As of late RIM have decided to make a move to secured its future in the smartphone rat race. With making a correct start through introducing the BB10 OS!! (and the unpleasant news of Layoff and down sizing >w<)

However its future is still shrouded in uncertainty!

The problem with RIM is its ability in the face of the competition - 5 years ago there are Four competitors MS Nokia Android and Apple.

Now its down to 2 and a half - with Windows being the underdog, and the fight is on between ANDROID and IOS!

While it doesnt help that the founder and CEO of RIM have for so long being in the way of revamping the OS and bring in the much needed update the rang of product on offer and the innovation that is necessary in the rat race.

Certain strategy before Thorsten became the CEO sound more like the company in a panic and lost its direction. With previous strategy of playing catch up with the St Jose rivals, pretty much meant RIM have lost touch with Its existing customers and alienated its potential customers.

Never the less it is never too late to start doing something meaningful for the company.

This is my suggestion for RIM going forward: a two way approach.

A mass market blackberry brand to complete with the likes of Android and Apple. With the BB10 platform smartphone and if possible a range of tablets! Such platform should have included a strong presence of App markets and encourage developers to play a core part of the phones strategy.
    The Application ecology of the IOS and ANDROID platform is what draw users to their fold!!
    I guess with the latest Blackberry Jam this is certainly the way forward.

An enterprise Blackberry that work on the existing OS6/7 with focus mainly on the corporate market and individual users who prefer the simplicity of the phone /tablet at hand.
    This particular segment of the market is highly task orientated and the use of the phone is pretty much like a tool, its serve as the terminal or communication hub of the user, phone users in this category are not interested in the availability of the application but would prefer to have a robust phone that would work in most condition and if possible business, production and utility applications that would allow them to go the extra mile when it comes to performing a function at hand.

Something like a Tough phone designed for Blackberry, a globalsat/iridium satellite version of the Blackberry would have been a market KILLER mixing the BES/BIS with Satellite operators is a win win situation for RIM!!! - Governments and remote users and their communities would have flock to use the device if RIM would have pay more attention to this market segment, since ALL MOST ALL MAJOR tech companies have ignored this particular group of users SO FAR!!!

On the other hand RIM should continue to complete with companies like Vertus and work with luxury brands to create technologies for the luxury market, given its versatility and value of the RIM blackberry brand it wont be hard to sell!

The Porsche design Blackberry is a good sign for such collaboration.

The first strategy would have allow RIM to complete with the other players in the market, and explore new ways of using ones phone, while the second strategy deals with existing user communities who flavors functionality over flashy applications that tends to get in the way of doing business or life.

As a user who prefer his smartphone to be his tool not a distraction in life, i have always been drawn to functionality of devices instead of the bling bling offered by IOS or ANDROID.

Lads and Lassies whats your opinion regarding the way forward for RIM??
    05-29-12 12:22 AM
    Well regarding your option 1, I feel like RIM have really tried to get more people to make apps for the blackberry. I mean, they gave EVERYONE who went to orlando this year an Alpha device. And if I remember correct, they gave many free playbooks away to devs if they created just one app for the PB. So I feel like RIM trying in this aspect. I really do. It is just up to the users and developers of apps to make more. RIM has done a lot to give devs reasons to make an app, but they just arnt making them.

With bb10 coming, I think it will bring RIM back into the never ending race. I have high hopes for bb10, but only time will tell. I'm a little worried all the gestures with the phone will confuse people. But I really think bb10 will do great once released, then it will slow down, then it will get HUGE once people realize how awesome it is.

A series of tablets would be good, but they already have the playbook, and honestly, with the way people are, most of them don't want a blackberry tablet unless they have a blackberry phone. But its not the same for the ipad. Many users of the ipad do not have an iphone.

Its all about apps and marketing. We need more apps to get people to convert to bb10. And we need the developers help with that. And RIM is trying hard with marketing it seems with all the TV commercials, but the public needs to realize, blackberries ARE smartphones. A lot of people don't realize this (see the thread I made about getting annoyed with iphone users). A lot of people just don't realize what BBs are capable of.

There is one thing I think would help with bb10, and it may seem dumb, but I think it will work. People love to jailbreak their iphones, but the cydia market on it, and have more apps. We should get another app market on the blackberry to run next to appworld. People would love apps that they do not think RIM approved for the blackberry. It would bring more of the young crowd over I think. People like feeling rebellious.

Just my 2 cents worth
    khalmarri likes this.
    05-29-12 02:06 AM
    Thorstein did mention RIM's target market. Didn't he mention something about targetting business people?

I'm just glad that RIM has a clear shot target to go off on now. It felt like to me why RIM was struggling was because they just didn't know who to target, young adults, businessmen, or just wanted to compete with Android and iOS.

I really think RIM should be right where they are. Sure BB10 is a game changer but if what Thorstein says who RIM will be targetting I just hope they stick to it.

Plus, with the U.S government starting to implement use of Blackberries in the military, RIM is good where they're at.

Here's my final thought: RIM shouldn't be something or someone they're not (iOS, Android). RIM should be RIM.

That's that.

Sent from ERain's CrackBerry 9930
    05-29-12 02:31 AM
    As of late RIM have decided to make a move to secured its future in the smartphone rat race. With making a correct start through introducing the BB10 OS!! (and the unpleasant news of Layoff and down sizing >w<)

However its future is still shrouded in uncertainty!

The problem with RIM is its ability in the face of the competition - 5 years ago there are Four competitors MS Nokia Android and Apple.

Now its down to 2 and a half - with Windows being the underdog, and the fight is on between ANDROID and IOS!

While it doesnt help that the founder and CEO of RIM have for so long being in the way of revamping the OS and bring in the much needed update the rang of product on offer and the innovation that is necessary in the rat race.

Certain strategy before Thorsten became the CEO sound more like the company in a panic and lost its direction. With previous strategy of playing catch up with the St Jose rivals, pretty much meant RIM have lost touch with Its existing customers and alienated its potential customers.

Never the less it is never too late to start doing something meaningful for the company.

This is my suggestion for RIM going forward: a two way approach.

A mass market blackberry brand to complete with the likes of Android and Apple. With the BB10 platform smartphone and if possible a range of tablets! Such platform should have included a strong presence of App markets and encourage developers to play a core part of the phones strategy.

The Application ecology of the IOS and ANDROID platform is what draw users to their fold!!

I guess with the latest Blackberry Jam this is certainly the way forward.

An enterprise Blackberry that work on the existing OS6/7 with focus mainly on the corporate market and individual users who prefer the simplicity of the phone /tablet at hand.

This particular segment of the market is highly task orientated and the use of the phone is pretty much like a tool, its serve as the terminal or communication hub of the user, phone users in this category are not interested in the availability of the application but would prefer to have a robust phone that would work in most condition and if possible business, production and utility applications that would allow them to go the extra mile when it comes to performing a function at hand.

Something like a Tough phone designed for Blackberry, a globalsat/iridium satellite version of the Blackberry would have been a market KILLER mixing the BES/BIS with Satellite operators is a win win situation for RIM!!! - Governments and remote users and their communities would have flock to use the device if RIM would have pay more attention to this market segment, since ALL MOST ALL MAJOR tech companies have ignored this particular group of users SO FAR!!!

On the other hand RIM should continue to complete with companies like Vertus and work with luxury brands to create technologies for the luxury market, given its versatility and value of the RIM blackberry brand it wont be hard to sell!

The Porsche design Blackberry is a good sign for such collaboration.

The first strategy would have allow RIM to complete with the other players in the market, and explore new ways of using ones phone, while the second strategy deals with existing user communities who flavors functionality over flashy applications that tends to get in the way of doing business or life.

As a user who prefer his smartphone to be his tool not a distraction in life, i have always been drawn to functionality of devices instead of the bling bling offered by IOS or ANDROID.

Lads and Lassies whats your opinion regarding the way forward for RIM??

IMHO...
    #2 is very good point... this is where RIM will be RIM....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    ekv likes this.
    05-29-12 02:49 AM
    Thorstein did mention RIM's target market. Didn't he mention something about targetting business people?
    He said it but to date all we hear are announcements about new games and time-wasting applications. I guess his "business people" are 16 year old students. Great news he announced the hiring of a Chief Marketing Officer and now we hear rumors of lay-offs targeting the marketing department. I am confused but that is really nothing new.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-29-12 03:08 AM
    RIM should focus on enterprise

3rd party developpers and partners will focus on consumers making both their own companies and RIM a lot of money.

To me thats such a great approach. It contrasts being closed taking the majority of revenue for one company and trying to lock consumers into your model of how things should be.
    05-29-12 03:19 AM
    RIM should focus on enterprise

3rd party developpers and partners will focus on consumers making both their own companies and RIM a lot of money.

To me thats such a great approach. It contrasts being closed taking the majority of revenue for one company and trying to lock consumers into your model of how things should be.
    RIM is focusing on what they can do best. They understand that if they want to compete, they need devs. And they are trying to give devs the tools they need. They are getting out of things that are better done by devs, like games. I believe some of the layoffs are a result of abandoning projects that do not fit this line of thinking. If you look at job postings from RIM, they are hiring in the area of development tools and developer relations. So it is not like RIM is laying off people as a desperate measure. They are realigning to meet the demands of the future in mobile technology.

I got into PlayBook development wholly because of the free playbook offer. And ever since, I have grown to like developing for the device. Now with Cascades, BB has become an extremely attractive platform to develop for. Though it has not been without pains, I am seeing the NDK gets better and better each iteration. I am in love with development on the Dev Alpha. So many possibilities. The education space deserves better and cheaper mobile solutions than what are being offered by things that begin with the ninth letter of the Roman alphabets.

BTW, people think that mobile fusion is an enterprise feature and has nothing for the consumers. I think that they are wrong. In time, they will see how mobile fusion and security will become a daily necessity, whether they see it in action directly or not.
    05-29-12 03:43 AM
    If RIM do something follow normal people's logic, I think RIM is going well.

Sorry for my English.
    05-29-12 11:14 AM
    RIM currently find itself in a tough position. They are dwarfed by each of Apple, Google and Microsoft when it comes to net revenue and market cap. They are also dwarfed by the aforementioned three when it comes to developed ecosystems and complementary products/services. RIM cannot and should not attempt to compete with the Big Three.

At this stage of the game, RIM needs to either find a niche in the market to which it is a good fit, or they need to identify weaknesses in the market and take advantage of them.

I'm not sure that there exists a niche in the market that can keep RIM afloat long term. Where I do think there is potential is in taking advantages of weaknesses in the current market. Each of Apple, Google and Microsoft love to try to tie their uses into their own proprietary products. Many users are OK with this. A certain portion are not. And, that is an opening. Do NOT attempt to create a new, fourth ecosystem of proprietary products. Work with developers, and work with both Google and Microsoft (I didn't include Apple because, well, they are as closed and closed gets) to get their services on BBs, if users so choose them. Work to seemlessly integrate all major e-mails, calendars, contact lists into BB. Take BBM cross-platform, and work with other messaging services to integrate their products into the OS. Work with DropBox, SkyDrive and Google Drive to integrate their services. Work with Google Music, Spotify, etc., to integrate their music services.

Work hard to allow users the opportunity to pick and choose which services they use, and make sure that those services integrate flawlessly. Some users may want to use Yahoo Mail and contacts, a 3rd party calendar, Google Maps, Spotify and SkyDrive. Allow that to happen. Make the OS a blank canvas upon which users can mix and match the services that they wish to use.

Imo, that's where the opportunity lies. NOT within creating yet another largely standalone, proprietary ecosystem.
    05-29-12 01:00 PM
    RIM currently find itself in a tough position. They are dwarfed by each of Apple, Google and Microsoft when it comes to net revenue and market cap. They are also dwarfed by the aforementioned three when it comes to developed ecosystems and complementary products/services. RIM cannot and should not attempt to compete with the Big Three.

At this stage of the game, RIM needs to either find a niche in the market to which it is a good fit, or they need to identify weaknesses in the market and take advantage of them.

I'm not sure that there exists a niche in the market that can keep RIM afloat long term. Where I do think there is potential is in taking advantages of weaknesses in the current market. Each of Apple, Google and Microsoft love to try to tie their uses into their own proprietary products. Many users are OK with this. A certain portion are not. And, that is an opening. Do NOT attempt to create a new, fourth ecosystem of proprietary products. Work with developers, and work with both Google and Microsoft (I didn't include Apple because, well, they are as closed and closed gets) to get their services on BBs, if users so choose them. Work to seemlessly integrate all major e-mails, calendars, contact lists into BB. Take BBM cross-platform, and work with other messaging services to integrate their products into the OS. Work with DropBox, SkyDrive and Google Drive to integrate their services. Work with Google Music, Spotify, etc., to integrate their music services.

Work hard to allow users the opportunity to pick and choose which services they use, and make sure that those services integrate flawlessly. Some users may want to use Yahoo Mail and contacts, a 3rd party calendar, Google Maps, Spotify and SkyDrive. Allow that to happen. Make the OS a blank canvas upon which users can mix and match the services that they wish to use.

Imo, that's where the opportunity lies. NOT within creating yet another largely standalone, proprietary ecosystem.
    With that option, you have left no reason for anyone to choose BB. The write once, deploy anywhere strategy is always the last desperate gasp of the platform for which no one wants to write.
    05-29-12 02:21 PM

I'm just glad that RIM has a clear shot target to go off on now. It felt like to me why RIM was struggling was because they just didn't know who to target, young adults, businessmen, or just wanted to compete with Android and iOS.

I really think RIM should be right where they are. Sure BB10 is a game changer but if what Thorstein says who RIM will be targetting I just hope they stick to it.

Plus, with the U.S government starting to implement use of Blackberries in the military, RIM is good where they're at.

Here's my final thought: RIM shouldn't be something or someone they're not (iOS, Android). RIM should be RIM.

That's that.

Sent from ERain's CrackBerry 9930
    I agree with most of the things that you say but, i think that RIM should try to get more, it's a world when things can change in a blink of an eye and who knows what will bring tomorrow.. The military is a good direction but still, they can always come back big time if they will make the "game changer" correctly. BB10 can be a big surprise.. who knows... they did it once they can do it again.
    05-29-12 03:55 PM
    #1 - Get rid of the apps = "toys", "distractions", "bling" mentality. Fortunately I think Heins has indeed eliminated this idiotic line of thinking (hence RIM's huge push to please 3rd party developers). Unfortunately, his predecessors never understood the power of allowing 3rd party devs to easily extend the functionality of the device and then profit from it, which is why RIM is in the trouble it is.

In reality, apps are creating new kinds of businesses (Square), improving efficiency in business (e.g., all the restaurant order placement apps), and are becoming central to the conduct of many businesses.
    05-29-12 04:03 PM
    According to the latest press release from RIM, seems like RIM is getting into a wrong impression that investment banks make suitable advisers........

From my experience working with Ibanks i dont think they will have anything solid on offer......

Per the open post regarding the plan A and sort, i think its kind of unrealistic that RIM as a company can gamble on the release of a SINGLE new devices, if we look at the most optimistic case that all current BB users would either purchase an extra BB10 device, the growth of the BB sales will still stagnate in a certain point of time.

The market for smartphone is highly developed, in prime regions like US,EU,ANZ and HK. Sales of smartphone will eventually reach a peak. How to squeeze growth in these markets are kind of hard to tell.

The best solution forward for RIM is to adopt a twin prone strategy: as i have said earlier the focus on Enterprise BlackBerry and the luxurious market cooperation with design house makes alot of sense for such collaboration would diversifying their market reach while at the same time bring forth BB as a top brand as a whole.

Other then sales strategies, RIM should also consider to make global partners who would offer its services to the wider user communities, for things like integrated certificate management on the BB devices, how to encourage local partners to host BES servers for SME companies that have business ourreach that would have span the globe.

The very simply fact of selling ROBUST device to governments / NGO / International Corporations / Defence / SME . This market segment is alot more promising then the average consumer market, where recession or trend tends to be less of a concern where users prefer functionality over the colourful app world on consumer devices.

There is a lot of money to be made through the use of services, and it is possible for RIM to ganer the extra income out side of selling the extra devices.

Projects like local certified BES hosting partners, security solution providers, VPN providers, and the crown of the jewel - payment system and ID system via BB......... it is all these devices that would have made BB desirable to users, not the other way around!!
    louzer likes this.
    05-29-12 09:43 PM
    Projects like local certified BES hosting partners, security solution providers, VPN providers, and the crown of the jewel - payment system and ID system via BB......... it is all these devices that would have made BB desirable to users, not the other way around!!
    Bingo. With all of the potential security breeches with public wifi coupled with the carriers imposing caps on data usage, and phones which switch between wifi and carrier networks invisibly behind the scenes, APIs to ensure security in apps could become crucial. RIM could become the trusted solution to secure commerce.
    05-29-12 10:24 PM
    Bingo. With all of the potential security breeches with public wifi coupled with the carriers imposing caps on data usage, and phones which switch between wifi and carrier networks invisibly behind the scenes, APIs to ensure security in apps could become crucial. RIM could become the trusted solution to secure commerce.
    True, but this is unlikely to appeal to the moronic element of our forum who take delight in denouncing anything positive about RIM. Sadly they don't have the brain power to understand that the concept of "security" is much, much more than just data privacy - or they choose to ignore because it doesn't suit their agenda.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    05-30-12 09:40 AM
    True, but this is unlikely to appeal to the moronic element of our forum who take delight in denouncing anything positive about RIM. Sadly they don't have the brain power to understand that the concept of "security" is much, much more than just data privacy - or they choose to ignore because it doesn't suit their agenda.
    Marketing by certain companies has warped the ability to discern properly in many consumers. But then, that's what marketing is supposed to do.
    05-30-12 09:45 AM
    I think RIM should aim to beat Windows Phone OS no matter what. Target the business segment and solidify market share where it's their bread and butter. When they can defeat WP it could actually cause MS to consider other options to maintain relevancy with their Windows platform for mobiles. Here, RIM could angle itself to collaborate deeper and better with Windows. Win the enterprise market back with great, capable software - when people have to go back to using BBs for their company they'll see a new version of BlackBerry, one that is great for work and play.
    This is how RIM got so big the first time and they can do it again but if they ever do pull it off I hope they learned their lesson and won't be complacent again.
    05-30-12 10:05 AM
    I believe the enterprise and consumer spaces interdependent at this point. Focusing on only one does not seem to be the way others are winning. The consumer desire for iPhone's and Android's is what pushed them into the enterprise in the first place IMHO.

I think RIM could shrink the size of the company and make money on high security, enterprise applications. However, I think they would need to offer up the key "consumer like" features to bring parity in many areas with iOS and Android. The don't have to mount a major push in the consumer space if they go enterprise in terms of focus, but they cannot completely ignore the desires of the people using the phones. We are all consumers, including CEO's, CTO's, etc.
    05-30-12 12:11 PM
    BB10 looks to be a great platform from what we have seen. I could see a company like Amazon or Facebook being interested. I would pick Facebook because, if they are interested in getting into the hardware business, RIM's patents would be appealing.

As for RIM, I think they would operate better if they had a financial backer rather than being completely independent. Accountability can be a great motivational driver and RIM could probably use that kind of structure.

BB10 shows that RIM still has some great ideas, but they need cash flow and structure. A company like Facebook or any other fueling RIM and keeping them on track could make RIM into a powerhouse again.

But still, I can see many problems with my own argument.
    05-31-12 03:29 PM
    The worst idea would be a tie up between RIM and RB..... if thats the case i am pretty sure the Bold9900 will be my last RIM phone, although most players in the market are doing the same kind of bundling with FB and Twitters which Blackberry have already done with the social feed app, i remain unconvinced as to the need in integrating either on board the phone system,,......,,

But in doing that it would have been a good revenue for both the Social networks and RIM......But a black day for privacy...
    06-02-12 09:43 PM
    But, Branta, you know as well as anyone that the great unwashed don't care about "security" or "true multi-tasking" or "true push email". It's only us geeks, nerds and technophiles that do and we're in the vastly inferior numbers wise minority.

I think there will always be a niche for RIM in government and larger corporations. But the average consumer (who probably account for 90% of the phone buying public) doesn't care.
    06-02-12 11:10 PM
    I feel like I am an average customer. I don't use my phone for business, but I love the multitasking and push email and everything. But then again, I am a geek sometimes.
    06-03-12 09:05 AM
    indonesians should stop using blackberry!
    06-04-12 12:43 PM
    That's not me, but what? Why?
    06-05-12 07:10 AM
    But, Branta, you know as well as anyone that the great unwashed don't care about "security" or "true multi-tasking" or "true push email". It's only us geeks, nerds and technophiles that do and we're in the vastly inferior numbers wise minority.

I think there will always be a niche for RIM in government and larger corporations. But the average consumer (who probably account for 90% of the phone buying public) doesn't care.

I wouldn't say they don't care exactly, it's just that these selling points aren't as easily noticed. You can see features like HD video recording or front facing cameras, you can't really show someone good security with the same pizzaz.

Also as time goes on competitors are catching up to RIM in some of these things. My friend gets emails on his S2 as fast as I do on my blackberry, and multitasks heavilly without his phone slowing down or having to close apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 08:54 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD