Just ranting... My household is Playbookless, and everyone is going through withdrawal!

Been a bumpy road so far, which is a shame... 1st PB I bought used off Amazon, got a 16GB instead of 32GB, sent it back.

Missed out on Cowboom's $150 deal. I got my wrong-sized one literally the same day, but by the time I got home and saw that I had been shipped the wrong one, Cowboom's deal was over.

I bought a used 32GB from Cowboom anyway, for $200. Had a blast, everyone in the family fell in love with it (we are all Plants vs Zombies addicts now)... and it bricked Wednesday. After trying just about every recovery method I could find on here, I sent it back.

Ok, I'm 0 for 2 on used Playbooks now... so I ordered a brand new one off Amazon last night. Waiting, waiting... It's almost like a family member is on vacation.
    05-19-12 03:55 PM
    I know how you feel. I shipped my 32GB one back to RIM on Thursday because it wasn't charging on the cradle. I've been checking the status of it on the BlackBerry website every few hours to see if it's finally back on its way to me. This is the third time I've had to send a PB back to them in a year (not complaining).

The first time, they sent me a brand new one, and I got it like 3 days after I sent mine in. I was so impressed. The second time, it took like 11 days because they were repairing my PB and it felt like 11 years! To make matters worse, I wasn't home when Fed Ex brought it back, so I had to SPEED to the Fed Ex warehouse after work to pick it up.

I really hope I get my PlayBook back soon. I've had it since last May, and over time, it has become something I use almost as much as my BlackBerry. I'm sick of lugging my MacBook around.
    Last edited by SK122387; 05-19-12 at 04:33 PM.
    05-19-12 04:30 PM
    I sent my rma back to them on Weds. It was "repaired" and shipped out yesterday (friday) for delivery Monday. I hope that they really fixed it.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    05-19-12 05:51 PM
    Just ranting... My household is Playbookless, and everyone is going through withdrawal!

Been a bumpy road so far, which is a shame... 1st PB I bought used off Amazon, got a 16GB instead of 32GB, sent it back.

Missed out on Cowboom's $150 deal. I got my wrong-sized one literally the same day, but by the time I got home and saw that I had been shipped the wrong one, Cowboom's deal was over.

I bought a used 32GB from Cowboom anyway, for $200. Had a blast, everyone in the family fell in love with it (we are all Plants vs Zombies addicts now)... and it bricked Wednesday. After trying just about every recovery method I could find on here, I sent it back.

Ok, I'm 0 for 2 on used Playbooks now... so I ordered a brand new one off Amazon last night. Waiting, waiting... It's almost like a family member is on vacation.
    Sounds as though you had a string of bad luck. Did you contact BlackBerry PlayBook Technical Support about the bricked tablet?

I must the be luckiest BlackBerry PlayBook buyer and user in the world with seven BlackBerry PlayBooks and not a single tablet has been problematic. Knock on wood. I have one tablet for strictly entertainment stuff for use at home and in the car/truck; two tablets for my professional and academic life; two tablets in reserve (not activated yet) primarily as backups for my professional needs; and two tablets given to relatives. I think I have done my part for Research In Motion.
    alan510, ladybug473 and DPSydBerry like this.
    05-19-12 10:01 PM
    Sounds as though you had a string of bad luck. Did you contact BlackBerry PlayBook Technical Support about the bricked tablet?

I must the be luckiest BlackBerry PlayBook buyer and user in the world with seven BlackBerry PlayBooks and not a single tablet has been problematic. Knock on wood. I have one tablet for strictly entertainment stuff for use at home and in the car/truck; two tablets for my professional and academic life; two tablets in reserve (not activated yet) primarily as backups for my professional needs; and two tablets given to relatives. I think I have done my part for Research In Motion.
    Since I was still in the 30 days, I figured it would be better just to return it. I wasn't sure how RIM would work with me on a used tablet bought from Best Buy's clearing house.

It only worries me that this has appeared to happen to a lot of people... hopefully it's a software or firmware issue that can be resolved with a future update.
    05-19-12 10:19 PM
    Wow, I feel lucky that I haven't had any problems with mine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-19-12 10:32 PM
    Thankfully I haven't had any issues with mine and I bought mine used off craigslist of all things. If I had to nitpick, there is one stuck pixel on my screen but it's hardly noticeable.

Otherwise, this tablet has traveled more miles than my iPad 2, and I often use it to capture video. I'd like a larger model than my 16GB but I can't seem to break myself away from it. Even turning down a trade for a new Nokia Lumia phone. I really need to replace my "CrashBerry" or just buckle down and wipe my 9700 and perform a fresh install of the entire OS (my Bold has been hard freezing with a battery pull being the only fix).

No money to upgrade and I could have gone for the Nokia WP7 phone but I like my PlayBook too much to part with it that easily.

There is so much I can get done on this tablet that I rarely fire up my MacBook despite owning a 64GB iPad 2 as well.
    05-20-12 12:43 AM
    Since I was still in the 30 days, I figured it would be better just to return it. I wasn't sure how RIM would work with me on a used tablet bought from Best Buy's clearing house.

It only worries me that this has appeared to happen to a lot of people... hopefully it's a software or firmware issue that can be resolved with a future update.
    It would be interesting to see some statistics on the failure rate of all the tablets in the market. It is curious that some day people report multiple failures and others like myself have experienced none. Tablets are by their nature vulnerable to damage. It is easy to spill coffee one one, sit on it, drop it, leave it on the dash of a parked car in the sun, etc. Software issues can also be interpreted as hardware failure.
    05-20-12 07:27 AM

It would be interesting to see some statistics on the failure rate of all the tablets of all brands in the market. It is curious that some day people report multiple failures and others like myself have experienced none. Tablets are by their nature vulnerable to damage. It is easy to spill coffee one one, sit on it, drop it, leave it on the dash of a parked car in the sun, etc. Software issues can also be interpreted as hardware failure.
    05-20-12 07:31 AM
    Wow, I feel lucky that I haven't had any problems with mine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Me too. Other than the occasional hard reset here and there I've never had problems with mine.
    05-20-12 10:29 AM
    I too would be interested in seeing some stats on failure rates.

I haven't had any issues with mine but i know a lady who has had lots of problems with hers. I feel like if she would just give it to me along with her phone for an evening (it's a bridge problem) i could maybe fix it or at least pin point the issue - but she's a real estate agent and can't give up her phone that long so she keeps going to Bell and they don't have a clue.
    05-20-12 12:12 PM
    I too would be interested in seeing some stats on failure rates.

I haven't had any issues with mine but i know a lady who has had lots of problems with hers. I feel like if she would just give it to me along with her phone for an evening (it's a bridge problem) i could maybe fix it or at least pin point the issue - but she's a real estate agent and can't give up her phone that long so she keeps going to Bell and they don't have a clue.
    If you think you can pin-point the trouble within an evening then surely an hour or two of this real estate agent's time is a small price considering she repeatedly visits Bell Mobility and gets nowhere as far as a resolution. Plan: Get her drunk. Violate her tablet. Let her wake-up in the morning with a working tablet and a foggy memory.
    05-20-12 02:29 PM
    The only cure for what your going through is to order a new 64gig PlayBook from BlackBerry and when it arrives give your 32gb to another family member. This will cure you and make you popular with at least one other family member.
    05-20-12 02:40 PM
    My 32 GB PB also died yesterday after about 60 days of use where the PB suddenly blacked out for no reason. I had to connect it to an the usb power to start it up again and although it was showing to charge the battery back up to 100%, pulling the power out the PB would shut it off immediately again.

I have read a few threads describing these similarities in detail and so we might have a serious design issue here with the Playbook...hopefully one that can be resolved in software asap. It might be that the OS reads the battery status wrong at 100% and stops charging it, which makes it unable to charge it back to full level, however I am no expert and this is only guessing. Have anyone heard an official explanation from Blackberry for this?

Ironically I have ever only had one other electrical device fail on me which is my SUUNTO wrist watch. The tagline for their brand is "replacing luck", so you can just imagine the irony I felt once it failed after a week. I did replace it and all is good years after, but my trust for it replacing my luck vanished for good For Blackberry to now release a new and wonderful campaign for "people who do", I would be inclined to think that this pattern of failed devices for Playbook users... is more than a mayor concern for securing their brand identity and user trust in the years to come.

I called support today and they are sending me a box to replace or repair my PB. Wonderful service and it should not take long... between a week or two, although I am a little sad that I can not bring it with me on my holiday next week as I had a few books loaded up on it and was looking forward to the read. And then there is sk122387 in the thread above who has sent it back 3 times... Should I.. Or rather can I really trust my data on it when it when it returns? Is it a "doers" device? Will it ring to wake me up in the morning or will I sleep over by a few hours because the battery died again?

For me it will take a while to regain my trust in the device and for that I will currently not recommend it to my friends.
    05-20-12 03:30 PM
    I've dropped my pb several times on a concrete floor, flat, on the edge, spilled water on it, left it outside the rain. I've never had an issue. Just the luck of the draw I guess.
    05-20-12 05:43 PM
    After reading this thread it makes me wonder.

Have had mine for 8 months now and haven't had a single issue other then the occasional hard reboot because the android player froze(think that's mainly my fault for sideloaded, self converted apps), and the one time the battery completely died and had to stack charge it. Other then that I have a perfectly working and reliable PB.
    05-20-12 05:59 PM
    I'm sure there are a very large percentage of flawless tablets out there, and a very small % of ones with odd problems, like any mass produced device. Besides, ya never know why the original owner of mine returned it in the first place.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-20-12 07:58 PM
    On my third Playbook too. Definitely not complaining tho!!!. Story goes bought a used 16GB on for fathers day last year. It lasted about 8 or 9 months then the Camera problem started. Called tech support, but no love. Escalated the problem when they claimed liquid damage. CS took care of me tho, replaced my PB for free with a 16GB. Haha, I hinted at a 32Gb then, but they were out of stock. Received my 2nd 16GB PB and miraculously, it stopped charging via USB, so I tested and tried many different sources but no luck. Ended up buying the rapid charging dock which worked just fine. I ended up calling when I couldn't connect to my PC to perform a backup. So I skipped tech support because of the terrible previous experience and went straight to CS who without question told me they would send me a replacement 32GB. I got it today when I went home for lunch!!! Nice surprise since I wasn't expecting it to arrive so soon. Hmmm lets see, sent it in thursday, got my replacement today! Darn good CS if you ask me!!!
    05-21-12 02:37 PM

Why don't you take your family to the park? The weather is nice, place catch instead of plant vs zombies. Your health thanks you in advance.
    05-21-12 03:21 PM
    Thanks for your concern but we are already a pretty active family. We all have gym memberships, I walk a 5 mile trail regularly, etc etc... the PB is nice for "loafing" time at home, and to pass around in the car when on the road.
    05-21-12 05:08 PM
    If you think you can pin-point the trouble within an evening then surely an hour or two of this real estate agent's time is a small price considering she repeatedly visits Bell Mobility and gets nowhere as far as a resolution. Plan: Get her drunk. Violate her tablet. Let her wake-up in the morning with a working tablet and a foggy memory.
    Lol. That's an idea. Although her husband and mine might object - or worse - approve.

I will tackle her at some point. I hate knowing she's having a bad experience when i know it can be so much better.
    05-21-12 05:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD