I have to say, I am a very big fan of the trackpad which is on all modern BlackBerry devices, apart from the BB10 prototype. I don't so much use the trackpad for menu navigation, but rather for the browser. Many a time have I come across websites which offer drop-down menus and unique layers when a cursor is placed over it. When using the likes of Android or iOS, I am not able to operate these features which downs my browsing experience. There is also the fact that on my 9900, I have disabled the ability to touch and hold, to bring up an options menu. I often touch and hold my screen so that I can just go up, down, left or right by just using movement. The hold-down menu still works on my trackpad. It appears when I hold the trackpad down.

Just like the convenience keys disappearing for no good reason (I am still missing my 9700 for the extra one), I don't wish to see another piece of hardware be stripped from the final versions of the new BlackBerry devices. I know I have only listed a couple of reasons as to what the trackpad is able to do that nothing else can, but there must be other users out there who are in favour of the trackpad. If it'll be left out, it's left out. I'll try the released device to see what it's like. Perhaps there will be a different method on controlling a cursor in the browser if they plan on even keeping the pointer?
    05-24-12 08:22 PM
    Trackpad definitely useful. I would like it eliminated from front of device, so you have BB10 which is ALL SCREEN with thin bezel.

However, keep trackpad... here is an IDEA...

TAKE NOTICE RIM!!! (patent pending)

Add a touch-like tracking surface to the BACK of your phones! Yes, you can finger in reverse!!! Just place a touchpad like surface on the opposite side of the screen.

You can easily type on the front of the slider keyboard while sliding your finger over the back of your phone to move the mouse arrow. Even if there is no keyboard slider, you can still use your finger on back of screen.

It is actually VERY EASY to train yourself to move your finger over the back side of the phone. Like using a magnet under a glass table to move stuff on top of the table!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-24-12 08:37 PM
    Add a touch-like tracking surface to the BACK of your phones! Yes, you can finger in reverse!!! Just place a touchpad like surface on the opposite side of the screen.
    This probably wouldn't work too well and has already been done on the Motorola Backflip. Once you get use to using the browser on a full touch it's very simple and way more effective at certain times than with a trackpad. Also in ICS for text editing on a full touch screen you can use the volume rocker to move the cursor around(unless it's only on CyanogenMod) but very useful.
    05-24-12 09:47 PM
    I say keep the Trackpad. For this little things you need to hit, its definitely very helpful. Its also a great way to differentiate themselves from the other phones out there that don't offer this feature and a great way to say hey, we make life easier with this simple thing.
    05-24-12 10:36 PM
    for the full touch BB10 i am fine if it is without a trackpad. But for the physical keyboard version, please keep the trackpad. Editing long text is easier with a trackpad. If not, implement something similar.

---

A random idea just struck me. Perhaps the keyboard area could be the "trackpad" instead. See the attached image.

- simply press "alt+shft" for example to get to trackpad mode. (This is so that under normal typing, we wont accidentally move the cursor around. But lets say you want to go back to a specific point in the last paragraph, just use "trackpad mode" to get there.

- Once the cursor is there, we can still hold "shft" to select text. short cut keys for copy and paste can still be used. Since only the keys "t,y,g,h" are the trackpad area.

- As we know the traditional trackpad can be clicked. When in trackpad mode, maybe all the 4 keys have the same function of clicking as the trackpad. Or if too confusing, can just use the "enter" key. So when browsing for example and you want to select a link, use the trackpad to navigate the mouse pointer to the link, and hit enter to select.

hahaha. silly idea, but do you guys think this is workable???
    hahaha. maybe just including a trackpad would be much easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Would it be Worth it Keeping the Trackpad?-screen-shot-2012-05-25-1.49.36-pm.png  
    05-25-12 12:59 AM
    Sounds like a good idea. Make TYGH square a trackpad with left click function when tapped. Maybe also add right click function by pressing another key block, to select special popup menus on certain websites.

The thing is, are we talking about having a keyboard on screen convert to a trackpad onscreen? Or a physical slide out keyboard? I was hoping NOT to use up screen real estate for this, that is why I would like a touch-sensitive area on the back of the phone, and the screen extend almost to the edge with almost no bezel.

Keep those ideas coming! Hope RIM is reading this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-25-12 01:46 AM
    The trackpad and keyboard combo gives me the feel and efficiency similar to a mouse and keyboard on a PC.

I also own a Torch 9850 and actually do not care for the trackpad on it due to:

1) Placement at the bottom of the device. Throws off the balance.

2) No physical keyboard.

I would rather see BB10 all touch devices not have a trackpad. Then of course in short order after launch I would like to see a Bold form factor BB10 device.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-25-12 02:44 AM
    why not have a software trackpad on the all touch devices? Something like a little trackpad at the bottom controlled by the software. Something similar to motorolas touch buttons.
    05-25-12 06:17 AM
    keep the track pad, it's a must, and much more secure i.e. no smeary marks for some thief to work out your passcode. And it will keep the wonderful surface cleaner so I don't have to look through beef burger greasey smears.
    05-25-12 06:50 AM
    The trackpad makes editing text soooooo much easier and efficient.

I remember with my iPhone, when I made typos it took forever to go back in and try to fix one word. I would end up just deleting the whole sentence.
    05-25-12 08:34 AM
    The trackpad makes editing text soooooo much easier and efficient.

I remember with my iPhone, when I made typos it took forever to go back in and try to fix one word. I would end up just deleting the whole sentence.
    Yes, LOVE the trackpad just for this reason, epecially on the smaller display of a phone, and HATE trying to zero in on text on a touch screen (and yes, it would come in very handy on the PlayBook, too). If they decide to lose it, I sure hope they have a touch-screen equivalent that works at least as well.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 05-25-12 at 09:17 AM.
    05-25-12 09:15 AM
    Maybe BB10 could come up with a virtual trackpad? Maybe at a press of a convenience key your BB10 device can rock a touch screen and a trackpad at the same time! Dunno.. just a random thought. I certainly wish that BB10 would amaze, just make sure the trackpad stays in whatever form it can be in...
    05-25-12 09:31 AM
    pro trackpad here!!
    05-25-12 10:22 AM
    I took this pic a few days ago for another thread. I really think that touchscreen BB10 devices will have a trackpad implemented within the keyboard. In the screenshot, I'm using Swiftkey 3 beta. Swiftkey will be designing the BB10 virtual keyboard.

05-25-12 12:24 PM
    I took this pic a few days ago for another thread. I really think that touchscreen BB10 devices will have a trackpad implemented within the keyboard. In the screenshot, I'm using Swiftkey 3 beta. Swiftkey will be designing the BB10 virtual keyboard.

Click to view quoted image
    If they do such a thing, I only hope they don't relegate directional keys/virtual trackpad/whatever to a 'special' keyboard layout that takes a number of extra taps to get to. One of the huge benefits I find of the physical trackpad is that it's always there. Since I use it a LOT, whatever replaces it had better be as quickly and easily accessible.
    05-25-12 12:41 PM
    There's always been something about the trackpad that really stood out to me. It was like a Jewel in the newer Blackberry devices. Even the slight purple hue you'd see in it when light passed through it looked nice

I say keep it somehow. The precision of the trackpad is unmatched compared to the misery plump fingers create on a touchscreen.

Maybe make the dimensions for the trackpad different and/or incorporate simple gestures into it.
    05-25-12 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD