05-29-12 12:51 PM
    They need to add a front facing camera, dual processor, 8MP (or higher if possible) rear
    camera and SKYPE!

That's what I want, lol.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    05-29-12 12:57 PM
    I agree that we need new users but they have to be realistic about this. The objective of the launch should not be to get new users but to get back the defectors, get back the ones who left BB for greener pastures. Get people to fall back in love with their BBs because those are harder than new users. They have been burned, they were fed up and they left. For them to come back says something. New users come with a clean slate, they are curious. Old users returning come with a "You better come good or you will never, ever see me again." attitude.

Yes, you have to compare it to the platforms but I don't want them to dilute what "we" love about the platform to make it more generic to appeal to the masses. This is going to sound so full of it but not everyone is a BlackBerry person, not everyone has the particular needs that it satisfies. Before you jump on me about how other platforms do everything and more, there are people who do not want a phone as an all in one device. There are people who want a communication device and that is it. They want to call their mother, email their brother, follow their favourite people on twitter, talk to old friends on facebook and IM their sister. That is all they need and they want.

That is me, I don't want all the bells and whistles, I want a straight to the point phone. That is what BlackBerry is for me, straight to the point, I got stuff to do and this does it.
    05-29-12 01:14 PM
    The problem with "we" is you may get a different answer from each "we" you ask.
    Exactly, but still, today's young teens are using touch screen phones without keyboards, I think that making the first BB10 full touch can't be wrong..
    05-29-12 04:14 PM
    I would like BB10 to be able to do at least everything BBOS can do. I want it to "feel" like a BlackBerry. Right now, the PlayBook OS does not feel right to me. I like it, but I would take BBOS over it any day on a phone.

What we've seen of BB10 looks to fix that. The few, limited demonstrations we've seen of it, it looks to have a BlackBerry flavor that the PlayBook hasn't come close to producing. But I want the functionality of BBOS as well.
    I want sound profiles - I want to be able to change each contacts ring tone AND message sound. This is a core feature to me and drives me nuts not being able to do it without a separate app on Android.

I want Bedside mode. My phone is my alarm, and I want it to wake me up when I set it, not when a friend or family member ends up posting something on my Facebook wall at 3am. But I'd like phone calls to be able to get through in case of an emergency. Again, I want it integrated. I don't want to download a third party app to do it.

I use my phone for more than just communication. I like browsing the web on it, I use it as a music player, take pictures, and keep track of things I need to do on it. All these things I can do on my Android phone. My Galaxy Nexus probably does those better.
    But once I start messaging, or talking on the phone, I miss my Bold dearly.

So that's what I want. I want BB10 to actually BE BlackBerry with upgraded multimedia capabilities.
    I don't know what will make it successful, though. Everyone I know is moving to the iPhone (from Android, I'm the only BlackBerry user I personally know) and they don't do anything on it that they couldn't do with their old phone. They just want it because it's an iPhone. Not sure how RIM can compete with that.

Sent from my Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    05-29-12 05:13 PM
    I'm pretty simple minded eh, all I want from rim is to stay a canadian core company!! My 9900 does everything a phone should and with my playbook it does everything better eh
    05-29-12 05:24 PM
    What do I really want from RIM, and What is Best for RIM are 2 different things

I really want a full featured hardware qwerty device with a robust app development platform, and supported by major app houses so in the event I do need an App it is available
    I want RIM to build a email/calendar/addressbook/task system that is second to NONE in the industry meeting and exceeding every positive bullet point anyone else has, I want a basic CRM system included.

Now what is best for RIM is kinda inline with what I want, but in reality, RIM needs the Android users, RIM needs the iPhone users, RIM needs to be the company you defect TO, not the company you defect from. And to capture the iPhone and Android users in the 18-25 year old demographic chances are you NEED a Full touchscreen as many of them will have gone from a flip phone to a touchscreen phone and have never had the qwerty touch,
    you have far more users who VIEW content rather than create content, and when you're a viewer a big screen is more important, and game devs want big screens for their content, content delivery people want big screens to view the content, RIM needs to meet these needs FIRST,
    They have the qwerty keyboard market locked, no one touches them, they need to break in hard to the rest of the media player market
    bbmme, CairnsRock and Harry_III_UK like this.
    05-29-12 05:25 PM
    ^
    Nicely said, but I still stand by mine eh.
    Go Canada!!
    05-29-12 05:31 PM
    RIM already provides that,

my 9790 has the best user experience for me of any phone available currently.

but that isn't to say I don't want much much more
    05-29-12 05:36 PM
    I like my Bold enough not to have chosen to have gotten an iPhone or Android phone. I want my phone to be great at e-mail, voice clarity, text, calendar, and run a few of my favorite apps and be nice and compact. For me, I do not want a large phone (large screen, etc); then it becomes a media toy which is fine for those who want media toys and fun apps, but I choose to use my computer/tablet for that and not my phone. I keep it in my pocket and smaller is a good thing.
    05-29-12 06:00 PM
    All I really want from RIM in the end is that they stay in business. I don't for one second hope they ever compromise their top-grade security oriented roots. This is my biggest reason for choosing BlackBerry. There are others, and if it were a virtual keyboard or nothing, i'd be semi-miserable but i'd make it. I don't have a use for BBM so i'm not here for any of that. I simply 'trust' BB far more than any other platform. This matters plenty since i'm NOT one of these "it's just a phone" people. My entire life is managed on my device and it is my most essential possession not to mention my best friend. It is imperative I feel safe with my data. So; the moment RIM quits focusing on the unmatched security they have built their devices upon up to now, that's when I really lose faith. Stock numbers and the garbage known as mass consumer opinion are irrelevant.

As a side, talking about them and WP7 fighting for 3rd place; at least when RIM does release a qwerty device for BB10, they'll have that extra point under their belt. As I follow alot of tech news every day, i've not seen one similar qwerty style WP7 on the way. Not that the faithful would switch anyway

Sent from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    05-30-12 01:34 AM
    What I want from RIM?
    But with;
    BB10 OS
    Bigger BATTERY

Do change/add whatever to make the 9900 to run BB10 smoothly and make it last for a full 16hours on a single battery charge.
    But I want this keyboard and the form factor. I wouldn't mind a bit if it becomes a bit thicker/bigger to accommodate a better battery or a bit bigger screen.

Please!!!
    Make one for me RIM!!!
    05-30-12 02:06 AM
    I believe key features from the java based os should be present in a sleek, modern look.

As already stated by research in motion, the physical keyboard version will be coming out soon after the first touchscreen version comes out.

Yes, it may not look the same but should function the same.

BIS will die I think because of the dev alpha "bbm without service" but I'm sure more will come.

BB10 is an extension to java version os and will be modern.

We are restoring the new.

We do that with monuments too right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    05-30-12 05:17 AM
    My Wants:

1) NFC functionality with a "BlackberryWallet" so that I can make payments (I have a 9900, but as far as I know, no apps to make payments with it and only APP I've heard of is Rogers - I'm a Wind client). This is a MAJOR game changer if RIM can roll it out. They lead in NFC certification.

2) I want/need better communications options/replacements for Skype of Dell Voice. I am using the Playbook to stay in touch with family in Serbia. I have VOIP for my phone here, but can't get a reasonable cost termination in Serbia. BB is big in the third world, so for god's sake give us/them apps to lower the cost of calls. Playbook Video Conferencing is a step in the right direction, but until there is a desktop version, it is crippled. We need integration with the rest of the world.

3) A full screen with a keyboard. Slider? I like my 9900 keyboard but I often wish it had a larger screen because yes, sometimes I like to play games on it.

4) Pushing integration with QNX in cars. Give BB some special features there if possible.

5) Development, development, development. Pay developers to develop core/leading apps, if need be. Keep hammering home message that BB developers MAKE MORE $
    05-30-12 06:41 AM
    OK What do I want?

Simple, like the pb (not physically) with bbos functionality plus developer support with only minor bugs. I don't think any OS is or will ever be bug free.
    05-30-12 07:32 AM
    But I am not a power user, I don't want to browse heavily on my phone, do not want to watch movies or play games, I want to call, email, social network, IM people that is what my phone is for. Anything else is extra I don't and won't use.
    Then a BBOS 7 Bold 99XX would be the perfect device for you. BB10 is meant to do everything that BBOS can do, give the media rich capabilities that BBOS lacks, make app development much easier for developers (which should bring more apps to satisfy the people that apps are a selling point for), basically provide what people left Blackberry for when they go to iPhone or Android. It is built from the ground up for a touchscreen experience. Sure there will be keyboard versions, but it will still require some touchscreen interaction too.
    05-30-12 07:52 AM
    Maybe I'm the minority but I could care less if RIM survives as a company or if BB10 ever sees the light of day. Theres plenty of phones to choose from.

Somebody will buy RIMs core businesses and there will still be a market for keyboard phones that simply do text/email and do it well.
    05-30-12 08:44 AM

I guess what I am trying to ask is, what in YOUR eyes, would make this phone a success? And I mean to make you buy it
    Quite simply, a hot cougar. If I get one of those free with purchase, I will buy one even especially if it sucks. The phone I mean. This is a family forum.
    05-30-12 10:33 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD