Video guru's please chime in!

Can anyone tell me why it takes Desktop Manager so long on my mac to upload a video to my PB? I pick the video from my iTunes library and when it does it sync, it does the "optimizing video" but it takes freaking 8 hours or more to do 2 vids.

Really sad....

The videos are MKV format.

Also, why is it the subtitles on some films are lost when converted? Is there a player native to the PB that can read the subtitle file?

I am using Handbrake to convert the videos.

Thanks
    05-12-12 05:18 PM
    Don't know so much about macs, but things go much faster on a PC if you don't use Desktop Manager to transfer files.
    05-12-12 05:42 PM
    Video guru's please chime in!

Can anyone tell me why it takes Desktop Manager so long on my mac to upload a video to my PB? I pick the video from my iTunes library and when it does it sync, it does the "optimizing video" but it takes freaking 8 hours or more to do 2 vids.

Really sad....

The videos are MKV format.

Also, why is it the subtitles on some films are lost when converted? Is there a player native to the PB that can read the subtitle file?

I am using Handbrake to convert the videos.

Thanks

I never use DM on my iMac to transfer videos. Simply attach the PB to the iMac via USB, get a Media icon on the Desktop, DM pops up but I just minimize it and do direct drag and drop from the iMac HDD to my PB ("Videos" folders).

MKV's are hit and miss - for some people they work. For me trying to play 10GB 1080p Blue-Ray rips doesn't work so YMMV.
    05-12-12 05:58 PM
    AHHHHH thanks!
    05-12-12 06:03 PM
    If the mkv files contain ac3 audio, they will not work on the pb. I suspect a lot of folks do their own conversions using a variety of tools. There are a number of threads with a slew of recommendations on converters.

If you can find the subtitle files (xxx.SRT), there's a 3rd party app which can play them and provides a lot of flexibility in displaying the subtitles, size, color, font, location. MovieSRTPlayer.

A new streaming tool supposedly support subtitles and automatically converts non-standard format for the pb.
    05-12-12 08:24 PM
    I,ve found the desktop manager horrible with video's so I convert my own. I think the reason its taking so long is its trying to convert your video to a supported format.
    05-12-12 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD