Does the Playbook drain the battery faster when on standby with a video paused compared to no apps running at all?
    I paused a video with about 70% of battery remaining. Two days later the battery is at 0%. Wifi and bluetooth are off.
    05-27-12 08:41 PM
    I guess you can run a test for a few hours and see. Don't push it to the max but over one night might be sufficient.
    05-27-12 10:52 PM
    I will test to see. I thought others may have experienced the same.
    05-28-12 04:37 AM
    Hi Angus,

i can say it uses no more than the normal stand-by, i regually watch half a movie on my commute to work and pause it leaving the video open then watch the other half on the way home.

let me know what your findings are
    05-28-12 05:59 AM
    I guess you can run a test for a few hours and see. Don't push it to the max but over one night might be sufficient.
    You could also use Battery Guru and just watch it for 5-6 minutes instead... Set up the conditions, put it in standby for that long, then swipe it back on and immediately check the power reading. Compare with doing the same thing without the video app open and you've got your answer...
    05-28-12 08:26 AM
    You could also use Battery Guru and just watch it for 5-6 minutes instead... Set up the conditions, put it in standby for that long, then swipe it back on and immediately check the power reading. Compare with doing the same thing without the video app open and you've got your answer...
    Actually, that was my first thought but then decided if the OP did not have Battery Guru (unheard of, I'm sure!), just test as is would work, too.
    05-28-12 09:09 AM
    I often have different "idle drain" too.

Most of the time when the PB uses more juice the browser which is always "active" (I mean not closed) has a few more tabs open, and uses over all more RAM.

I never got Battey Guru (I know, unheard! ) so it's just subjective observation
    05-28-12 09:19 AM
    I do have Battery Guru installed but hadn't really figured how to use it.
    From the exported file I see Power (W) readings at -0.168 during the 6 minute interval while the video is paused. Current (A) readings are consistent at -0.042.
    During the next 6 minutes, with the video app closed, the Power (W) readings initially show -0.172 and drop to -0.048. Current (A) ranges from -0.042 to -0.012.
    The Playbook was in Standby during both 6 minute intervals.

What does that tell you?
    05-28-12 04:11 PM
    I do have Battery Guru installed but hadn't really figured how to use it.
    From the exported file I see Power (W) readings at -0.168 during the 6 minute interval while the video is paused. Current (A) readings are consistent at -0.042.
    During the next 6 minutes, with the video app closed, the Power (W) readings initially show -0.172 and drop to -0.048. Current (A) ranges from -0.042 to -0.012.
    The Playbook was in Standby during both 6 minute intervals.

What does that tell you?
    It tells me that with other activity going on in your PlayBook, probably the PIM messaging component, you're not measuring for long enough to say much...

Try disabling WiFi before doing this, and run for 10 minutes next time just to get more than a couple of readings. The OS updates the values only every two minutes, so the first one in a group may be "polluted" by previous conditions (e.g. the initial 0.172W power reading). Doing only about six minutes means you get maybe only two relevant values, and if you haven't made sure other activities are stopped you really can't tell what you might be measuring.

That said, you do actually appear to have an average around 0.168W with the video paused, and lower (around 0.05-0.07W is normal in standby) when it's closed, so that does suggest significantly more consumption with it paused. If so, they could probably improve the battery-friendliness of that app.
    05-29-12 08:42 AM
    All tests are done with Wifi and Bluetooth turned off.

20 minutes with the video paused. Average: 0.168W Power. 10 minutes with Application Behavior Paused and 10 minutes Default.
    12 minutes with no video. Average: 0.052W Power.

7 hours, no video, Airplane mode. Average: 0.062W Power.
    Battery Level dropped 3%.
    This should translate to <22% Battery Level loss over 48 hours rather than >70% that I saw on the weekend with a video paused.

So, thanks to Peter and Battary Guru, I've answered my own question.
    The Playbook does use approximately 3X more power on Standby with a video paused. Also, Airplane mode is no different than just turning off Wifi and Bluetooth. Just easier I guess.

I forgot to add, there was no difference with the two different settings of Application Behavior, Paused and Default both returned an average 0.168W Power usage with a video paused.
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 05-30-12 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Afterthought
    05-30-12 05:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD