SO I have had a few blackberries, thought I'd try an iPhone, and whithout getting into it, it's just not my style. I left on the Bold Touch, but hated the camera, so I though I'd come back with a torch. One thing, seems like no Verizon stores are carrying them...why is that...

Another thing, and I don't know if it's like the bold touch battery issue (some had HUGE issues, I went through 2 bolds and never had an issue) but on the verizon sight about half the people were talking about the screen freezing up...

I guess I just wanted some insight on the torch, hopefully it isn't anything like the Storm 9550 I had...was like a nightmare....
    05-24-12 02:35 PM
    The screen on my 9860 froze up the first day I got it. Since my phone is password protected, I had to pull the battery to reset it. Hasn't happened since. I haven't had the battery drain issues or the screen issues that other people have posted about. The battery, with moderate use, lasts about 30 hours before I must plug it in, and I've gotten 2 days of use out of it. Of course, it drains faster than a phone with a smaller screen. I've gotten into the habit of rebooting the phone (using RestartMe) every time I plug it in; it just keeps things running smoothly and quickly.

The touch keyboard is a bit of a compromise for the sake of the bigger screen. But it's still very usable, and the predictive text can be a benefit as well.
    05-24-12 02:56 PM
    I have a 9850 on Verizon. Great phone. I only recently went back to my Bold because I just had to have the real keyboard. Must say .. browsing the web on the 9850 was lots better because of the screen. And the camera was better. One strange difference is on the 9850 I had a memory leak that does not occur on the Bold. Same OS version and I use the same apps. Odd.
    05-24-12 03:22 PM
    Good idea Al, there are a ton of apps that can restart me everyday... I guess I forgot about that, I had that for my bold. I have had an iPhone for wayyyyy too long. I ordered one today, I should get it tomorrow, I'm pretty happy about going back to blackberry.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-24-12 03:24 PM
    SO I have had a few blackberries, thought I'd try an iPhone, and whithout getting into it, it's just not my style. I left on the Bold Touch, but hated the camera, so I though I'd come back with a torch. One thing, seems like no Verizon stores are carrying them...why is that...
    Verizon wants to sell only 4G LTE phones, which currently means Android. iPhones are huge sellers, so they carry them too, even though they are not LTE.
    05-24-12 04:17 PM
    I wouldn't re-up a contract for a 9850 with BB10 looming. If you are getting one off contract then for sure get one. I would try my hardest to get one off ebay or other sites to get a cheap one. I believe the 9850 won't even be able to sniff a BB10 phone (obviously).
    05-24-12 04:58 PM
    Oh no way. I go through phones like crazy, I don't deal with contracts!
    05-24-12 05:10 PM
    While I can't say directly against the old Storm models as I never owned one, I will say this phone is a vast improvement over the the Bold I used to have. Also my battery with average use lasts me about two days thats surfing the internet, email, text messaging and a bunch of BBMing.

The camera for me is fantastic I love it and have no issues with it. But the keyboard could use some work. I think that will be the biggest sticking point for you overall versus your iPhone.
    05-24-12 05:49 PM
    I went from a 8530 to the 9850. I was worried about the touch screen typing. (I have fat fingers). No problems what so ever! I love the 9850.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-24-12 07:59 PM
    I have adapted to this keyboard. The correct is very accurate. I am a heavy user and still get enough to last a full day on 7.1
    No issues.

I actually don't miss the full keyboard for some reason and don't care how the bb10 will release with a physical keyboard either.
    This message was typed in 30 seconds.

Lol a good phone!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-25-12 07:15 AM
    Good idea Al, there are a ton of apps that can restart me everyday... I guess I forgot about that, I had that for my bold. I have had an iPhone for wayyyyy too long. I ordered one today, I should get it tomorrow, I'm pretty happy about going back to blackberry.
    I had the 9860 and it's because of this phone why myself and my daughter I left BB, do your research...the clear coat on the buttons comes off and there is a back button issue with this phone (it stops working or become very difficult to use). The keyboard sucks and coming from an iphone keyboard you won't like it.
    I now have a Galaxy Nexus and I'm not going back...before people start with the battery life statement it's better than the 9860.

Good Luck
    05-25-12 07:48 AM
    Using a 9860 right now but am eagerly waiting for the BB10... Loving the big screen, but yearning for a bigger screen. The UI on BB10 also is awesome!!!

If I were you, I'll just get a crappy BB right now and save the money for the real deal: BB10...
    05-25-12 09:48 AM
    I upgrade in december...saving that for the BB10. Got the Torch early today, I feel so much better, I mean just that red blinking light, I can't believe how much I missed it. I am not disapointed at all, even the texting seems easier that the iPhone (for ME anyway). The camera is great, too! It's kinda creepy how much it reminds me of the Storm I had...but only in looks. Thanks!!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-25-12 04:24 PM
    Also waiting out for a BB10 device, but one with a physical keyboard.
    05-25-12 05:23 PM
    I don't think I'll be getting the BB10 with physical keyboard... even the videos on the demo of the BB10 looks so sweeeeeet, and that is a virtual keyboard!!!

I guess it all boils down to personal preference...
    05-28-12 05:07 AM
    I'm afraid there'll be no physical keyboard in BB10.
    05-28-12 05:57 AM
    so what dear??? the keyboard that is not physical but in touch is a good and latest keyboard, why are you prefer the physical keyboard than the touch keyboard??
    05-28-12 06:49 AM
    There will be a physical keyboard, just not right away.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-28-12 07:08 AM
    Yup. RIM has said that there will be physical keyboards BB10, but only to be released after the full touchscreen device.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-28-12 07:41 AM
    Have had my Torch 9850 from Verizon about 4 mos now. I too read all the reviews of locking up and how hard it was to use blah blah. This phone has not locked up once. I have the latest os and lots of apps. The lack of a physical keyboard took about a day to get used to and that was it. I love the screen, no problems with buttons or plastic peeling or any of the other complaints. So don't believe everything you read in those reviews...I really think many on the Verizon site didn't even have a Torch based on their negative reviews.

Anyhow...now what I don't like. The battery does drain faster then my last phone but I have friends with iPhones who have the same issue (and Android) so it is probably just par for the course..get a second battery and problem solved. The thing that irritates me the most is adobe does not have a flash version that supports the Torch. That stinks...can't watch hulu can't get full use out of the beautiful display. Youtube is ok it works but I really hoped I could watch more video. I keep hoping there will be a version available but doesn't look like it. I too owned an iphone (older version) and would not get another. When I went to the Verizon store all they had was iphone and Android. In the cobwebbed corner of the store there was a Bold. They had to go into the back to see if they even had a Torch. That really ticked me off. They kept pushing the iphone on me and I did play with it but I just don't like it. Maybe just don't like feeling like a sheep getting the same phone as everyone else. Anyhow, love my Torch...would adore it if I could get flash and see more video but it will do until BB releases the new phone. I think you will be happy..I certainly am.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-29-12 12:26 AM
    So far, I've had it for about a week. The battery from my old 9930 is the same, and I started using that when I realized I should let the new battery settle first. One person mentioned I would hate the keyboard coming from iPhone, ironically I like it BETTER. I had the iPhone for a while and never got used to it, I can type a whole book already now on the Torch. I'm kinda bummed that it is a little laggy browsing, downloading facebook or things like that, but not enough for me to go back to iPhone. I too would like a physical keyboard and a big screen, but I'm not a Droid person right now, so I'll make do with a virtual keyboard for now.

I don't really care about what Malikiman said, "...the keyboard that is not physical but in touch is a good and latest keyboard..." I would prefer a physical keyboard (I guess becuase I'm sooooo old-fashioned) but right now, like I said, the bigger screen wins.

Side note: The back of this phone is sooooooooo cool looking!!!!
    Chrisy and PatrickMJS like this.
    05-30-12 01:01 PM
    I had the 9860 and it's because of this phone why myself and my daughter I left BB, do your research...the clear coat on the buttons comes off and there is a back button issue with this phone (it stops working or become very difficult to use). The keyboard sucks and coming from an iphone keyboard you won't like it.
    I now have a Galaxy Nexus and I'm not going back...before people start with the battery life statement it's better than the 9860.

Good Luck
    I have the 9860, so does my daughter, and 9850's are what my son-in-law, my niece & 2 of my nephews have. No one has had any of these issues. All of them find the keyboard really easy and prefer it to the physical keyboards. Batteries seem to last all day after an overnight charge. No problem with keys, clearcoat, backbutton... maybe we're just lucky!

When you talk about doing your "research", we all know these forums are frequented to a great extent by folks having issues with their device and are seeking info on how to use their device, tweak it or fix it. So no surprise you read a lot of complaints here. But in my experience, most of the issues raised here on CB are resolved with a tiny amount of user education. But a casual reader of these forums ("research) would get the mistaken impression that all these devices suffer from most of these problems. And yes, if you troll over to the forms where android and i-devices are covered, there are numerous posts moaning about problems with those devices too.

But good luck with your data-hogging, battery-sucking android! I'll stick with my sweet sweet Torch 9860. Best phone I've ever had. And, no, I just can't wait for the BB10 goodness to be released later this year. IMHO, it'll be worthy of lining up for something that REALLY will change everything.
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    05-31-12 11:51 AM
    BAHAHAHAHA!!! That whole "do your research" thing bugged me too...Duh, I mean I STARTED the freaking thread. I haven't had any problems!!!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    05-31-12 12:08 PM
    BAHAHAHAHA!!! That whole "do your research" thing bugged me too...Duh, I mean I STARTED the freaking thread. I haven't had any problems!!!
    It's the arrogance of the BB Haters.

I know the original BB's were dorky and while the iPhone was developing, BB dropped the ball with those os4 & os5 phones that were useless at browsing the web. But most android & iPhone lovers have no idea how BB has advanced and now the new BB's have the best data-efficiency, battery-efficiency, sturdy build quality, military-grade security as well as a superior camera, smooth fast browser, and all the integrated BB goodness. With BB10, it can only get even better!

I just can't understand how adamant and devoted these BB-haters are. Like he HAD to show up and pee on your comment. Like it is some kind of historic event that he decided to get a different brand of phone.
    05-31-12 12:18 PM
    LOL I totally agree about the back. For some reason when I see my phone I think of that old Sega handheld thing from the 90's. I loved those things!
    06-03-12 09:27 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD