First let me say that I love my Playbook and would never give it up..........

Both the items below were purchased around 2/24/2012.

1 - BlackBerry Convertible Case - the case was very nice when I got it and for about 4 weeks it looked great, then I noticed that the top cover started to curl up and at this time it sticks up 1 inch (see photo). I gently massage it back into shape and after a few uses it will curl up again. Oh yeah one other thing you can't charge the PB with the case closed.

2 - BodyGuardz Armor Carbon Fiber - I saw the video here on crackberry and decided to purchase it. I installed it with no issue and it makes the Playbook look awesome and will protect it from scratches; it also did not peel off with use...... but........ It is to smooth. Say you are sitting in a chair or lying down in bed, the slightest movement will cause it to slide and you have to grab it quickly before it falls to the floor. If you have the slightest oil or sweat on your hands it slips in your grip. I put it on the day I got the PB and never really experienced the PB naked until last night when I removed it. The factory rubber coating is great, does not slip out of your grip and will not slide off of your lap.

So now I'm looking for a new case as the convertible case looks like crap and the PB is way to classy to have this curled up mess covering it.

Please give some recommendations for a replacement that work well for you.

Thanks, Kretch
    05-23-12 11:09 AM
    Oh forgot to say.... I did not purchase the items here.
    05-23-12 11:10 AM
    I have the Blurex case for my PB and love it. I ordered off of Amazon, and if you look around the forums here there are others that are similar. One advantage; you can charge it in the case.
    Just curious, did your BodyGuardz leave any residue after you pulled it off? I have the same on my PB, but since I leave it in the case I don't have any issues with it sliding around. If I do want to remove it I was wondering if it came off clean like advertised.
    vag65 likes this.
    05-23-12 11:18 AM
    Same thing started happening to my convertible case but i've had it since launch. I'm not sure if moisture got in there to make it warp but also mine isn't as bad as yours yet..
    05-23-12 11:25 AM
    A question for you. How did your convertible case end up like that? 2 of my friends have had the convertible case for 7 and 5 months and they are still in good shape, with only one of the cases having the "spine" broken and out of shape, but thats from folding the case the wrong way.

As for replacements, do you need the convenience of the "stand" that the convertible case offers?

I have the standard Leather Journal, Leather Envelope, Otterbox Defender and Bluetooth Keyboard Case and work fantastic for their required jobs.
    05-23-12 11:36 AM
    ^^^^^^^^
    +1 for the Blurex case! I've had one on my PB since February, and it shows no wear at all. You CAN charge it with the case closed, and it even sit in my car mount with the case on, but folded back flat.
    vag65 likes this.
    05-23-12 11:38 AM
    Reply to sfmccallie..... I myself was worried that it might peel the rubber coating off or was it going to leave a sticky residue.

Glad to report that did not happen.

I started with a corner, peeling back all the edges then with moderate force it all pulled off.
    sfmccallie likes this.
    05-23-12 11:43 AM
    Yeah, I think it's moisture that causes the convertible case to fold up.....kinda annoying...
    05-23-12 11:50 AM
    WOW! I ordered the BlackBerry mini keyboard and convertible case from CrackBerry (hasn't shipped yet ) I'm wondering if it won't appear like yours after awhile because of the keyboard on the one side.....
    05-23-12 11:53 AM
    I don't think as the keyboard will give it more stability, I think mine does this as I flip the front cover all the way to the back and the keyboard most likely wil not fold back.
    05-23-12 12:58 PM
    I've had my convertible case for 7 months and it's still in the same shape as when I got it.

Yours looks like it was exposed to water or heat..or both.
    05-23-12 01:59 PM
    pretty sure it's the weather that did it to mine, stupid humidity, lol
    05-23-12 02:24 PM
    I'm assuming that if the convertible case was in real leather, it would not be susceptible to such deformity, humidity or not.
    05-23-12 02:44 PM
    I'm assuming that if the convertible case was in real leather, it would not be susceptible to such deformity, humidity or not.
    convertible case has always been a disappointment to me. I was expecting the journal case with a stand function, but sadly not. it doesn't look as good, it doesn't feel as good, when people see the Playbook in the journal case it has WOW factor, when they see it in the Convertible case it has "oh" factor...
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-23-12 02:53 PM
    WOW! I ordered the BlackBerry mini keyboard and convertible case from CrackBerry (hasn't shipped yet ) I'm wondering if it won't appear like yours after awhile because of the keyboard on the one side.....
    I'd actually be concerned with whether or not the keyboard will leave squared imprints on the screen or if they'll even scratch the screen? That's what's holdin me back.
    05-23-12 03:39 PM
    It has never been exposed to water except maybe from the palm of my hand during carry and never left in car or in the sun. It is almost always folder back onto itself 10 to 12 hrs per day.
    05-23-12 03:46 PM
    I use the Carbon Fiber (White) skin. I must say it did look very nice at first. And I absolutely love the fingerprintless, glareless screen protector that came with it. Although the screen protector in-turn takes away from the gloss of my Playbook glass, it's nice to not have to combat the fingerprints, reflections, and glare.

The only negative aspect of the white carbon fiber skin is that the black cloth on the inside of my case rubbed off on it in some places. So the skin looks dirty, . I recently got the Rapid Charging Dock, and that's the only time my Playbook is naked, so no one has seen it. I think i'll try to clean it with some rubbing alcohol or better yet a magic eraser sponge.

As far as my convertible case, its generic (found on ebay) but has lasted well. Only some of the corners have peeled but the underlying cardboard is covered with cloth as well as the wanna be leather finish. No true complaints about it overall. Oh and I've had both for close to 7 months.
    05-23-12 03:48 PM
    It has never been exposed to water except maybe from the palm of my hand during carry and never left in car or in the sun. It is almost always folder back onto itself 10 to 12 hrs per day.
    Have you ever taken it into the bathroom with you while you take a hot, steamy shower. The humidity can do that too.
    05-23-12 03:51 PM
    Not at all.
    05-23-12 04:03 PM
    WOW!MY playbook convertible case looks exactly like yours!
    05-23-12 04:15 PM
    my bb journal case has been great!
    05-23-12 04:23 PM
    I picked up a Targus Truss case at Office Depot the same day I got my Playbook there. Nice case, good protection, built-in easel and you don't need to remove it to charge it. The only drawback is that there's a black plastic strip that runs across the bottom to hold the PB in place -- and that makes it harder to wake up the PB from standby because it blocks part of the border swiping space. Other than that -- a very good case and it's holding up well. I also have the Otterbox for times when I need that sort of protection.
    05-23-12 04:28 PM
    Been using a convertible case on one of my PB's for about 4 months & still looks the same as the day I bought it (I use either the journal case or the softshell case / zipper pouch combo with my 2nd PB). I would have to trash my convertible case if it got to the stage in your pics...... I will say this much......once I have to replace my convertible case (if ever) probably won't replace it with another BB convertible case - I really hate fake leather!! Ha!
    05-23-12 07:28 PM
    I have the Blurex/Brookstone clipcase and the BB Convertible.

Like the clipcase waaay better b/c can can charge it in the case. Feels like I have to wrestle the PB out of the convertible case every time to charge it.

Luckily I got a deal on both.
    05-23-12 07:49 PM
    I've tried a couple of versions of cases. My favorite is the I-Con Click Case. See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...k-case-612211/. You can also see reviews/demos on YouTube.

It's similar in style to your OEM convertible case, but slightly padded, with a carbon fibre material. Very durable and versatile. Mine is over a year old and shows no wear.
    05-23-12 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD