The newly released Beta BlackBerry Desktop Software 7.1 Bundle 22 (v7.1.0.24 Bundle 22)
    Includes

Media sync enhancements including individual selection, sync by album, and customizable columns in collections mode
    Support for 4G PlayBooks
    Support for new BlackBerry 7 OS devices
    Major bug fixes and PIM sync improvements as highlighted in the Release Notes (in downloads section)
    Support for BB10 Alpha Developer devices

Guess what: 4G support!
    Last edited by mandony; 05-18-12 at 10:33 PM.
    05-18-12 10:30 PM
    I wonder of they'll also release a wifi only version with the upgraded specs.
    05-18-12 10:33 PM
    Unlikely.

What we have is the WiFi only version.
    05-18-12 10:38 PM
    Unlikely.

What we have is the WiFi only version.
    The 4G will have NFC, DLNA, and a faster processor. So the new one's the Playbook Bold and ours is the Curve? (jk)
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    05-18-12 10:46 PM
    If RIM will not release a wifi version, then they narrow again the potential customers...
    05-18-12 10:57 PM
    The 4G will have NFC, DLNA, and a faster processor. So the new one's the Playbook Bold and ours is the Curve? (jk)

Hmmm. I thought DLNA-support was software related?

Anyway, DLNA is definitely coming to Playbooks very soon. Here is confirmation

BlackBerry PlayBook DLNA Media Streaming Support Will Be Available Soon
    05-18-12 11:01 PM

You linked to an article by Berry Review from April of last year. Not sure how that is confirmation of DLNA coming very soon.
    05-18-12 11:19 PM
    It may be a while before it hits the market. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
    05-19-12 02:18 AM

That article was written over a year ago when Rim was making a lot of statements that turned out to not be accurate.
    05-19-12 05:31 AM
    RIM made a false statement! No way everything is perfect
    05-19-12 06:25 AM
    I assume the 4g pb will also have wifi. Not sure if you're forced to have a data plan.
    05-19-12 07:36 AM
    I guess it will also have wi-fi..I don't see a point in making it 4g-only seeing how you can't possibly get 4g (or even 3g) signal everywhere...sometimes wi-fi will be much faster
    05-19-12 07:50 AM
    I assume the 4g pb will also have wifi. Not sure if you're forced to have a data plan.
    Without a doubt it will have wifi. But my guess of someone being forced for a data plan normally depends on who's selling it
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-19-12 07:51 AM
    If RIM will not release a wifi version, then they narrow again the potential customers...
    I would guess that the 4G also has WiFi, ... so if you son't want 4G - just don't use it....
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-19-12 11:11 AM
    You guys are misunderstanding the debate. The 4G PlayBook will have wifi built in also, there's no doubt about that, but what we're wondering is if they will release a version along with the 4G, that only has wifi, so that you can have the upgraded specs without bothering to have 4G, if you know you're not going to use 4G.
    Barljo and kennyliu like this.
    05-19-12 11:22 AM
    RIM made a false statement! No way everything is perfect
    Richard Dawson voice: Survey says "Faith in Research In Motion at all time low." 43% for the win. Congratulations!
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-19-12 01:30 PM
    You guys are misunderstanding the debate. The 4G PlayBook will have wifi built in also, there's no doubt about that, but what we're wondering is if they will release a version along with the 4G, that only has wifi, so that you can have the upgraded specs without bothering to have 4G, if you know you're not going to use 4G.
    I don't know how all this 4G stuff works, but can't you just choose not to use 4G and run the PB off wifi? Does it add a lot of extra cost to have 4G capability? Are you forced to have a data plan if the PB has 4G built in?
    05-19-12 07:43 PM
    I don't know how all this 4G stuff works, but can't you just choose not to use 4G and run the PB off wifi? Does it add a lot of extra cost to have 4G capability? Are you forced to have a data plan if the PB has 4G built in?
    Concerning cost of operation, this depends upon RIM's sales plan. If they offer the PB though Network operators then one way would be to have the Network sell the PB at discounted price, with specified time based contract.
    I doubt the PB will only operate over Network.
    > You need WIFI if you are off contract.
    > For 'portability' WIFI is essential, as the current model.
    > For Network options with limited bandwidth per month, WIFI is needed.
    > For local connection you will need WIFI for file transfer, printing, etc. (even if not currently available.)

Last edited by mandony; 05-19-12 at 09:19 PM.
    05-19-12 09:17 PM
    My current Playbook better get DLNA support too since they would have it "soon" back in April of 2011. They really should have had the NFC hardware in there too, but obviously Mike and Jim's lack of focus for the company is the cause. That is one thing Thor needs to bring, If a Curve can have NFC, FM, and UMA, then everything better in the lineup should have all those functions too. Sad that my kids 9360 devices have UMA, and my flagship Bold 9900 has inferior WiFi calling, and didn't even have that until months after release. Too much feature fragmentation within there own device lineup.
    05-20-12 09:28 AM
    RIM has to release Playbook 4G with new specs. Hope they do
    05-20-12 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD