I was updating my Orange Bold to .126 from .92 and the Desktop Manager crashed.

I'm now left Reload Software: 507 displayed on the screen and I have no idea how to reinstall the OS as nothing happens when I now connect to my PC.

I'm in quite the predicament as I'm away on business from tomorrow and completely stuck without a working BlackBerry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    09-15-08 04:06 PM
    Have you tried this?

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

There is also another useful FAQ at: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    Last edited by Montala; 09-15-08 at 04:16 PM.
    09-15-08 04:12 PM
    Thank you for the quick response, I was just trying JL_CMDER which didn't seem to do much.

By following the steps in the link you provided I seem to be getting somewhere now and the feeling of panic appears to be subsiding!

Fingers crossed and thank you again.
    09-15-08 04:21 PM
    Let us know how it turns out for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 04:25 PM
    Seems I spoke too soon.

I followed the Crackberry 101 method to the letter, the only difference being that when I connected the device it showed my PIN rather than displaying USB-PIN:Unknown.

It seems to be working and then I get an error message "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation".

I'm going to have to try the other link Montala kindly provided.....
    09-15-08 04:36 PM
    The second method from the command line gives me the same error message.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
    09-15-08 04:59 PM
    Did you remember to find and nuke the Vendor XML file on your PC before attempting the upload?
    09-15-08 06:51 PM
    I was their mate so I feel for you. I called Orange as soon as I did it and they told me to take it back to Carphone Warehouse. then, et voila. New Bold! I know this will take time to do it but it's an option if prior advice hasn't worked. Please note tho that it has to be done within 28 days of purchase or it's repair only. Good luck mate!
    09-15-08 06:58 PM
    The JL commander should let you wipe it and install an OS. Word of advice also, load something higher than .126. .134 and .147 are both readily available and fix various bugs. Google my screen name......

09-15-08 07:03 PM
    JL_CMDER didn't help. It appeared to wipe the device but I still couldn't reinstall the OS, same error message every time.

My own fault really, I broke one of my golden rules, never try to update your phone late at night when you're travelling the next day. In my defence the signal issues were really starting to annoy me.

I'd like to think that if I had more time I would have got it working eventually but I finally admitted defeat and called Orange this morning who are sending me out another phone tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone who replied.
    09-16-08 05:49 AM
    It is you own risk to do the upgrade. And people that doing the upgrade better gather enough information and knowledge before start.
    I never have problem with upgrading OS, and I modify the OS too. All software problem is fixable
    Just need to be knowledgeable.

09-16-08 06:00 AM
    Just try to reinstall the base blackberry system first, uncheck everything else
    09-16-08 06:10 AM
    Are you trying to upgrade through a USB hub? If so, try to directly connect.

09-16-08 07:56 AM
    @infomax thank you for your comments. I wasn't blaming anyone for the upgrade going wrong. I've upgraded previous BlackBerry devices without incident. On this occasion something didn't work and I was merely asking for help from those who may have experienced the same.

@NoMoreWindows & Mastiha thank you, I was using a USB hub and I did have everything checked. I don't like to be beaten and have nothing to lose so I will give it another go tonight.
    09-16-08 10:29 AM
    Sorry to hear that you are still having problems, and that the first two links didn't help to get you 'up and running' again.

I am sure you have removed and replaced the battery several times already, and it is a shame that no other bright ideas have been forthcoming.

Unfortunately I don't have either the knowledge or the expertise to suggest anything else, so I will just wish you well!
    09-16-08 11:00 AM
    what kind of error is showing up on the device itself?

will it turn on to a white screen or if not, does the LED flash twice red ever 10 seconds?
    09-16-08 11:25 AM
    When I bricked my Curve a few months back, I got the 507. I did a battery pull with the USB connected, and when the battery went back in it lived long enough for DEsktop Manager to find it and "lock it" as it were before the 507 resurfaced.

Edit: ..which meant I could reload the OS
    09-16-08 12:33 PM
    @Montala The links were very much appreciated. I managed to get my old 8120 back to keep me going. I was a huge fan of the Pearl but after using it today I can't understand how I used it for so long and looking forward to getting back to the Bold.

@Sarcasm Detector I'm getting the Reload Software: 507 error on a white screen.

I had another go trying to restore, this time connecting the device directly to the computer rather than via a USB hub and I still get the same error "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation".

@nothing2seehere thanks, I give this a try....
    09-16-08 12:52 PM
    It's alive!

I thought I would try a few more times and it worked. It seems that merely following the steps isn't enough and there is a little bit of voodoo involved.

I have learned a thing or two so although frustrating it has been a valuable exercise.

Now the question is whether I call Orange and cancel my replacement or not.

Thank you again to everyone who went to the trouble of replying. Very much appreciated.
    09-16-08 01:30 PM
    Well done Mish!

I am pleased to hear that you managed to sort it out in the end.

If you haven't had any other problems at all, I think I would be inclined to cancel the replacement, as you don't now have a lot to gain, I wouldn't have thought!
    09-16-08 01:48 PM
    I am relieved to see that all is well Mish. I've upgraded to 147, and I'm tempted to wipe the device and give it a clean install. Just in case I run in to the same issue as you did, can you provide any detail vague or otherwise, as to what voodoo was required? I assumed that nothing2seehere's tip was the winner by the way.
    09-16-08 04:12 PM
    I have tried everything in this site and still no help for my blackberry. I cannot get a connection on my App Loader. When I pull down the drop down menu nothing shows up. Please Help
    11-13-09 12:11 PM
    try using blackberry swiss army knife which can be found discussed in crackberry. I think you will find that this might work for you.
    11-13-09 03:22 PM
    Did you go to:
    My Computer
    C Drive
    Program Files
    Common Files
    Research in Motion
    App Loader???

Once you open App Loader; the Loader file is right there. Don't forget to delete the "Vendor File". I find things work better no matter who your provider is. I am with AT&T; even if it is an Official from AT&T I still delete the Vendor File.
    11-14-09 03:51 AM
    I have tried everything in this site and still no help for my blackberry. I cannot get a connection on my App Loader. When I pull down the drop down menu nothing shows up. Please Help
    Try the battery out while connected to USB trick. The Loader has the option to connect to an unknown device even if your PIN's not recognized. You can also try installing just the RIM USB drivers (available from any carrier download site where official OS releases can be downloaded), and the reboot the computer. When it comes back up, plug directly into a serial USB port, not one on a hub, and be persistent.

I've had times where I was in a hurry and so of course it failed. I tried several combinations of the above and eventually everything worked. 99% of the time it goes fine, but when it doesn't, usually all it takes is persistence.
    11-14-09 04:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD