I currently own a network locked (Etisalat UAE) blackberry 9900, which I just upgraded to 7.1.0.342 as my network provided me. My question is that what is the difference between locked n unlocked version, as I shall be travelling aboard, and I would like to unlock my phone so that I could use in that country. Does locked version have special features built in only for that operator ? Or its the same ?.. What are the risk to get it unlocked from a local mobile dealer ? Will I be able to update my os to a future build if the update is available ??
    05-13-12 10:48 PM
    The difference is that with an unlocked Blackberry you can go to any GSM service provider that support the phone's bandwidth by just switching out the SIM card. With a locked phone, you cannot do that because the new SIM will not work unless it is from the same service provider, if the network provider is locked. (often, the lock is placed on the network provider)

There is no risks in Canada because according our laws it will not void the warranty. But I can't comment on the rules in UAE. No special features are built into the locking system, but an OS from your service provider may have some special stuff. Also the service books are used by the provider to push "special" bookmarks, apps, etc, etc. By unlocking the phone, you will NOT stop these push data from the provider.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 05-13-12 at 10:54 PM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-13-12 10:51 PM
    Unlocking your device will allow you to use another carrier's sim card in your device.
    05-14-12 09:39 PM
    It is better idea to ask your carrier for unlock code. And inform them about your unlocking status. Even confirm them about warranty.

With vodafone...
    You have to serve 90 days or 3 billing cycles with good payment record..which ever comes first.
    Then you can ask for unlocking code to vodafone.
    But I haven't done it because I don't need switch.
    You can also for international roaming. I have BB8800 for that purpose
    05-14-12 10:50 PM
    U can unlock your phone. Contact me on [email protected] for details.
    05-15-12 07:44 AM
    The difference is that with an unlocked Blackberry you can go to any GSM service provider that support the phone's bandwidth by just switching out the SIM card. With a locked phone, you cannot do that because the new SIM will not work unless it is from the same service provider, if the network provider is locked. (often, the lock is placed on the network provider)

There is no risks in Canada because according our laws it will not void the warranty. But I can't comment on the rules in UAE. No special features are built into the locking system, but an OS from your service provider may have some special stuff. Also the service books are used by the provider to push "special" bookmarks, apps, etc, etc. By unlocking the phone, you will NOT stop these push data from the provider.
    Thanks for this clarification on locked vs unlocked. Is it the same for CDMA, there is a SIM in my device (9930)
    05-15-12 09:44 AM
    Then you would be able to use your device with another compatible carrier. (CDMA)
    05-15-12 09:54 AM
    Is there anyway to check to see if a phone is locked or unlocked? Always wondered about whether there was a way.

Thanks.
    05-15-12 10:16 AM
    Go to Options>SIM card and type mepd. If it says "disabled" next to every item, you're unlocked.
    05-15-12 10:22 AM
    If you want it unlocked id recommend freemyberry.com i have used them many a time and it has always worked . They are free also.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-15-12 01:10 PM
    Is there anyway to check to see if a phone is locked or unlocked? Always wondered about whether there was a way.

Thanks.
    Support - freethisberry.com

LOCKED/UNLOCKED HELP

OS 7 DEVICES - hold down alt key + type mepe
    05-15-12 03:35 PM
    Go to Options>SIM card and type mepd. If it says "disabled" next to every item, you're unlocked.
    disable and network saids inactive (if sim card is in/ disabled if it isnt)
    05-16-12 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD